The Fenix-Store        
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Official Malkoff M91B N 5000K XP-L v2 Group Buy! ALL SHIPPED

Default The Official Malkoff M91B N 5000K XP-L v2 Group Buy! ALL SHIPPED

Phase 4 Dropins Shipped, Tracking numbers sent! (7/4/20)

Phase 3.875- dropins are finished, I should have them by the weekend. (6/23/20)

Phase 3.
    LEDs are here! Payment PMs have been sent to EVERYONE. LEDs ship to Gene tomorrow, Tuesday June 2nd 2020. If you do not have a Payment PM, please contact me ASAP. (6/1/20)

DHL tracking says LEDs will be here Monday, June 1st. Will ship to Gene promptly. Payment details being finalized now. Expect payment PMs to happen over the next week. (5/27/20)
    LEDs have shipped from China, ETA TBD. Also waiting for final price from Gene. I will update the moment I have more information. Payment amount still pending. Please standby! (5/21/20)

Phase 2.2- GB is a go. Extra LEDs being ordered. 5 more spots open! I will be finalizing payment amounts by 5/15/20.
    (5/13/20)https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...=1#post5390075
    Phase 1 Complete, On to Phase 2 pending Gene's reply. GB is a go.

This is a Group Buy for much sought-after M91B N module.

LED is a 5000K XP-L HD V6 3D from MTN. LEDs were $5.25/ea + shipping

There is a minimum order quantity of 20 units, CONUS shipping only, further upon special arrangement. Prepay price is $TBD (This is the cost of the drop-in from Gene and the cost of the LED), plus shipping to be exactly calculated later (assume $9.75~ for Priority Flat Rate CONUS). Exact dropin price is YET TO BE DETERMINED, for the first run of M91BNs was around $93 IIRC.

20 is the minimum and I will do my best to include everyone who signs up prior to May 10, 2020.

If this sounds interesting, read onÖ

All communication should take place in the comments for transparency. I wonít respond to PMs regarding this GB unless otherwise arranged. The exception is for non CONUS or international shipping inquiries. Past experiences have shipping to Canada at around $27, and shipping to Australia around $40.

Phase 1 ĖSign-Up:

- Indicate your willingness to participate in the group buy by posting the following in the comments: ďIím in for QTY xĒ
    - Posting that you want to participate is a firm commitment to buy. Others are depending on you! Donít indicate that youíre going to participate if youíre ďjust thinking about it.Ē Think about it first, then decide, then sign-up.
    - Sign-up will last through 2359 hours on May 10th, 2020.
    - If we donít get to 20, then we will shut down. (LOL)

Phase 2 Ė Pre-Pay:

- If we get at least 20 buyers, you send $TBD to me via PayPal Goods and Services. This breaks down to TBD
    - PP G&S protects you through Purchase Protection, so no gnashing of teeth over the small extra amount.
    - Exact details on the information to send with your PP will be provided later!
    - Pre-pay will last through 2359 hours on May 17th, 2020.
    - If some buyers donít pay by the Phase 2 deadline, I will possibly (a) kick in the difference or (b) shut down the GB and refund your money via PP by May 20th, 2020.
    - Once you pay, youíre locked in until (a) you receive your head (b) the GB shuts down or (c) you trade your spot.

Phase 3 Ė LED ordering/Manufacturing:

- Once I have the LED's in hand the order will be placed with Gene
    - I will post an update once the LED's have been ordered and have shipping confirmation.
    - We wait ? During this time, I will check in with Gene and post updates in the comments.
    - This phase ends when Gene ships the drop-ins to me.
    - This on average takes 3-4 weeks.

Phase 4 Ė Shipping to you:

- This phase starts when I receive the package from Gene.
    - Assuming we make it this far, you will have 2 weeks to pay exact shipping costs, via Priority Mail Small Flat Rate Box, PLUS an equal share of the bulk shipping cost of all the drop-ins from Gene to me. I will calculate the individual shipping costs later, and post details on how to pay. You will pay this via PayPal.
    - I will PM you the tracking number after I ship. Shipping is CONUS only unless otherwise arranged. International shipments will be via Priority Flat Rate box to ensure proper padding and protection.
    - I will provide an option for insurance, if you want to pay extra for this. Please make note of this during the shipping payment period via PM.
    - Not really sure what to do if you pay for the drop-in, but donít follow up with the shipping cost. I guess I will hang onto it for another 30 days before I can dispose of it as I wish. Doubt we will have this problem.
    - Once I ship to you and provide a tracking number, Iím out of the loop. Iím not responsible for lost or delayed items once USPS is in possession of your drop-in. If youíre worried about this, I will provide an option for USPS insurance.

FAQs:

(1) What is a Malkoff M91B N? What exactly am I purchasing?

From the Malkoff Web-site.

This is the Malkoff Devices P90 style High Output Drop-in LED Upgrade Conversion with solid brass heatsink construction. The output is approximately 1100 measured out the front lumens at turn on and 950 continuous. The current draw is approximately 1400ma at 9 volts. The full output runtime is approximately 30-45 minutes on three CR123 primary batteries with a nice long taper as voltage drops. It will easily illuminate objects at 200+ feet and will blind opponents within a 100 foot radius. The LED is a Neutral White (5000K) Cree XP-L. CRI goal is hopefully 80.

This design utilizes a custom orange peel reflector designed by Don McLeish. The reflector offers a very nice balance between throw and spill. It is an outstanding room lighter and short to medium spotter. It was designed specifically for use in the Malkoff MDX-16.5 Head with the Malkoff MD3 and MD4 Bodies and Surefire 9P, Z3, and C3 Flashlights. It may or may not fit other models. The input voltage is 5.5 - 12 volts. Below 5.5 volts it will drop out of regulation. Below 5 volts it will begin to flash and below 4.5 volts it will shut off. This dropin is protected against reverse polarity.

This GB is for the Drop In only.

(2) Can I change my mind and back out?

During Phase 1, yes.

After you pay in Phase 2, no. Youíre locked in, unless we shut down. These times are unprecedented. I will work with everyone in whatever reasonable capacity to resolve all issues as they arise.

(3) Can I trade my spot?

During Phase 1, no need. Just post that you want to be removed from the list.

If/when we go into Phase 2 and beyond, it depends. If you haven't paid, post that you want out. If we have anyone in spots 26 and up, they will have the option to buy in your place, in ascending order. If youíve already paid me, then the person (in spot 26 and up) taking your place will pay you directly, per your private arrangements. If this happens, both people will need to post publicly in the comments that theyíve worked it out satisfactorily and that Person B is taking Person Aís spot. Again, if youíve already paid, your only way out is to get someone from the backup list to pay you for your spot.

(3) What tint and emitter?

-5000K XP-L V6 3D from MTN Electronics.

(4) Minimum order quantity?

20. If we donít get 20 to sign up or pay, the GB will shut down.

If we get more than 20, I will do my best to include the additional spots in the order. So if you want one, sign up now! I try to get everything rolling once I have everyone who has currently signed up paid. My priority at which point is to get the committed members their product, not to allow later entries.

(5) How long will it take?

According to Gene, depending on production time, somewhere between x weeks after Gene has received the LED's. Not x weeks from when you pay. General turnaround for my Group Buys thus far is around 5-7 weeks from the end of Phase 1. This is not a promise or guarantee.

(6) How much profit are you making on this group buy?

For this group buy I have no plans of making money. The generosity of many members here has been truly exceptional so far been extremely appreciated in terms of time compensation. This is by no means an expectation of anyone, however for now this system works and I'm willing to run with it regardless of any "chances" taken, for lack of a better word. That's just my thoughts, in the interests of full disclosure.

All money sent to me/ my Paypal stays in my Paypal until I send it as payment to Gene.

(7) What if Iím dissatisfied with the final product?

You would contact Gene, not me. Once I ship you the drop-in, Iím out of the loop (make sure you understand the shipping terms).

Thanks to the following CPF'ers.
    lion504: for letting me use his GB format.
    GreatScoot: for letting me basically copy his M91BN group-buy!

-Special thanks to Gene for putting up with us crazy CPF'ers and indulging our whims.
    Last edited by dotCPF; 07-04-2020 at 09:37 AM.

Default Re: The Official Malkoff M91B N 5000K XP-L Group Buy!

M91N (5000K).

1. id30209
    2. BigBaller
    3. Grizzman
    4. Grizzman
    5. Not So Bright
    6. NutSAK
    7. marco.weiss
    8. Mister S
    9. Scout24
    10. thermal guy
    11. dotCPF
    12. double_r76
    13. kowlick
    14. StagMoose
    15. marco.weiss
    16. Marc55
    17. WhiskeyLight
    18. nmiller
    19. Jhay
    20. TheGreatBamReno
    21. dotCPF
    22. JHay
    23. knucklegary
    24. Marc55
    25. RenegadeThreads
    26. reserved

***If you see your name on this list, you do not have to re-submit your interest. If you would like any further changes, simply comment such (more or less etc....)
    Last edited by dotCPF; 05-27-2020 at 10:48 AM.

Is it a m91b or a m61? The description talks about both drop ins

91, FAQ info was a missed copy-paste replacement.

Flashaholic*

Is this Group Buy (XPL 5000k) an extension of first back in July 2019, using same emitter?

Do you have specs (Bin?) from last M91BN Group Buy

Thx..

Not directly, GS has linked me the emitters in the past and if they are available I will use them. I need to dig all that up, more LED information will be posted this weekend or early next week so I can do some more research.

Default Re: The Official Malkoff M91B N 5000K XP-L v2 Group Buy!

I'm in for 1.

Iím in for Qty = 1.

Thanks!
    -Randy
    "My parents were very pleased that I was in the army. The fact that I hated it somehow pleased them even more." -Barry Humphries

Iím more of if my light works when I need it Iím good kind of guy. Talking about tint and color and crap really is not important to me. BUT my 5000K M91 is the exception to that for me. Itís absolutely fantastic and compared to my standard M91 there really is no comparison. It stomps it in color and the way it makes things look.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    Iím more of if my light works when I need it Iím good kind of guy. Talking about tint and color and crap really is not important to me. BUT my 5000K M91 is the exception to that for me. Itís absolutely fantastic and compared to my standard M91 there really is no comparison. It stomps it in color and the way it makes things look.

I think the 80 CRI makes a big difference here. I'm going to do my best to find that emitter, if not a similar one.

List updated.

Quote Originally Posted by dotCPF View Post
    I think the 80 CRI makes a big difference here. I'm going to do my best to find that emitter, if not a similar one.
    We all could put some effort in finding it. Thereís gota be some 80-90CRI left somwhere.

Quote Originally Posted by id30209 View Post
    We all could put some effort in finding it. Thereís gota be some 80-90CRI left somwhere.

80 CRI is very hard to find. However, I think another serious contender is the XP-L HI v6 if people would be willing to entertain it. Tints are incredibly good, and it has extremely high output and efficiency. There are HD versions as well. Definitely need to dig deeper myself, I would definitely welcome any submissions.

With folks talking about the emitter used in the prior BN run, for whatever reason it was an unusually good match to its reflector. A rather concentrated hotspot for the M91, and a complete absence of rings - unlike previous M91 generations. Hard to improve on perfect.
    Last edited by Kestrel; 05-01-2020 at 08:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    With folks talking about the emitter used in the prior BN run, for whatever reason it was an unusually good match to its reflector. A rather concentrated hotspot for the M91, and a complete absence of rings - unlike previous M91 generations. Hard to improve on perfect.

I have found the rings issue to be more related to the 16.5 head, when I put my Nichia Ms in a SureFire host, the rings disappear.

It was indeed a very nice combination of decent hotspot intensity but also wiiiiiide and semi-floody. Given the output, it does almost seem to be refined in and of itself.

Flashaholic*

I was in on last GB #8 module.. Installed in 22.3 head with hi/lo, MD4 2x18650.. The tint and beam rocks. Rings are not an issue.. and like Krestel said it's hard to improve on perfection

How are we doing on the emitter specs? Iíd strongly consider committing to an improved cri version of some type...

