Anyone modify a "Ziplight"?

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone modify a \"Ziplight\"?

I collect Zippo lighters...being the flashlight freak I am I thought it was time to buy the "Ziplight". It's a flashlight that was designed to fit inside a Zippo case in place of the lighter. It has been discontinued, and so has it's proprietary battery pack. I would like to modify it with lithium batteries and an LED. Just wondering if anybody has tried to modify one of these things?

marklein

Newly Enlightened
Re: Anyone modify a \"Ziplight\"?

Sorry to resurect an old thread, but I just finished my Zippo Light LED mod! Yay!

The Zippo Light runs on two AAAA batteries. You can change them if you simply pry the case appart with a screwdriver/knife (watch out for that spring!).

I made a voltage booster based on the Zetex ZXSC310 (ZLT as it has been known in these parts). All my parts came from DigiKey except the Nichia LED. As one can guess, it's a good bit brighter than stock and of course will last longer... yadda yadda. But that doesn't compare to the "cool factor". When you whip out the Zippo and CLINK! but you get cool white LED instead of fire it really takes people by suprise. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Cool! When I first saw one of those in a catalog it captured my imagination, but then I got distracted (and I distract easily). Is the stock bulb incandescent?

Oh yeah BTW, we here at CPF demand pictures!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
Is the stock bulb incandescent?

Oh yeah BTW, we here at CPF demand pictures!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes and YES!

marklein

Newly Enlightened

Okay, you asked for it. My real digicam is broken at the moment so you are at the mercy of the camera on my Palm Pilot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Circuit board carved out of blank copper with an Xacto knife:
board.jpg

After soldering the components.
chip.jpg

The resistor is as small as the head of a pin!

The circuit goes between the batteries. Had cut out a little post to make it fit.

The finished product:
light1.jpg

This is the first SMD project I've ever done. I bought enough parts to make three, knowing that I'd probably ruin the first two. And I did! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

dude that is awesome.... love the hand-carved ckt board... i might be doing exactly the same thing working on my new light... i am just starting to work on the smt parts list... it was not easy finding an inductor that can handle 3W and fits inside of 9mm!

The hand-carved ckt board is the cherry on top.

-awr