My Sebenza just gets better and better . . .

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, it's not that the knife is changing (other than a few more scratches and wear marks as the months pass), but I am definitely developing more and more of an appreciation for my Large Regular Sebenza! At first, I hesitated to use it for certain tasks. Now I use it for everything. Plus, I am finding more and more uses for it as time goes by. I never used to EDC a knife before. I remember when I first had my knife, the first task I thought to use it for was opening a package, but I didn't, because I didn't want to gum up the blade with tape adhesive. I used my keychain knife instead. Not so now. I used my Sebbie for everything, including opening packages. Wow. Talk about smooth and precise cutting. This thing is still (it seems) as sharp as the day I received it. Of course, with the good weather it will see harder use in the woods and fields, but I have a suspicion that the edge will hold up nicely. Heck, I may sharpen it only by sending it back to CRK once a year for re-sharpening and (possibly) reconditioning if it gets unpleasantly scratched up. So far it still looks great, in my opinion. It has a pocket all to itself, so it's pretty well protected.

Anyway, just thought I'd post this in case anyone might be interested. This knife is truly awesome. A work of art; a piece of craftsmanship; a serious tool.

matt_j

Enlightened
Yes it is. Mine is being shipped to CR tomorrow for a face lift (new handle and engraving) so I will be lost without it for few weeks. But it is a knife of extraordinary magnitude.

Matt

paulr

Flashaholic
js, get yourself a sharpening steel and touch up the edge every time you get a chance. That will keep you from needing aggressive sharpening (with a stone) more than once in a great while.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
TIN,

I have tried two different methods:

1. Knife inside front right pocket but clipped to top of pocket. I like this as it keeps the knife secure and safe, but it means I can't really use the pocket for anything else or comfortably stick my hand in. I still like this method best of all, however.

2. Knife clipped to my belt on my right side, a bit behind right front pocket. This leaves my pocket free and doesn't interfere with sitting down, but it is fairly exposed here and sometimes gets wacked against things and scratched. More importantly, however, it is nearly imposible to deploy with any kind of speed and I worry about something catching on the opening stud. Yikes! That'd be scary. I usually switch to this carry method for short durations in special situations where I need my right front pocket. Plus, hey, I look really cool, right? Just kidding. I was actually really self-conscious about carrying this way at first, but now I figure, hey, I'm doing it for a reason and I'm carrying for many reasons, all of them legit, so who cares if the odd person now and then gets a little freaked out by a large knife hanging off my belt.

paulr,

Thanks for the suggestion. I have a good sharpening steel that I use to maintain (but not sharpen, of course) my kitchen knives. Will this work fine, or do I need a smaller steel or a different steel?

ErickThakrar

Enlightened
You may wanna look into something like the ceramic "steels" in a fine grit. or even a dual grit. Regular "chef-style" steels may not be good enough and can even damage your edge if used incorrectly. Or look into getting a leather strop that you can load with jewelers rouge. You can get an incredible edge with one of those with very little effort.

M

MeridianTactical

Spyderco Sharpmaker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

All my knifes are razor sharp! My (small) Sebenza, My Socom and my Cricket.

And why spend big $ on a knife to have it sit... use the heck out of it and enjoy it!

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Meridian Tactical said:
Spyderco Sharpmaker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

All my knifes are razor sharp! My (small) Sebenza, My Socom and my Cricket.

And why spend big $ on a knife to have it sit... use the heck out of it and enjoy it!

[/ QUOTE ]

I DO use it! And the edge is still very, very sharp. I'm no stranger to sharpening. I don't like the sound of the Spydero Sharpmaker. It's a fixed angle sharpener, right? Or do you have a number of choices? If I buy a sharpening jig, I think I'll buy that really expensive one that everyone likes so much.

At the moment, I'm pretty good at using waterstones and an initial angle guide. It takes some care and a lot of time, but I really like the results. Plus I can sharpen chisels and cabinet scrapers and so many other things on my waterstones. I also have some diamond stones, but I prefer the waterstones.

When my Sebenza needs sharpening, I will not delay to maintain it. I love to maintain my things. I especially love disassembling the Sebenza and cleaning and lubricating it. What a knife! CRK even gives you the wrench to do it. I love it.

M

MeridianTactical

JS, sorry that was a greneral statment about using stuff... it was not directed at you...

My point was for people to buy something really nice and just use the heck out out of it... I used to be afraid of mesing up expensive things so they just sat, no fun there...

And Muppet is correct 30 + 40 Deg..

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Meridian Tactical said:
JS, sorry that was a greneral statment about using stuff... it was not directed at you...

My point was for people to buy something really nice and just use the heck out out of it... I used to be afraid of mesing up expensive things so they just sat, no fun there...

And Muppet is correct 30 + 40 Deg..

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

And I certainly can stand being told that again from time to time, as I am prone to "babying" my nice things, especially at first.

30 and 40 are good choices. Nice to know. Thanks everyone.

Any advice on which ceramic sharpening "steel" to get?

ErickThakrar

Enlightened
I believe the Cerahones use a novel approach where Aluminum Oxide is deposited onto an aluminum substrate. Gives you all the benefits of aluminum oxide ceramic stones without the fragility. Not sure about pricing on those though.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just wanted to chime in again about my beloved Sebbie!

I disassembled and cleaned it over the weekend, and I just get a warm fuzzy feeling every time I do that. It's SO nice to be able to completely disassemble something and give it a thorough cleaning and looking over. How many folding knives are there that you can do this to? Not many, I'm sure.

Thank you, CRK, for the knife that will most likely always be my favorite!

Commander

Enlightened
Be sure to tjek this site out js!

http://www.chrisreeve.com/sebenzaclean.htm

And I made this long time ago:
[ QUOTE ]
Danish Viking @ Bladeforums.com:- UPDATED 19/12-03 -

I made this for my self. But then I thought why not share it with you!

I included REEVE COIL KNOT too.

Hope it helps you also.

And thanks again Ted for the nice work!

The document is an Acrobat Reader file.

Get it now (PDF 320 kB)

Download Acrobat Reader

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

And I also made this some time ago:

[ QUOTE ]
Danish Viking @ Bladeforums.com:

This is meant as a supplement to Ted Voorde's "How to clean sebenza"

This is not DVD quality. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
It is made by my Canon IXUS 400.

See High Quality - 26 Mb

See Medium Quality - 10 Mb

See Low Quality - 5 Mb

I use Windows Media Player.

Thanks

Danish Viking

[/ QUOTE ]

What a nerd I am!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

K-T

*Moderator*
Commander, your video links don't work, instead a "survey" page opens up - I hope it's not supposed to be that way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Commander

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
K-T said:
Commander, your video links don't work, instead a "survey" page opens up - I hope it's not supposed to be that way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

(Damn I hate www some times)

I tested this on 2 PC's and in IE and Mozilla and it works perfect her.

Are you Media Player updated?

Try "save target link as"…

That's all I can think on now….

Anyone else having trouble?

Zackerty

Enlightened
The links work in New Zealand.
Thanx Commander, good links!!
I knew Chris Reeve before he went Stateside. A gentleman, amd a bladesmith to reckon with.
I only wish I had thought of the concept of the Sebenza first !!

Stu
Stu

Commander

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Zackerty said:

I only wish I had thought of the concept of the Sebenza first !!

Stu
Stu

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

M2

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif => /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

TOB9595

Enlightened
Well Done with the hi Q movie, BRO!!!!

Took a while to download. I saved to the HD instead of viewing it solo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Tom