Belt Loop Lamp - Improvised hands free method of using flashlight

spyderco monkey

Newly Enlightened
Hands-Free-Belt-Loop-Light.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/1nPN3Cj/Hands-Free-Belt-Loop-Light.jpg

[FONT=&quot]Last night I was pondering how to use my standard EDC flashlight as an improvised headlamp.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This lead me to this idea, which I'd call a 'Belt Loop Lamp.'[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Just stick your EDC flashlight through the belt loop on your hip, with the pocket clip over the belt loop, and voila! A very capable hands free light.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]While its not suitable for reading like a headlamp, it works great for walking around at night hands free. On my Levis, I was able to fit a flashlight with up to a 1" diameter body, so it should work with the vast majority of pocket sized lights.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Try it for yourself.[/FONT]

Rancho5

Newly Enlightened
That's a great idea. With a belt, it would be plenty snug. Thanks.

Kitchen Panda

Enlightened
A reversible pocket clip or one that allows clipping in both directions is useful for this sort of situation. The problem may be that, for those of us with a beer belly, the light tends to aim down. I've found this sort of arrangement impossible to aim where I need it. I've also tried clipping a single AA light to the brim of a hat; again, aim is a problems. But in a pinch, when having your hands free is more important then exact aim, this can be a useful improvisation.

Bill

spyderco monkey

Newly Enlightened
Playing around with the idea some more, another big advantage the 'belt loop lamp' offers over a headlamp is that its not accidentally blinding when working in a group.

When using a headlamp with a group, when you turn your head to look at someone, the headlamp ends up shining in their face and eyes.
confused-old-man-wearing-a-head-torch-HN0BFM.jpg

With the 'belt loop lamp', the light is projecting forward from the waist, so much less light is heading towards a partners eyes when you're facing them.

This is especially advantageous if you're running higher lumens; accidentally shining 10lm in someones face is annoying at night, whereas accidentally shining 100-1000lm will have them seeing spots.