Newb question: Cree XM-L2 wiring two drivers: one for each set of terminals OK?

roblights7

Newly Enlightened
I'm trying to mod a Ryobi P705 with a Cree XM-L2 and want to drive it with 2 amps. My question is, can I get two buck pucks @ 1000ma and wire one to each of the two +/- terminals on the Cree? Wasn't sure if it will work/be safe and what the effects on the LED would be.

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Edit: Ignore my driver advice here. See below for DIWdiver's much better answer.

Haven't looked up the Ryobi pack voltage (or the light itself), or the max voltage of the buck puck (well, not in over 10 years anyway), but if both V's are within spec I don't see why two in parallel shouldn't work. Just make sure they're in parallel at the batteries also.

And if the heatsinking is at least halfway decent, the XM-L2 should handle 2A. Do you happen to know the lights' current drive current (pun intended)?

Good luck, and let us know how it goes. And, welcome to CPF! :welcome:

Last edited:

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
The first thing to realize is that unlike some other LEDs, the XML series does not have 2 independent emitters. It only has one emitter, and the MCPCB that you have has brought each terminal out to two pads. This is to make it easier to wire several in parallel.

If you were to run the buckpucks on two independent and isolated power sources, this would probably work okay. But running one battery, one LED, and two buckpucks is not something it's designed for. A quick google search reveals that some people have tried it with poor results. Several said you get nowhere near twice the current (and as a designer of buck regulator circuits, this does not surprise me). One reported very high current for a brief period before the LED failed. I suspect that was due to a wiring mistake, but there's no way to know.

Now, if you chose a part like the XHP50 which actually has independent emitters, this would work fine from a single power source. This part actually has 4 emitters, wired as 2 isolated strings of 2 emitters.