? about MM and BB

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

I've been building and modifying lights for a little while, but I'm no electronics wizard by the farthest stretch of the imagination, so I have some questions.

I was wondering if anyone could comment on what kind of current gets to the led when running the MM+ or BB on a single AA. I was gonna make up some mini mini m@gs, but I'm not gonna do it until I have an idea of what kind of performance I can expect, be it on alkalines or rechargeables.

Thanks,

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
The BB is not a good choice for a single AA cell, if it'll work with it at all.

The MM will run down to .8V. The specs are somewhere on Wayne's site. From memory the MM+ is 700-800+mA, the MM is around 400mA, and the MM lite is around 250mA. Obviously, the more the output, the shorter the runtime.

Wayne's idea of the Lite was to use better binned Luxeons at lower power, getting longer run times, adequate light output, and avoiding any premature failures of emitters or modules due to heat issues.

I personally don't think that the format of the MMM is worth it. A CR123 powered sandwich gives much more output and run time in about the same sized body.

Why not try your hand at something like Dan's CNC123? If it turns out anything like your others, I'd be interested in one.

kj

Enlightened
This thread has a little information.

But I would suggest measuring the current by wiring the converter board and LED temporarily since the current to LED depends on Vf when using MM.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
The MM continues to try to boost power even at lower voltages, though the output drops as the voltage drops. The BB info sheet shows a minimum input of 1.6 volts, though it does put out full power at that level. The BB jsut stops when it goes below a critical voltage. It might work well with L91 lithium AA.

I think I have a spare MM in my parts box. I'll try to check what it does at 1.5 volts later today.

Daniel

CNC Dan

Enlightened
I would have to agree with kitelights. If you want a shorter light, go with the 123 battery. I had made my stoplights so they could use one or more AA cells. On one AA the madmax would work at lower output. I then found 3v lithium AA cells and used those. But at $2.50 ea it was cheaper to use 123 cells at $1.00. So I made the CNC-123. I've been happy ever since. I will be making more soon, and some will have nickel plating.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still like this idea as AA's are common and somepeople like me like them over 123 lights. I know it may not make sense, but that's how I am. The conclusion is that the MM is a good choice, but a BB won't really work, allthough someone did try a BB in a MMM once and it worked I dont know how well though!

I'm going to be moding a Dorcy-1AA for luxeon. It isn't a constant current but simple boost so it will work with the stock circuit. Unfornatnly it will only power ~200ma? I think. So a Low Vf high flux LED maybe LuxIII is prefered.

I wonder how a MM 400ma vs 250ma would fare? a MM400 and NiMH would probably be a very nice combination for runtime and flat discharge, and no worry of high current draw because it's recharable...

I would prefer a MMM w/kroll and MM400 over the dorcy, but it's a lot more costly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

soloco

Enlightened
I LOVE my miniminimags!!! I use a MM pill and either a single 3V AA or 2 1/2 AA NIMH batteries. Brightness is just as bright as with 2AA alkalines.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys,

Thanks for all of the comments. I agree that small 123 lights are hard to beat. I've made a number of them with reflectors and have given them out as gifts. They make really nice lights, especially with the little reflector that Wayne J. is selling now.

I was asking about the mini mini m@g because they are so darned easy to make. I currently have a mini mini m@g of sorts that I cut to fit 2 N cells and it runs nicely, but N cells are expensive and I wanted to try something that would run on one AA. It's looking like the MM is gonna be the way to go.