Some Gratuitous Beamshotz

glock_nor_cal

Enlightened
i really dont know why i ooh an ahh over a flaslight sitting on some guys carpet. god im a dork

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lol, whenever I see beamshots I always look for the best one and think "I want one of those." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm the room looks quite dark... I wonder why. I thought the aurora is a really bright light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Reno

Enlightened
"i really dont know why i ooh an ahh over a flashlight sitting on some guys carpet. god im a dork "

LOL!! Glock Nor Cal, don't be so hard on yourself!
At least here nobody will think you are that unusual... all those flashlight ignoramuses in the real world will have plenty of chances to call you a dork!

Techmedic

Enlightened
We must be like deer...

Caught up in the beam of the light!... until something hits us and knocks us back to reality.

Good beamshotz, but what make is the Aurora?

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Nerd,

If you look closely, you'll see the increase in ambient light due to turning on the Aurora. This is my master bedroom which is something like 14x18' so it's a decent sized room. It's pretty bright. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I also have the stealth Mag head on the Aurora so the beam isn't as focused as it could be and the losses are slightly higher than with the 3" BigHead.

Techmedic,
The Aurora is a one-off prototype I built using a special battery pack, internals and a 100W Osram bulb.

Wilkey

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wilkey,

Just love that Aurora! Talk about a nice, fat, bright, white, kick a$$ beam! Aurora RULES. Wish I had one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif On the other hand, if I did have one, nothing else would be bright enough anymore. It's like a drug addiction. In fact, I think there should be a new term. Not "Flashaholic" which implies someone who wants a whole bunch of cool flashlights, but a "Brightaholic" which would be meant to imply someone who gets hooked on more and more potent beams and has to keep upping the output. Hmmm. Now I wonder who that would describe? . . . I don't know . . . maybe GINSENG?

But seriously, a "brightaholic" would not have that many lights. He or she would start out with one or two lights and get into the whole flashlight hobby, and then jump right for a bright light, either stock or mod, and then be compelled to push the brightness envelope. Such "brightaholics" would not have a laudry list of the various lights they own, but rather something like "Hot-Wire guys do it til it glows . . ." or simply their name. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I think I might open up a thread on this subject in the cafe.

illumiGeek

Enlightened
Wilkey,

How do you make those Aurora beam shots without burning a hole in your carpet? How long can you leave it running without setting your house on fire?

OT: your latest avatar is a bit creepy. Looks like your daughter's head sitting on a table. The last one was really adorable, though.

Aloha, iG

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok,

Since no one else is posting any shots, I'll put this one up for your amusement. This hapless high density polyethylene milk jug took about 3.5 minutes direct exposure to the Aurora beam to sustain this damage. Hard to see from this picture but there's a disc that's become soft enough to flow and near the center, it's melted clean through. HDPE has a softening point of about 100C and a melting range of about 150C so this is reason enough for one not to hold one's hand in front of the beam for more than a few seconds.
aurorameltsjug.jpg

So, um...can your LED do this? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wilkey

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]

So, um...can your LED do this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, it doesn't waste power by radiating useless IR. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Nice lights. I'm working on a 35 watt MR16 blaster myself.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Ginseng said:
...I also have the stealth Mag head on the Aurora so the beam isn't as focused as it could be and the losses are slightly higher than with the 3" BigHead.

[/ QUOTE ]

And the floor (rug?) absorbs light. If the Aurora was aimed at the ceiling the ambient light would be significantly brighter.

Brightnorm

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hehe,

Good one, Evan. I wonder how incandescent bulbs compare to internal combustion engines. I mean, both are hideously inefficient but also capable of some stunning absolute performance.

Wilkey

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
BN,

I was shooting up the wall. The electrical sockets sorta give it away /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wilkey

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Ginseng said:
Ok,

Since no one else is posting any shots, I'll put this one up for your amusement. This hapless high density polyethylene milk jug took about 3.5 minutes direct exposure to the Aurora beam to sustain this damage. Hard to see from this picture but there's a disc that's become soft enough to flow and near the center, it's melted clean through. HDPE has a softening point of about 100C and a melting range of about 150C so this is reason enough for one not to hold one's hand in front of the beam for more than a few seconds.
aurorameltsjug.jpg

So, um...can your LED do this? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wilkey

[/ QUOTE ]

I never realized the power of this thing! Those shots are proof! How close does the beam need to be to do that. So you really can start a fire by pointing a flashlight? My Green Laser can't even do that!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
People in another thread gripe about wall beam shots.

I can glean from them up there that I would LOVE an Aurora!!!

I need to get some 3 to D holders so I can run a bad a$$ MR16!!! (affordably!)

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had the head on or about 2-3mm off the surface. It was a bit shaky holding it freehand. Oh, it's a Lactaid 3Q jug if you wanna try it. Unlike most regular milk jugs, it's pretty thick-walled.

Wilkey

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am SURE glad my L6 LED or any of them OR any of my HID lights CAN'T do that. That is just a waste of IR power. My IR 1024 nm 1 watt laser can melt that suff in 50 nanoseconds through (Like as in PUFFFFF) (It's INVISABLE)... I like lights that put MOST of there power into VISABLE light...

Dang LASER runs on 3 volts(D cells)- just burns stuff -no where as bright as a green LASER or a candle for that matter...

How many Lumens of real visable light is your Aurora? IR excluded?

NikolaTesla /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

An Arc lamp is the Spark that takes away the Dark--HID Forever!
Recent additions to My Lights: *** http://www.tjtech.org/gallery/NikolaTesla/Dscn3236

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well,

I'd like my car engine to be 90% efficient to but it ain't happening. Still, I love using the horsepower the motor does make. Same with incans. It's an illumination tool with a truly decadent (some would say wasteful) characteristic but it's the nature of the beast.

You'd think LEDs would be a class above in terms of converting electrons to photons. Well, 5 minutes of continous running my L4 tells me the heat's coming out...just into my hand and not out the front.

Wilkey