Repo'd VW

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Re: Repo\'d VW

I bet there is more to both of those stories, like the other party's side. Both stories sound a little fishy but may be as stated, I've never heard of or seen anything similar and stories like that would spread like wildfire. As far as I know it is SOP for the lender to send 2-6 letters, some certified before repo'ing a car. In the case with FMC it is my opinion that FMC would have bent over backward for the customer if they were in the wrong. Bad PR is something large companies, as well as small avoid at nearly all cost.

I have only known of one case I can verify where the customer didn't have a lien on their car and it was repo'd. Here's how it happened: The previous owner had Pawned the title right before selling it and then went to DMV for a duplicate title and claimed the first one was lost. The DMV hadn't received a notice of lien yet so they issued the title. 12 months later the pawn shop finally locates the car and repo's it. Luckily the owner was there as it was being repo'd so they knew where it went. The previous owner, the one that committed intentional fraud had skipped town. Even though the new owner had title in hand the previous lien was still valid. The new owner and the pawn shop came to a compromise and the new owner kept the car.

avusblue

Enlightened

I agree, I read the first story about the VW and it seemed fishy. Why would a bank "make a mistake" and repo a car that they didn't hold a loan on? Repo-ing is costly for banks, and is only done after significant measures are taken to collect the loan or to attempt to get the customer to surrender the car. Also, the guy didn't seem mad at the bank about this, yet was irate at the towing service . . . which if his story held water, was only following the orders of the BANK!

Again, seems fishy to me too . . .

Harrkev

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
avusblue said:
Also, the guy didn't seem mad at the bank about this, yet was irate at the towing service . . . which if his story held water, was only following the orders of the BANK!

Again, seems fishy to me too . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

The band admitted its mistake, and tried to make things right as soon as the error was discovered. The repo people were complete jerks about it even after they were proven wrong.

Everybody is entitled to make mistakes. It is what you do about it after the mistake is discovered that makes the difference.

avusblue

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Harrkev said:
Everybody is entitled to make mistakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not everybody. My best buddy is an air traffic controller. Mistakes in his line of work are NOT tolerated. (BTW, I've shadowed him at work several times and it is FASCINATING.) I would guess there are lots of occupations (pilot, heart surgeon, nuclear submariner, etc.) where the training and oversight are so meticulous to essentially eliminate errors.

Anyways, back to the topic at hand. We only got one guy's side of the story and its from some obscure, arcane internet forum at that. Who pays attention to such writings anyways?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cheers,

Dave

BLU3_SHOCK

Newly Enlightened

they better not even think about touching my vw its old but too me its gold yha it an /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif air cooled /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast

I wonder if one of the "keys" to this story is the fact that the car had been purchased only one month previously. I don't know if the car was purchased new or used, but like Diesel Dave's incident above, a previous owner/dealer might somehow be involved.