A Sleek Pocket-sized 1-Watter

pc_light

Enlightened
[My aplogies, after posting I realized maybe this should have gone on REVIEW forum /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif]

Came across this baby at a local dive show recently. The glimmer caught my eye.

It's small, sleek and well... see the photos for yourself. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
MantaLight.jpg

It didn't come with a manual or any literature. I don't know if it even has a name or model number because it was a custom made done by the shop. Here's what info and impression I have thus far.

Overall the light has a nice solid feel and balance. High grade aluminum construction (single piece body and single piece head), not cheap-o thin. Finish is stainless steel like. It has a single thick o-ring at the head for seal, and the guy "claims" it would be water-proof to 100ft. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Powered by a single 123 cell. Twisty head on. Hole in tail for lanyard. 1-watt LS, I belive it's regulated as the chart in the shop indicated 1.5 hour sun mode, several hours moon mode. Draw, as measured by meter in series with battery, is about 650ma.
MantaLight_parts.jpg

Light level measured in at about 21-Lumen using Gadget_Lover's homemade integrated can device.

Beam has good balance of spill with a solid LS-type center hot-spot. Nice white in color, (couldn't tell you what Bin), with a slight hint of violet, noticeable only when being compared side-by-side.
LSH_n_MantaLight.jpg

A few weak points - has a slight rattle in the head (talk'in 'bout the light), I think because the optics aren't firmly mounted. Those of you that are sticklers for perfect alignment would not be driven insane. Also, gets warm in the hand after only about 10 minutes, I don't know how hot and I didn't want to find out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Also, I'm not a diver and I haven't taken this to the water, but without knurling or flat surfaces for hold, I've gotta believe that the light would be slippery when wet.

(I subsequently found a similar designed light by LED Lenser, called the V10 Power Chip, which is a 3xAAAA power similar light. That's when I realized I probably paid way too much... don't ask.) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Still, its a keeper and more of a gentleman's pocket light, than a heavy duty workhorse.

That's all folks.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 2 of those v12 powerchips running on 3 n cells.
They are not the best.
I pressed the "try me" package bubbles with my gym locker key on over 50 of those on the shelf, going
"eww, ack, nope, uh-uh, oh-noway, puke green, puke pink," /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon8.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smoker5.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/knight.gif "ahh, here's a good one"! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
And a few minutes later found another identical good one, and got them both. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I got a good deal, many of the others that were bought from that batch on the shelf by others were not a good deal. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smoker5.gif

pc_light

Enlightened
Truth be known, I did the same at the dive booth.

I went through all 7 of the ones he had before I found this one. I'd say 2 of the 7 were passable, the others were very tinted.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
reminds me of LedLenser lights ... or what they should be ... regulated and watertight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernhard

EDIT: LedLenser V10 series
ll_v10_series.jpg

pc_light

Enlightened
Hi Kiessling:

Yes, from a styling perspective the two do look a lot alike. I like the steel body (and lower price) of the V10.

I didn't know the V10 wasn't waterproof. Other differences I've noticed, this light has a hole for lanyard but still stands on end, the V10 is flat all across.

Any other differences?

Do 3XAAA get more/less/same as 123?

pc_light

Enlightened
Hi IlluminatingBikr:

I've always admired the CNC-123 as well, never seen one in person.

From the pictures of the CNC-123, it is probably slightly bigger than this light. But CNC-123 is probably brighter and infinitely more adaptable. I've seen Dan offering all kinda options and configurations.

Because of the solid body construction, there's not much that can be done with this light. No tail switches, etc.

The electronics are exposed though, so a modder might find that appealing potential fun! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Manta_Circuit.jpg

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting as that chip looks like a TI TPS61030. Wonder if they just configured it as a voltage regulator since I don't see any amplifiers in the exposed side (maybe it's on the back side?, Naaah doesn't look like there's room in there for a LED and an IC) People sure are getting more sophisticated with their circuits.