Gene just released new Wildcats with only XPL emitters. Cool version 5700K and HI CRI 4000K. He might have some info about other options availability...

IF needed to reach the minimum 20, I would be in for one, especially IF the emitterís the same as the last group buy which I was lucky enough to pick up on CPF afterwards. I know itís a lot of IFs, but itís my favorite module and I love that it runs on single cells but I donít really need another. But when was that ever a deterrent with anyone on this site, right??

A reasonably wide discussion here; as this is an official GB thread, I would suggest narrowing the topic down to that. Thanks in advance,

After much research I cannot find any XP-L 5000K with over 70CRI. There are some 80 CRI 4500Ks out there. What about the XP-L HI?

Another option is the LH351D, similar footprint to the XP-L, and there's a batch of 5000K with great tint and 90 CRI.

After much research I cannot find any XP-L 5000K with over 70CRI. There are some 80 CRI 4500Ks out there. What about the XP-L HI?

Another option is the LH351D, similar footprint to the XP-L, and there's a batch of 5000K with great tint and 90 CRI.
    I'll be in for 1 if it's the LH35

After much research I cannot find any XP-L 5000K with over 70CRI. There are some 80 CRI 4500Ks out there. What about the XP-L HI? [...]
    I recall there was a conversation about the prior M91BN GB perhaps going for one single color temp as a compromise; what about going in that direction for this run?
    Just thinking out loud over here; no dog in this fight as I'm now set for 5000K's myself.
    Edit: Or am I just muddying the waters, if 5000K has already been decided upon ?
    Last edited by Kestrel; 05-03-2020 at 07:36 PM.

I would gladly wait to get the exact LED that was used in the initial group buy. What info would I use to search for it?

An 80 CRI 4500K would certainly be acceptable to me if 5000K variants are truly no longer available.

I'm not interested in taking a gamble on using a completely different emitter.
    Last edited by Grizzman; 05-03-2020 at 07:41 PM.

5000K was more-or-less decided as the preferred version, those currently signed up all had specified 5000K so for this one my goal is to stick with that. Any big changes and I'd likely just re-boot the GB assuming we don't reach critical mass or what-have-you.

I think it's VERY important that everyone understands there is always a slight gamble even if I were able to order off the same reel of LEDs from the last group-buy- which I can't as that was well over a year ago at this point. Especially with CREE emitters there tends to be a large degree of variation of tints from one LED to the next. The "Tint Lottery" is in full effect by-and-large for group buys of such small numbers. Unless you buy LEDs by the thousands you have virtually no control over chromaticity bins.

Right now my strongest potential is this fella:

https://intl-outdoor.com/cree-xp-l-v6-3d-bare-led.html

5000K V6 (highest efficiency) and "3D" should be on the BBL or just below. I will attempt to contact individuals who have purchased this emitter before. I cannot guarantee 80CRI, I will again see if Hank has any more information.

There are no 80CRI XPLís in 5000K range so letís not overcomplicate and letís stick to what is prooved great.
    Great job dot!

Greatscoot has kindly sent me what he believes to be the same emitter as last time. I will be putting in an inquiry today to see if they will have enough stock for us to pull this off. These emitters are $5.25 each.

great!

Alright here's the deal. Kinda "YEETed" it as all the cool kids are saying... I just bought all 21 emitters in stock at MTN. GS seemed to believe that these are the same, at least the same bin, as the last Group Buy. From my research, the "3D" tint should be right about where we want to be and has the best chance of being on or under the BBL.

When I get the emitters, I'm going to have Gene roll on 21 M91BN dropins. I'll be writing the email to him next. So this run of the Group Buy will have 21 spots, and 21 only. If there is more interest, uhhhhh I think we will have to save that for another GB run, which I am game to do at any time if there is indeed enough.

Until I get the LEDs in hand let's continue along the GB date plan laid out. If anyone has any issues with this, please let them be known and we will have the opportunity to discuss everything and additional options if necessary.

Sweet!!

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast