Is there such a thing as a keychain watch?

paulr

Flashaholic
I'm not crazy about wrist watches because of the nuisance of having to roll my sleeve back to look at them. Not crazy about pocket watches because it's another clunky piece of gear in my pocket and I'm likely to lose it or leave it at home when I need it. Not crazy about using my cell phone as a watch, because I turn it off most of the time (I use it mostly for outgoing calls), and don't like having to wait for it to boot to see what time it is.

What I want is a really tiny pocket watch, like the size of a Photon II, that I can put on my key chain with my keys. It's fine if it's cheap and digital. A ladies-sized wristwatch body with a keychain hole instead of strap lugs would be just fine. A built-in LED light would also be great. On my keychain, it would be part of a single pocket blob instead of another loose item bouncing around my pocket, and I wouldn't leave home without it, since it's with my keys.

Anyone know of anything like that?

paulr

Flashaholic
I guess that's sort of the idea, but it's much bigger than what I have in mind, and I don't see the clock on it (though the blurb says there is one). Maybe I can fake up something somehow.

nullandvoid

Newly Enlightened
You might check these out. Strictly a watch no frills but nice and small and probably not bad to put on a keychain. I think I've seen them at target too, but this was the first link I found on line. Bungee Watch

ugrey

Enlightened
Paulr, For the last 4 years I have had a Timex Indiglo Ladies Expedition analog watch on my key chain. I took off the strap and hung it from one of the pins. The watch is small and made of plastic so it is very light. The plastic crystal has not scratched up at all. I only wear a watch on my wrist when I travel. That is because I want an alarm on a digital watch. Key chain carry is the way to go!

paulr

Flashaholic
Null, the bungee watch looks like the size and price I had in mind, but I don't see how to put it on a keychain.

Ugrey, I thought of using a ladies' wristwatch, but figured that if I attached it by the strap lug, the spring pin would pop out sooner or later. Did you do anything about that? I suppose I could try to solder or weld it in place or something.

felder

Newly Enlightened
How about this:

The Unpocket Watch:
TW0560E_1002.JPG

or this:

Kensington Pocket Clock:
TW0605S3_1003.jpg

or this:

Kinsington Circle Pocket Clock
TW0615S6_0504.jpg

All of the are available from levenger

Flatscan

Enlightened
Not precisely what you're looking for, but sort of related:

a keychain "carabiner" clip with a very small digital display inset in the body. I found it difficult to set and difficult to read without a good light source (as if that would ever be a problem here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif).

Hogwild Carabiner Watch

Apparently the batteries don't last long, only 3-4 months.

paulr

Flashaholic
I guess those carabiner and Levenger things are all cute, but miss the point. I want something tiny, like a Photon II, that I can put on my keychain and not notice except when I take it out to look at it. A ladies' digital watch attached to the keychain somehow is beginning to sound like the right solution.

nullandvoid

Newly Enlightened
For the bungee watch just thread it onto the split ring, or maybe even use it with split rings for your keychain. If it's too long I think you could probably tie a knot in it and cut off the excess bungee cord.

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
About two years ago, I bought a cheap keyring watch at Wal-mart. It was actually the same size and looked like a key. The head was the face and the rest was the shaft of the key. It quit working shortly after I bought it though.

ugrey

Enlightened
Paulr, I must admit my plastic ladies timex did finally break off the studs, on the case, that the pins slide into. So, I twisted or braided some safety wire to attach through one of the screw holes on the steel back and the other end is attatched to my key ring. I did not use a digital watch because i thought the settings buttons would get punched all the time. Use an analog for key chain carry.

S

speerstra

I used to convert small digital watches into keychain watches for myself. Just cut off all but an inch of the wristband and put a hole in the inch for the keyring. This is a small and cheap solution. However, as mentioned above, the only problem was the digital watch would reset itself in my pocket. Change, keys, etc would press against the buttons and reset the time.

paulr

Flashaholic
Thanks, those fossil things look nice, but they are rather large. I was hoping for something really tiny, like the size of a quarter, or smaller.

tvdilbert

Newly Enlightened
If I remember correctly, the Fossil Keychain was approximately quarter-sized.

The larger department stores - around here Belk's and Dillard's - both stock Fossil items in their men's accessories section. I've seen this piece in both stores -- maybe a similar store near you would carry it?

- Jon -

Latest posts