Lens scratches on ARC4+

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuelblender

Enlightened
What's the most effective way to remove minor scratches from my ARC4+ lens? I've seen past threads dealing with this subject but I can't seem to find them. Can toothpaste be used without fogging the lens? How about the use of a Dremel tool? Thanks!

Crash

Enlightened
half New Orleans, half Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Peter had recommended toothpaste and a cotton ball to remove scratches in the past. I think Flitz might work too but I haven't tried it. If you use a Dremel, I'd still use toothpaste and work with the slowest setting and move the polishing head constantly. Too long in one place may damage the lens.

fuelblender

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Crash said:
Peter had recommended toothpaste and a cotton ball to remove scratches in the past. I think Flitz might work too but I haven't tried it. If you use a Dremel, I'd still use toothpaste and work with the slowest setting and move the polishing head constantly. Too long in one place may damage the lens.

[/ QUOTE ]Good advice - Thanks Crash!! I sure wouldn't want to damage the lens by being too aggresive with a Dremel -- er, what is Flitz and where can I get some? Also, any particular brand of toothpaste?

chrisse242

Enlightened
Has anyone tried displex polish? It's a common product in germany (and probably all over the world) used for cellphone displays. This should work good on polycarbonate and lexan lenses.

Chrisse

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would worry about flitz as it is a metal polish and probably hase petroleum distillate in it that could fog the lens!

Crash

Enlightened
Fuelblender,

Bushman is right - Flitz is a metal polish that comes in various size tubes and should be available in most hardware stores. It works great on all kinds of metal and on most finishes. If used too aggresively on some bluing, however, it will take it off. I've taken off bluing on a Beretta while the bluing on a Browning was completely unaffected. I don't think that it will fog the lens though I think you'd probably be better off listening to Peter than to me.

As to which toothpaste, I use whatever is in the tube on the bathroom counter. As a point of information, my sister-in-law is a dental hygenist and she once told me that Crest is a bit more abrasive than most of the other brands. But bear in mind that we're not talking about various grits of sandpaper here. Abrasiveness of toothpaste is probably not measurable except by sophisticated equipment.

fuelblender

Enlightened
Crash, Bushman:

Thanks for the good advice; I'll stay away from anything that may contain petroleum distillates. With that being said I guess it's always good to check the label.

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
No doubt Flitz is a GREAT metal polish but I would not use it on polycarbonate lenses. What I would use however, is the CD/DVD polish. They sell it at Hastings and Video rental stores and it does work to some degree in getting out small scratches on DVDs so I would assume that It would work on ARC lenses also. What I do not know is if it would harm the antireflective coating on the polycarb...

Eric_M

Enlightened
This is the best stuff I've found:

From the Meguiar's web site:

Mirror Glaze Clear Plastic Polish
The finishing touch for maximum clarity and brilliance. Meguiar's Plastic Polish provides the second step in our two-step restoration process for clear plastics. One easy application protects surfaces previously cleaned with our M-1708 Plastic Cleaner. You will reveal the materials natural brilliance, while leaving behind an anti-static coating that helps repel damaging dust and dirt.

M-1008 ....................8 oz

Specifically made for clear plastic. I've even used it to polish the led's on my AAA and other "exposed" led lights and there is a noticable difference. Just a few drops on a Q-Tip, rub it around and polish it off with a clean soft cloth.

http://www.meguiars.com/

The first step is not necessary unless you have very deep scratches.

Eric

Crash

Enlightened
Fuelblender,

Save some headaches in the future and send Arc a SASE and they will send you some of the little vinyl discs to put on the lens. If you carry the light in your pocket, it does a good job in preventing the lens from getting scratched and is easy to replace. Although I understand there is some light loss, my 53-year-old-eyes can't tell the difference even in side-by-side beam tests.

fuelblender

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Crash said:
Fuelblender,

Save some headaches in the future and send Arc a SASE and they will send you some of the little vinyl discs to put on the lens. If you carry the light in your pocket, it does a good job in preventing the lens from getting scratched and is easy to replace. Although I understand there is some light loss, my 53-year-old-eyes can't tell the difference even in side-by-side beam tests.

[/ QUOTE ]GOOD IDEA!! If your 53 yr old eyes can't tell the diff, I'm sure my 50 yr old eyes won't notice either./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif

Chaz

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone tried plain baking soda (or Sodium Bicarb) for polishing plastic lenses? If so, how is it?

fuelblender

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Chaz said:
Has anyone tried plain baking soda (or Sodium Bicarb) for polishing plastic lenses? If so, how is it?

[/ QUOTE ]Chaz, salts are usually crystalline by nature and I think they could tend to be too abrasive. Not too sure about that one...but I'm no expert either. But come to think of it, some toothpastes have Sodium Bicarb - maybe it would work.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dave-
I use a plastic polish everyday in my work (polishing pits of finished windshield repairs). Give me a call and we can "zap" yours one morning or during lunch.

fuelblender

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
kitelights said:
Dave-
I use a plastic polish everyday in my work (polishing pits of finished windshield repairs). Give me a call and we can "zap" yours one morning or during lunch.

[/ QUOTE ]Thanks Ken! I'll give you a call real soon. Perhaps I can meet you in your neck of the woods. Lunch sounds good some weekend.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was thinking near your work during the week. I go pretty much past there everyday. Then neither of us has to go to the other side of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.