General Overview Feedback with battery recommendation- EDC setup

Neo9710

Newly Enlightened
Hmm -

I should of posted before I bought but it is what it is...and yes. I'm overthinking everything:)

First..what I have.
Klarus XT21X, Nitecore newI4 charger, Eneloop AA and AAA batteries, couple of flashlights that utilize 18650 batteries, Note 9 phones...

Most of my flashlights run on 18650 batteries, The Klarus uses 21700. I am NOT a big fan of plugging in a micro USB cable to charge this thing all the time. Rather throw the battery in a charger. Well, the I4 says it can charge the 21700 but the battery that comes with the Klarus does not fit in it. Not happy. Im always charging up the AA and AAA Eneloops for kids stuff. Actually have some old flashlights that I have bought the D adapters and retrofitted with LED bulbs just to have around the house.

What Im looking for:
Battery - I only have the one that came with it - the 21700. Looking for recommendations (runtime). Also saw someone mentioned Samsung. What about the Nitecore or Fenix?

Charger Upgrade - Mine has been through hell. Ordered the Nitecore UM4. Application - I want to be able to use a powerbank in a crunch to change either the 21700, phone or any of my 18650's if necessary.

Powerbank - Ordered the INIU 20000 mah (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YPY31FL/?tag=cpf0b6-20) yay? nay? Recommendations?

New cables - Anker Powerline stuff. Also ordered the Olight UC compact magnetic USB charger.

Again, looking for a system I can use at home and throw in a backpack to take with me to work. I use a phone/flashlights at work and on more than one occasion, the phone barely has a charge or my light needs a little boost.

TIFisher

Newly Enlightened
Klarus 21700 cell is a button top, which adds length. Seems most chargers that claim compatibility with 21700 cannot accommodate the extra few mm's associated with button tops. Not sure if the UM4 will handle it or not. As the XT21X has spring contacts and LVP built in, I would be shopping for any quality unprotected flattop 21700. Samsung makes several that should work fine in that light, and it doesn't look like it requires a high drain cell. 5000 mAh is the best you're going to get capacity wise in a 21700.
No experience with the other items you listed. Best of luck.

Neo9710

Newly Enlightened
Klarus 21700 cell is a button top, which adds length. Seems most chargers that claim compatibility with 21700 cannot accommodate the extra few mm's associated with button tops. Not sure if the UM4 will handle it or not. As the XT21X has spring contacts and LVP built in, I would be shopping for any quality unprotected flattop 21700. Samsung makes several that should work fine in that light, and it doesn't look like it requires a high drain cell. 5000 mAh is the best you're going to get capacity wise in a 21700.
No experience with the other items you listed. Best of luck.

Thanks! Now I need to actually find the battery! :)

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
First, a 4000 lumen light absolutely does need a high drain battery to function on turbo. You need a battery rated for 15 amps or higher. If you want a 5 amp cell, that limits you to Klarus, Nitecore, or Acebeam, maybe Fitorch. If it has springs on both ends (most klarus lights do), you can use unprotected cells 15 amp rated or higher. If you're okay with 4 or 4.2 amp cells, you have more options for high drain batteries. Second, I own a Klarus 5 amp 15 amp rated cell and use a Nitecore UI1 charger for it which does work with protected batteries. If you want the best battery with the highest capacity that will work with your charger, that would be the Molicell M50A, an unprotected 15 amp rated 5 amp battery. However, it's hard to find available. If you want a Samsung battery, it's the 40T that you want (4 amp 35 amp rated unprotected). I prefer the Molicell P42A (4.2 amp 45 amp rated unprotected cell).

Last edited: