"BIG LEEF" and other quandries..

lightknot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Questions:
Is there any demand, need, or enthusiasm for these three items?

1. Big LeeF flashlight bodies and parts. These were made at the LeeF factory in the USA. They take 26650 cells and Maglite heads. See pics below for clarification. They are very robust, with quality switches and HA III anodizing. The tubes are fluted with teardrop flutes similar to old school Surefire items. They have the original LeeF logo.
QqVnJ6.jpg
F2jdhY.jpg
zE4k6c.jpg

2. Vital Gear E2C adapters. These are HA anodized in black. They allow for the use of C series heads and bezels (KL4, Z44 and similar) on E series bodies. (E2E, E1B and similar). Edit 04/17/20: These might happen.
oC2126.jpg
m5Yp9T.jpg

3. Vital Gear FB2 flashlight bodies. Black, 2 cell, (CR123)HA III anodized aluminum, knurled bodies with scalloped tail caps and black chrome deep carry pocket clips. These are all NOS, and have been in storage for some time. The switches are prone to corrosion and subsequent failure without maintenance. These could be offered in three versions. Edit 04/17/20: These will probably NOT happen, due to switch issues.
A) VG FB2 BK in the sealed package Brand New (NOS). Switch maintenance would be up to the enthusiast.
B) Open package VG FB2 BK with the stock (silent, forward clicky) switch, which has been inspected and tested. Maintenance would be performed if necessary to bring the switches up to spec.
C) VG FB2 BK with a new aftermarket switch installed and tested. These would be reverse clicky switches with gold springs pre-soldered.
zFGRNS.jpg
Ny27zM.gif

Big LeeF gear is in testing, and we are currently sorting what fits and what does not. The VG E2C adapters might happen. The VG FB2 flashlight bodies will probably not happen as there are switch concerns. Comments welcome.

Last edited:

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Opinion Needed: We are thinking of bringing these flashlight items to the Marketp

Hi Lightknot. On the Leef bodies is there something in the neck of them? A bulb holder or heat sink of some kind or is it just hollow?

lightknot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Opinion Needed: We are thinking of bringing these flashlight items to the Marketplace

Hi Vestureofblood, They are hollow. Thanks for the question.

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Opinion Needed: We are thinking of bringing these flashlight items to the Marketp

I'd rather the sealed package Vital Gear FB2-BK if these are the newest style forward clicky version. I only remember people having problems with the old version. I've never had any problems with the later revision forward clicky, and I hate reverse clickies. Did they ever make a 3 cell FB3-HA-BK? I don't recall ever seeing those. I have a few of the NAT version.

lightknot

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi AD, They made the FB1 and FB2 in HA and black, but I've only ever seen the FB3 in HA. Hopefully, this new batch of NOS FB2's will be good to go, straight out of the package. LK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast

How many D cells do the leef bodies hold, and what is the price?

lightknot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Opinion Needed: We are thinking of bringing these flashlight items to the Marketplace

They hold one 26650 battery per body tube. They are not for sale yet. This is a feeler thread to gauge interest. If there is sufficient interest we will bring these to market. Projected price would be $15-$20 per body part. That could change either way. The switches, and indeed all of the parts, are very high quality; on par with all other LeeF items. Some people have suggested the term "Surefire Maglite" suggesting an American made, high quality, tactical Maglite style flashlight.

Last edited:

fatts

Newly Enlightened

I'd be in for an E2C assuming the price hasn't changed much from previous rounds of sales. I prefer this style over the smooth ones which offer no grip, which is a huge hassle when it comes to removing the heads.

lightknot

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thank you. These adapters offer HAIII anodizing, "X" shaped o-ring seals, and, as you mentioned, very positive griip. These E2C's adapters would be very reasonably priced; easily the least expensive E2C adapters on the market.

Last edited:

808vudoo

Enlightened

Much thanks for making these old school options available again...In for sure!

lightknot

Flashlight Enthusiast

Absolutely. Looks like the "Big LeeF " will happen. The VG E2C adapters are a probably, and the VG FB 2's probably not.

Last edited:

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast

I wish the FB1 bodies were available, they were cool lego's with the E2C adapters.

lightknot

Flashlight Enthusiast

I can still get the FB2's in quantity, in black and HA; but the FB1's are nowhere to be found. I always like that small body too.

lightknot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Big LeeF bodies in hand

The Big LeeF gear is in testing, and we are currently sorting what fits and what does not.

These were made at the LeeF factory in the USA. They take 26650 cells and Maglite heads. Machining is very high quality, much higher than expected. Anodizing is also very strong, consistent and uniform. Tail switches are robust, w/ big springs and long-ish rubber boots. They have a very positive forward click. Triad style tails with three scallops, all body parts are fluted. The heads and tails have three groups of four flutes each, for a total of 12 flutes per tube. They are also each marked with the LeeF logo. Body tubes have alternating flutes and diamonds around the entire circumference of each tube. All parts are thus high grip, and feel very solid in hand. Material appears to be 6061 aluminum or perhaps 7075. All parts take O-rings, which have yet to be sourced. The tails and body tubes take the same size ring and the head rings are larger. Machining is spectacular throughout with rounded edges, clean, clear lines, and precise threads.

Questions / comments welcome.
LMzOg8.jpg

Last edited:

lightknot

Flashlight Enthusiast
These Big LeeF parts are coming on my radar once again as we go into 2024. Please let me know if anyone is interested.
There are about 200 body tubes and 11 complete tailcaps. The do indeed work with Surefire M3 and Maglite heads. Also some other neat LeeF items will be offered.

Also, I bought out the factory of Vital Gear E2C adapters. Plenty left for anyone who needs one. (or a hundred)

Look for both the Big LeeF and VG E2C's in the marketplace.

Last edited:

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast

They hold one 26650 battery per body tube. They are not for sale yet. This is a feeler thread to gauge interest. If there is sufficient interest we will bring these to market. Projected price would be $15-$20 per body part. That could change either way. The switches, and indeed all of the parts, are very high quality; on par with all other LeeF items. Some people have suggested the term "Surefire Maglite" suggesting an American made, high quality, tactical Maglite style flashlight.
Same prices projected for 2024?