Flashlights and Commercial Aviation

bonvivantmike

Enlightened
I saw a thread on the non-flashlight forum where someone was asking where to find a multi-tool without a knife blade that could be taken on a commercial airliner.

On a more relevant note, has anyone had any difficulties with TSA over a flashlight?

I imagine a 4D Mag would be considered a "club" and would be forbidden. I wouldn't even attempt to bring one on an aircraft. But I EDC an Arc LSH twisty. Because of its durable construction, might it be considered a combat implement?

I checked the TSA web site, and there is no mention of flashlights among the forbidden objects. Has anyone had any firsthand experience in this area?

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
For the first time I got singled-out for the detail search in Providance, RI saturday. All the TSA guy had to say re my CR2 LS pocket light was "cool." This has been discussed in detail several times before. You might try a search in the Cafe board.

Larry

Viper

Newly Enlightened
I have traveled a fair amount with Surefires in my carry-ons. On 1 occasion, I was asked to "operate" it and prove it was a flashlight. That's about all.

I was in China staying at a cheezy Beijing Hotel once when the hotel power went off for a few hours in the evening. The Sure Fire 6P I carried on that trip was worth it's weight in gold that evening.

jhereg

Enlightened
I've flown in the last year w/ a 2D Mag w/o a problem. (Was in my carry on luggage. I've heard that you might have problems w/ a 3 or 4 cell maglight, but they don't seem to quibble about a 2.) Last time I flew I had an E2E, Arc LS & an E2E w/ a cell extender, E2C & a P91. No problems with the lights or the extra batteries.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Someone here had a 3D Mag taken from them at an airport. Blunt object and all that. Looks like I'll be leaving my 7D B-Lite at home.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
As another post indicated this has been discussed several times before. Every time, numerous posters indicated no problems what so ever. On a closely related topic, several have discussed problems with Mexican authorities confiscating loose spare batteries.

GregR

maverick

Enlightened
I'm an airline pilot and I always carry my Surefire A2 on duty. Had no problems with it including the spare batteries I carry. The only thing I'm thinking about is if I can carry a TID as well on it? Coz even though we can't bring knives on board, a TID would be useful in fending off a would-be hijacker.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I've been asked to operate them once or twice, but I'm constantly amazed at how often a computer bag with a ton of power adapters, batteries, 5 or 6 lights and an extended range antenna DON'T get a second look. I travel once a month and have not had my computer bag checked this year.

One of my favorite airport scenes from last year at the security checkpoint

Please turn on your flashlight sir... And that one... and that one... and that... Ohh that's nice!

Daniel

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carried my 9P with no problem in October of 2001, when everyone was still being paranoid. I did freak out the lady at the desk when I flew back home, but that was the picture of Osama I had. It was a copy of the "Wanted dead or alive," poster that was folded so you couldn't see the wanted part, having an ID she'd never seen before didn't help (the then new military ID's). I'm thinking that the random security search at the gate I got picked for wasn't so random.

Filament

Newly Enlightened
I'm real curious about the new E2e Defender; I would bet that would certainly be prohibited. As an aside to that, I just got back from a trip, and before I went I checked the TSA website pretty closely. Kubotan's are prohibited; which to me seems kindof strange since a regular E2e is not (similar size/shape). Guess its based on the "designed function".

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Filament said:
Kubotan's are prohibited; which to me seems kindof strange since a regular E2e is not (similar size/shape). Guess its based on the "designed function".

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it' just a flashlight after all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Unicorn said:
[ QUOTE ]
Filament said:
Kubotan's are prohibited; which to me seems kindof strange since a regular E2e is not (similar size/shape). Guess its based on the "designed function".

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it' just a flashlight after all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The rules are kind of strange. You are not allowed to take a spear, but you can take knitting needles. Can't take a 1 inch pen-knife knife, but can take my craft sciscors with the blunt tips and knife-like edges. Can't take a screw-driver, but can take a spoon with a flat end to the handle. I can carry several spare Lithium Ion batteries but not an oxygen bottle.

You can have rules, but wouldn't common sense be better?

Daniel
Oh no! Now I'm gonna be on homeland security's list!

JML

Enlightened
Last year, I had a regular laser pointer (for a presentation I was traveling to do!) confiscated, although it was not on the list of prohibited items. Of course, they were selling laser pointers at the Staples inside the security area...