Convoy flashlights, outputs, runtimes?

prof student

Enlightened
Alright, a lot of questions after not finding much information.

All these involve the Convoy flashlight lineup

So I would like to know what the ACTUAL outputs would be & realistic runtime on a 35000mAh 18650 protected button top

Convoy S2+
Cree XML2 U2-1A
driver options:
7135*3 output current 1050mA
7135*4 output current 1400mA
7135*6 output current 2100mA
7135*8 output current 2800mA
what would the max lumen output be for each driver, & runtime at 100% or 30%?

Convoy s2+
XPL-HI
driver options:

Convoy S2+
Nichia 219C
driver options:

Convoy S2+
Luminus sst40

max current output 5000mA
stated max of 1800 lumens. Is this # legit?

Convoy S11
Cree XPH50.2
driver:
Max input 6A current,Max output 3A current
What would the max lumen output be?
What kind of runtime at 100% & at 30% lumen?

Convoy S11
Luminus sst40
driver:
Max input 6A current,Max output 3A current
What would the max lumen output be?
What kind of runtime at 100% & at 30% lumen?

Convoy S21A/B
Luminus sst40
driver:

max current output 6000mA
stated max of 2300 lumens. Is this # legit?
What kind of runtimes would be at 2300 lumen, & at 30% 690 lumen?

parametrek

Enlightened
I don't think there is any place with all of that information collected. The only option is to 1) hope someone did a review 2) hope you can find it 3) hope the measured what you want to know and 4) home they were accurate. (The complete vacuum of hard specifications is why I haven't been able to add Convoy to the database.)

Runtime is at least pretty easy to estimate in most cases. Battery capacity divided by the stated current.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alright, a lot of questions after not finding much information.

All these involve the Convoy flashlight lineup

So I would like to know what the ACTUAL outputs would be & realistic runtime on a 35000mAh 18650 protected button top
It's not really possible to answer.

Outputs and runtimes are either subjective to a self defined standard. Or need to adhere to a recognised standard. But not everybody follows these anyway. So if the maker doesn't offer the figures to a known standard, you are unlikely to find comparable figures.

e.g. I think the ANSI FL1 standard for runtime is when the light drops to 10% of its initial output. Which depending on if the light has a turbo mode and/or step down, will skew the results. Similar with output.

As an example, if a light makes 350 lumens at start up. It's runtime will be recorded when it drops to 35 lumens. However if the same light had a turbo mode that would give you 800 lumens for x seconds at start up. Runtime would be recorded when it reached 80 lumens.

ANSI FL1 is not the same as OTF or LED lumens. And you need specific devices to measure accurately.

I don't think the claimed output figures from Convoy are that far out tbh. So a good ballpark place to compare to other lights.

Also on the runtimes. A 3500mAh battery is a bit vague. As it depends on what you are trying to see. Most high capacity 18650's don't offer the best amp draw and tend to sag more under load than an 18650 designed for high current. High current ones tend to have less capacity.

This means something like a high discharge 2500mAh might run longer at high amps than a 3600mAh battery. But at low amp draws the 3600 battery would run longer.

prof student

Enlightened
Hmm.....Ok, i get about the runtimes.

What about the output?

I don't know anything about the drivers, how the max input/ouput mA plays into things, etc.....what is the difference in output between the 4 drivers in the S2+......max output for the XPH50.2...etc.....

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
each one of those 7135 chips allows 350ma to pass, wired in parallel as these are on the S2+ driver, then 4 of them will allow 1.4A to pass (4x 350).
the S2+ driver board will accomodate 8 of these chips as well making a total Max of 2.8A at whatever VF they put out (probably about 3v).

Edited to add, I`m pretty sure the XHP 50.2 is a 6v LED (though there are rumors of a 3v version) so it`s probably not the best driver board to use anyway ;)

Last edited:

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm.....Ok, i get about the runtimes.

What about the output?

I don't know anything about the drivers, how the max input/ouput mA plays into things, etc.....what is the difference in output between the 4 drivers in the S2+......max output for the XPH50.2...etc.....
Honestly I do understand were you are coming from :)

The trouble is. It isn't an easy thing to answer. Convoy sell a lot of variations.

There are a few different types of LED available, such as XM-L2 and XP-L HI. But for both of these, they also offer a number of different Tints, maybe up to 5 different tints. Such as T4 7A or U2 1A. These are actually brightness bins as well as tint bins. This is because a lot of flashaholics are very specific on what tint they like from their beam.

But all the different tint bins will offer slightly different lumen output. Generally the better the CRI (colour rendition index) and the more warm or neutral tint, the slightly lower the output. The trouble is, if you combine all the tint bins, LEDs and driver options. There are too many to realistically easily document.

As for the drivers. Yes they will impact output. But also heat. If you want a light you'll leave on High for prolonged periods, you are better off going for a slightly tamer driver. You'll still get good output, but it won't get so hot. If you only use high modes for short bursts, then higher outputs will be just fine.

If you look at the likes of Nitecore, Klarus or Fenix for instance. They usually don't offer any LED or tint variants. So you are usually stuck with a yucky cool white emitter. But it makes testing a lot easier for them. The drivers in these higher end (i.e. more pricey) offerings also tend to use step down or ramp down modes. So they start off high, but to reduce heat will automatically lower the output after say 30 seconds or 1 min. The Convoy lights tend to not have these features, but it does mean they can run hotter for longer. Leaving it up to the user to decide if is too hot and to select a lower output.

Personally I prefer the Convoy approach by and large.

If you really want to know outputs, the best bet is to look up the data sheet for the LED in question and the tint bin and see what output Cree reckon it can make for a given current. There are also loads of great LED tests on the flashlight forums showing this data. LED output is not the same as having a lens and a reflector in place though. The latter will always be lower.

Banggood seem to list some lumen outputs for the Convoy lights, scroll down to the table. This is just for one driver and one LED type. Just the different tint bins. As you can see the bin alone can account for a 200 lumen difference.
https://www.banggood.com/Convoy-S2+...bmZchoC2lUQAvD_BwE&ID=515361&cur_warehouse=CZ

Really the best advice I can give is. Don't get too hung up with the outputs. They don't always mean so much in the real world usage.

Similar with runtimes. At the end of the day, you have 'x' quantity of fuel (battery capacity) and 'y' amp draw. While there will be some less efficient designs. The vast majority will be pretty similar.

prof student

Enlightened
Really the best advice I can give is. Don't get too hung up with the outputs. They don't always mean so much in the real world usage.

Similar with runtimes. At the end of the day, you have 'x' quantity of fuel (battery capacity) and 'y' amp draw. While there will be some less efficient designs. The vast majority will be pretty similar.

I understand. I am just trying to find a light that could possibly be an EDC ( get that such a light might be bigger - the size of Convoy's S11 or smaller would be nice), but that will give me a high ouput (900 or more lumens) that will last for a serious extended period of time (say at least 1 battery at 3,500mAh) and that won't overheat & burn you when you touch the light.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I understand. I am just trying to find a light that could possibly be an EDC ( get that such a light might be bigger - the size of Convoy's S11 or smaller would be nice), but that will give me a high ouput (900 or more lumens) that will last for a serious extended period of time (say at least 1 battery at 3,500mAh) and that won't overheat & burn you when you touch the light.
Heat will be an issue with any light at high output. Doesn't matter who makes it.

And as said, depending on amp draw. Higher capacity batteries may not always give the best runtime.

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
Heat will be an issue with any light at high output. Doesn't matter who makes it.
100%

the only way you can mitigate that a little (other than to add more metal) is to use a multi emitter light, you`ll get more lumens for less heat than with a single (of the same led type).
a Tripple or a Quad like the D4V2 will get you 900lm sustained without setting on fire :)

prof student

Enlightened
100%

the only way you can mitigate that a little (other than to add more metal) is to use a multi emitter light, you`ll get more lumens for less heat than with a single (of the same led type).
a Tripple or a Quad like the D4V2 will get you 900lm sustained without setting on fire :)

Took a look at it.....IMO, its ugly, lol. & getting on up there in price!

Is there another light that you would recommend?

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
Took a look at it.....IMO, its ugly, lol. & getting on up there in price!

Is there another light that you would recommend?

whilst there are many triples and quads out there most of my lights are Single emitter types, but I have the FW21, the FW21 Pro, the EC03 (as well as the D4V2 that you don`t like). Any of those will happily do 900lm sustained.
I can`t really talk of the others because I have no experience of them, but some are having a lot of fun fitting triple emitter boards into Convoy S2+ hosts! :)