Why not Opalec?

Osm3um

Newly Enlightened
Well, I am getting serious about getting an opalec plugin for minimag. I don't even own a minimag so I would have to pick one of those up as well for this project.

Anyway, I have an arc AAA, Arc LS, a CMG reactor and a CMG sonic.

Can someone convince me to NOT start this project?

Note: I can not afford a $100 item....

Thansk,
Bob

JJHitt

Enlightened
>> Anyway, I have an arc AAA, Arc LS, a CMG reactor and a CMG sonic.

You dont have enough flashlights.
Serriously, if you already had a 3 or 4 LED light like the LW2000, I'd say the Opalec would be redundant, but you don't... so buy it already.

JohnnyB

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Hoghead said:
I'm not going to try to talk you out of a NewBeam. I think they're great. You can get them from PocketLights for $20.95

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly what I did. It was my 2nd LED after an ARC AAA. I am thrilled with it and can't imagine going without one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Now...what to get for my 3rd /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I don't have an Opalec, but probably would if my mini-mag was the newer design. I've never heard a bad word about the set-up. Great regulated light. However, if it's regulation you want you might consider the UK 4AA eLED instead. It's still available from BrightGuy for $20. This will be a bit brighter than Opalec, more waterproof, and apparently just as nicely regulated. It is slightly larger and heavier with two more batteries. I guess it depends on what niche needs filling.

In the tradition of flashaholics worldwide- buy both! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

E2E4ME

Newly Enlightened
I love the Opalec, and use it for biking and hiking/camping. In darkness it puts out plenty of light for about any task I do, and with a fresh pair of batteries I can count on about 10 hours of light. Great product, and I'll probably end up with another one at some point. During power outages it's the light I turn to for longevity.

This is all in comparison to an ArcAAA, an E2E and an L4 that I also own.

jbrett14

Enlightened
There are several complete flashlights available for less money that provide equal or greater light. You would simply be throwing money away for the mod, especially since you have to get a minimag as well. The Opalec works great but I don't care for mine, because I have never really liked the minimag (thought I would like it better with this mod). Of course someone will argue and defend the Opalec for it's great runtime of full brightness. I find this humorous because it appears most of these defendants are hobbyists who "never" need to rely on that runtime in the field, for emergency. In fact most of them probably carry an Arc anyway, which is when you would most likely be in an emergency situation (away from home). How many have actually needed their Opalecs at home for the complete runtime? Just trying to save you some money.

BF Hammer

Enlightened
I have a newbeam in my minimag issued to me where I work. I use it because of the extra run-time and excellent regualation that gives a non-dimming light for around 10 hours. It's also easier go to my service manager and beg for new AA cells when the red LED is shining on the module. He can be stingy with those things sometimes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif If I did not already have a minimag, I don't think I would spend the money for both an Opalec and a flashlight to put it in. If I was looking for 2AA power, I would more seriously consider getting a 2AA power pack for your Arc LS (I did do this myself).

That being said, I do carry my Arc LSH with 123 twisty pack on me while working for when I need something brighter, but it stays with me and the minimag/opalec combo light stays in my tool kit.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the Opalec Newbeam. I have 5 of them, and will eventually get more so that ALL of my newer-style Mini-Mags have the conversion on them. For getting around the house in the dark, it is the Opalec Newbeam and UK 4AA that I use.

While I do use Arc flashlights for EDC, I find that for everyday use around the house the Opalec and UK work better for me:

Longer battery life at full brightness
Common, affordable batteries
Plenty of brightess for no-light conditions in close quarters

I can't say enough great things about the Opalec.

Bill.H

Enlightened
Osm3um,
If you don't have a minimag and you are going to get an Opalec, try it with a Craftsman (Dorcy) 2AA instead. A little bit more work, but I like the switch on the Dorcy a lot better. Search for "Dopalec", that's the name Tomas (who did it first) called his.

jbrett14

Enlightened
Because SL makes the 4AA 7 LED Poly. Unless your specific need requires the exact size of a mini-mag, it does not make sense to me why you would want to spend more money for an Opalec when you could have far superior light in the SL. No, it's not regulated, but it doesn't need it. This light has great runtime, if that is what you are after. I realize this is not an "apples to apples" comparison, but it doesn't need to be. The SL is still fairly small with awesome floodlight. Unless this is your EDC light, who cares if the light is a bit larger than the minimag. I find it to fit the hand better anyway. I think the Opalec is for all the die-hard Minimag fans, and for them it is far better than the standard Minimag. The only reason I keep mine is because I have a Niteize fiber-optic head that fits it, and occasionaly I use this for work. Otherwise I would give you mine.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is an interesting SL 4AA runtime plot that seems to show that the SL 4AA pretty much poops out at 10% of its original output at about 6 hours (drops from "full" output at 5 hours).

The Opalec lasts something like ~10 hours (Roy's runtime plots) before it falls from regulation.

I assume that the SL 4AA is 2x or so brighter--but combined with serious over-driving of its LEDs (and potential shortening of their life), the unregulated SL does not seem to be a great technological deal.

The regulated UK eLED 4AA with 4AA's (duh...) lasted ~13 hours (thx to Roy again) and is only $20 too (same price as SL 4AA at Costco).

Personally, I chose to get a couple of the UK eLED 4AA's based on all that I have read here. But the Opalec would have been a close 2nd if I had some MiniMags laying around.

-Bill

paulr

Flashaholic
Gerber/CMG is coming out with a 3-led 2aa version of the Infinity Ultra; you might consider that instead, when it comes out.

You could also get a 2aa battery holder for your Arc LS. It will be brighter than the Opalec, with shorter runtime.

Reaper

Enlightened
For those who like using the mini-mag but hate turning the head, Nite-Ize is coming out with a 5 position clickie switch for it. Supposely gives you full power to dim in 3 steps plus blinkie and something else (slips my mind at present). Now I finally have a use for the seemingly stronger mag bodies over my Brinkmann's which I have been using for my Opalec's.

MDM

Newly Enlightened
I have the Opalec and the UK 4aa eLED. I would recommend you purchase the UK: Same or longer flat-regulated runtime, brighter output, $10 less.

Opalec held a niche in the market for awhile, but with the UK's introduction, their uniqueness is slipping away.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I have more 3AAA, 2AA, 3AA, and 4AA LED lights than I can easily remember.

One is a Green MiniM*g with an Opalec, Kroll, and Mineral Glass Lense. It's a pretty nice setup.

However... when I need a light around the house...

I am very likely to pick up Dorcy 1AAA, 1AA or 2AA as anything. I also use an Optronics 3AAA Headlamp a LOT!

I can't really say why I don't use my Opalec or Madmax minis. I just don't.

Of the other most mentioned lights, I have SL 4A 7LED, LW2100, G2 w/KL3. But I just keep gravitating towards those Dorcys....

stockae92

Enlightened
the reason why i haven't got one is the price, they are not cheap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

i wonder how a Streamlight Jr.® Luxeon® will compare to a mag AA with Opalec?