LED Lenser Turbo Torch

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was at Sports Authority last night and saw that they were now carrying a couple models of LED Lenser lights. They had the V2 Moon, the V2 Triplex, and the Turbo Torch. I've never been interested in the V2 Triplex, and I'm not crazy about single 5mm LEDs that use focusing optics because of the lack of sidespill (the V2 Moon)...but the Turbo Torch looked pretty intriguing, so I picked one up. It's the exact same size as the V2 Moon (5 1/2 in. long, 1/2 in. dia), and uses 3 N cells. The big difference between the V2 Moon and the Turbo Torch is that the V2 Moon uses 1 LED with optics, and the Turbo Torch has 3 5mm LEDs tightly packed in the buisness end, with no optics. The Turbo Torch also comes with an acrylic wand that screws onto the buisness end to convert it into a very effective small area light. It also comes with a pretty neat holster that's divided in two halves...one half holds the light and the other half holds the acrylic wand. For only $14.99 plus tax, I think this light is a VERY sweet deal!

As far as output is concerned, the Turbo Torch simply "whooped up" on every other 3 LED light that I compared it to! I compared it to an Opalec NewBeam, a SL Clipmate, a WalMart NightBlaster 3 LED Clip Light, and a Dorcy 1AA 3 LED. Of all the comparison lights I used, the Dorcy was the closest...it was just marginally dimmer than the Turbo Torch, and I had a fresh lithium AA in the Dorcy. The Turbo Torch was quite noticably brighter than the Opalec...but with the Opalec's rock-steady regulation, the Turbo's edge in brightness would most likely not be for very long. With that aside, for the $$, the LedLenser Turbo Torch is a VERY nice utility light...I forgot to mention that it also has a wrist lanyard and a small carabiner clip to help hang it from the lanyard when the light wand is attached. For a little over 15 bucks with tax you get: the light, the wand, the holster, the lanyard, and the carabiner...oh yeah, there's also an extra switch cover in the tail cap! It's not a luxeon, but it's a very good light at a great price /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif! FYI...

PJD

indenial

Enlightened
Coast flashlights started my rapid descent (or ascent?) into flashaholism! I love my triplex. Very good beam, neat styling. But that smooth finish is hazardous with wet or greasy hands. Tip: Best price I've seen for "N" size cells is Home Depot.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 2 v2 turbo torches (3 led like yours) and 2 v2's with 1 watt chips in them.
There is a reason why yours are bright for 3 bangers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif
It's direct drive off of 4.5 volts worth of N cells (overdriven)
Mine were hot til the batteries ran down some, and then there was another problem $$$$ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif
Best results are achieved with rechargeable late model nicads if you can find them.
Thier voltage is a more nominal 3.6 - 3.9 for your lights.
I think www.batteriesplus.com or any other major battery retailer can order those for you.
My rad shack nimhs were too strong for them (Radio shack stopped making those, I got lucky).
I use my rad shack nimh N cells in my v2 powerchips.