Acebeam K70 mist effect

RGEVANS

Newly Enlightened
I am new to this forum and I trust i can get some help from you more knowledgeable and experienced people on his forum. I purchased a Acebeam K70 torch last year and haveused it twice now on my Kruger trips.I am not so happy with the light it givesthe reason is when you stand behind the torch there is a lot of bright white lightwhich seems to create a mist like effect almost like shinning a torch intomisty conditions (the actual conditions are absolutely perfect very still an clear viewing conditions). Your point of view isnot clear when standing behind the torch form the side it is better, I noticed a few other torches that seem to have a more yellow like beam that made the object you aretrying to view much clearer than through my torch. The feedback I have had from the supplier is listed below.

I confess I haven't heard of thisproblem before - I wonder if the relatively cool white light of the K70 isreflecting off dust and moisture in the air more than warmer light from othertorches? I know that cool white headlamps on cars are prone to thisproblem, especially in misty conditions.

Unfortunately it's not possible tochange the tint of the LED, but maybe the answer is to get some straw-colouredplastic (acetate) from a photographic supply store or craft shop and stick itover the lens of the torch? If this works, an optometrist could probablyarrange for the lens of your torch to be tinted a very pale brown for a morepermanent solution.

It occurs to me that your viewpoint(behind the torch) may be part of the problem - if you get someone else to holdyour torch, and you stand a couple of metres to the side, is the effect stillas pronounced? If the beam is clearer when you are not behind the torch, thatcould explain why other people's torches look clearer than your own.

Your comments and help will beappreciated.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF!

The effect that you describe will vary, depending on local atmospheric conditions at the time. You will probably notice wide variations of this effect when climate conditions are different.

K70 and TN42 and K75 and other powerful dedicated throwers will have more or less self glare, depending on humidity, dust, etc that is in the air at that time. Power throwers, such as X65, will have more self glare. When I hold the flashlight at arms length from my head, the distant target shows some less self glare.

:welcome:

RGEVANS

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for your reply based on what is happening with this torch and the viewing effect it is does not seem suited to game viewing as one wants to see the detail not this haze of white light.I was I the bush for 10days in summer conditions and every evening viewing was the same standing directly behind the torch which is the natural position you don't get the benefit of this long distant thrower as you get this bright white light that you have to look through almost like driving a car in misty conditions. There was another guy that had a powerful torch which gave off a yellow beam I wish I had checked out his torch it was also a long thrower as it reached the other side of the bank and you could clearly see the detail of the animals.
Supplier has suggested I use Acetate paper on the lens to soften the white light.