Odometer Fraud!

Saaby

Flashaholic
I think I have become a victim of odometer fraud. My sister received this letter today. Photo of odometer inset. Somehow they don't match up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

fraud.jpg

The really amazing thing is she was at the dealer about 6 months ago for 100,000 mile service. Talk about long commute!

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Will they even TOUCH a car at over a half-million miles? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif I'm thinking this is a typo...

You might want to try www.carfax.com and obtain a history on this car. There's a nominal fee but it might be worth it for the peace of mind.

jtice

Flashaholic
ahhhhhhhh
I think there are a few missing decimal places here. LOL

NO car will reach 670,000 miles, unless its COMPLETELY rebuilt.
That 404,887 miles isnt even right. I think thats supposed to be 40,488.7 miles.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Pic just looks like a 4, look closer. It's a 1 in there, not a 4.

Also, 670k is not out of the question. I think current world record mileage is 1.7M on an original volvo.

paulr

Flashaholic
How long has your sister had the car? Driving a car 670k miles in 8 years is a lot of driving.

jtice

Flashaholic
ohhhhh LOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

That is a 1. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Still,,,, 670,000 is VERY rare,
Most cars wont reach 300,000.

But then, if its all interstate miles, and its kept up VERY well, it will do well.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a 1967 Volvo that got me through undergrad school. The odometer broke at a little over 300,000 miles. I drove it atleast another year, and finally gave up on it when the seat broke. It still started and ran fine, and I drove it to the junkyard.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
you will be very suprised how long a car can last my family is very into maintace of are autos we all get crazy miles on are cars.but we keep fluids changed regurly oil is usaly at 2500 to 3000 miles lol we even change the brake fluid from time to time always replace belts early and etc etc

Saaby

Flashaholic
My post was, by the way, tounge in cheek. The letter and odometer pics are unaltered. It looks like somebody (or something) at the dealer over-estimated her milage. Maybe they meant 67,000.0?? Amazing what 1 decimal place will do ;-)

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Sigman said:
Maybe she's been driving backwards? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Bueller..... Bueller... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
lol... sometimes you wonder about those dealerships. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Saaby, if for some reason you do want to carfax the Volvo you can e-mail me the vin and I'll run the report for you. I've been looking at cars recently and carfax definitely is your friend. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Mike

Saaby

Flashaholic
We got a Carfax on it when we purchased it about a year ago but I'll send you the VIN anyway, interesting to see what has happened to the car since we got it.

matt_j

Enlightened
Hah. Well when i was in the market for a car my dad calls me up saying that mechanic has this 1997 Silverado with 60000 in mint condition to buy. Price was almost $2000 off blue book value so with that millage it made it really nice deal. I ran out of the office get there and I'm ready to buy it but since I was looking at cars I had a carfax account open. I throw in Silverado's vin number and "clean title" changes into 2 accidents and 160000 miles. Bad stuff.

Matt

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
329k miles on my truck - Only repairs:
1 new gas tank when the old one had the bottom ripped out because I hit some debris
New Starter
Batteries
Brakes
Hoses
Belts
Tuneups/oil changes
Fuel Pump
Tires

It's still on the original clutch