Amazon Basics - Ordered vs Delivered

AA Cycler

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I friend of mine pointed out the Amazon Basics have a new design and I should retest them. I went ahead and ordered

• 8 x AAA 850mAh - China - green with dark gray top and bottom
  • 4 x AA 2500mAh - China - green with dark gray top and bottom
  • 4 x AA 2000mAh - Japan - green with black top and bottom
  • 4 x AAA 800mAh - Japan - gree with black top and bottom

amazon_ordered.png

And this is what I received:

amazon_delivered.jpg

The 8 x AAA 850mAh made in China and the 4 x AAA 750mAh made in Japan are equivalents to what I ordered, but the old design. OK, fair enough.

But WTF is that 4 x 2000mAh Chinese ones and who ordered 4 x 18650 LiION cells? This is 36 Euro worth of crap I don't need.

Does anybody know how to make Amazon ship the exact thing they show on their web site?

Regards,
AA Cycler

Last edited:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, those are 9900 mAh 18650 cells! That's a huge improvement over the regular Samsung 30Q and Sanyo GA that everyone raves about.

Order placed!

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you contacted Amazon to let them know they shipped you the wrong item?

john61ct

Newly Enlightened
Wow, those are 9900 mAh 18650 cells! That's a huge improvement over the regular Samsung 30Q and Sanyo GA that everyone raves about.

Order placed!
You are foolish to believe lies, physics will not allow that to be real.

Link please?

Have you got the ability / gear to do an accurate CC load discharge test to get their actual capacity when they arrive.

And next time get some discussion feedback before pulling the trigger so fast.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The Li-ions were probably mislabeled from the manufacturer; just let Amazon know they sent the wrong thing and they'll fix it.

Mr. LED

Enlightened
You are foolish to believe lies, physics will not allow that to be real.

Link please?

Have you got the ability / gear to do an accurate CC load discharge test to get their actual capacity when they arrive.

And next time get some discussion feedback before pulling the trigger so fast.

Relax... he was just being sarcastic.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
So you can't buy 9900 mAh 18650 cells? What's next the 100000 lumen headlights being only 300 lumens or so? Wait for it. 😁

Druski

Newly Enlightened
So are the "new" Amazonbasics any good or not?

I am also curious to the answer to this very question. Any good? or Not? :thinking:

Here in Canada sometimes the selection / brands available is limited. I need to order some AA and AAA rechargeables and see that Amazon Basics are changed and they all now appear to be green with a black top and bottom (no longer white ones and black ones etc...)

I am wondering if the new ones are still re-badged Eneloops and if they are from Japan or China etc... I have never bought the Amazon Basics before but I have read that they are pretty good (or were at least up until the change - the jury is still out on the new ones?)

All my existing batteries are Eneloop standard white 2nd Gen and are about 10 years old now. I have been happy with thier performance, however I cannot find Eneloops here now at a reasonable price so I am looking at the Amazon Basics. (I do have 4 of the Eneloop XX PRO AA 2nd Gen as well - work great but cost is prohibitive)

4136crE8PrL._AC_SR320,320_.jpg

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here in Canada sometimes the selection / brands available is limited.

All my existing batteries are Eneloop standard white 2nd Gen and are about 10 years old now. I have been happy with thier performance, however I cannot find Eneloops here now at a reasonable price

In Canada, I always order them from Costco's on-line store. They go on sale about once a year, but even at their regular price they're cheaper than anywhere else in Canada. They're also Japanese Eneloops. You can get them in packs of 16 AA's or 12 AAA's, or a smaller kit that comes with a nice charger.

I only buy the regular versions. I find the Eneloop Pro's way too expensive for what they are.

Druski

Newly Enlightened
In Canada, I always order them from Costco's on-line store. They go on sale about once a year, but even at their regular price they're cheaper than anywhere else in Canada. They're also Japanese Eneloops. You can get them in packs of 16 AA's or 12 AAA's, or a smaller kit that comes with a nice charger.

Ha! Funny you should mention Costco - I forgot to look there yet that is where I bought all my Eneloops 10 years ago... still a fair bit more then the Amazon Basics but I guess in the long run it's not that big a difference over the lifespan etc..

I did not know that Costco did "sales" - but I may just order them and be done with it.

I only buy the regular versions. I find the Eneloop Pro's way too expensive for what they are.

Agreed - unless you require them to deliver the performance and you make your living with them (flash photography comes to mind) then I don't think the added cost is worth it either.

Kurt_Woloch

Enlightened
Somehow I expected something like this to happen when I read something like "Design subject to change" on the Amazon website... however, it gets worse if they mix up cells made in Japan with those made in China, and much worse is the mix-up with Li-Ion cells which are a totally different item from what was ordered.

To be fair, I think that's what distinguishes cheap house brands from name brands... you don't know exactly what's inside, and what's inside is subject to change. However, some brand name manufacturers are doing the same... even Eneloops come from China instead of Japan in some regions. It basically says "If you're buying Amazon Basics, you get rechargeable AA batteries (if that), but it doesn't matter if they are made in China or Japan".

I've seen similar mix-ups with Amazon and other items as well, unfortunately. Some weeks ago, I looked for a converter from HDMI to old-fashioned video output because my cleaning woman wants to connect a Playstation 3 she got to an old CRT TV. On Amazon, I actually couldn't be quite sure which converter I was looking at. The description on the page was different to the photo shown... one said from HDMI to Video, and the other way said the other way round. Granted, these things cost under € 20, but you can't really be sure if you order the correct one. In contrast to that, Conrad has a store here in Vienna where you can look at those items in person and buy them, but they are around € 60.

Similar to that is a relatively new kind of electric powered ride-on for children, a Mercedes 6x6 which has four powered wheels and a parent seat and is able to hold (and move) 200 or even 250 lbs. Well, on Amazon's page some people complained that they actually got an item with only one powered wheel which "doesn't go anywhere" if an adult sits on it. Apparently there was another mix-up, this time with a cheaper model with only 1 motor instead of 4 which adults aren't supposed to ride along on.

And I saw a possible mix-up on another page with go karts for children where there is an electric and a pedal-powered variant, but it's not really clear which one it is you're ordering.

One reason for such mix-ups might be that Amazon has a structure where an item may have several variants, and all reviews apply for all variants of that item. I guess this was originally supposed to cover different colors of the same item, but 3rd party sellers found creative ways to use (and abuse) that. More harmless variants are children ride-on animals where each variant is a different kind of animal, but they all share the same specs. But it gets worse when for Amazon Basics rechargeables, "C" and "D" cells are just 2 variants of the same item, and for the HDMI converter I mentioned above, "HDMI to Video" and "Video to HDMI" are also just 2 variants of the same item, and there are more variants to the same item doing yet different conversions.

And those are just examples... I've seen quite a few more items where the variants are much too different from one another to be lumped into the same item. I think Amazon should look out for such mix-ups and fix them.

john61ct

Newly Enlightened
I think Amazon should look out for such mix-ups and fix them.
If wishes were fishes.

Amazon makes decisions on what is most profitable.

Not to be a excellent supplier from the customer POV.

Attention paid by intelligent diligent knowledgeable humans is **the** rarest most expensive resource

and the one factor completely squeezed out by the "race to the bottom" market driven by low pricing above all.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Yes, I find that the reviews from different sellers (both first-party and third-party) and (slightly to moderately) different items all now tend to be lumped together on the same page.

Which makes them, if not totally useless, rather more unhelpful :sigh:

This is, of course, a different issue from errors in fulfillment and/or commingling of unlike warehouse stock.

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
With all the variations with Amazon batteries, why would anybody take a chance for, at most, a couple of bucks in price? Same with IKEA, IMO.

My gal bought me 8 of the Eneloop AA Botanics (3/18) for $18.xx shipped and I just got a 16 piece blister pack of white standards dated 10/19 for $36.xx shipped.

That piece of mind is worth a few bucks, to me.

Chris

marcelo_schmi

Newly Enlightened

Order placed!