1st night-hike of the year (thoughts/evaluations)

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
well first, i'll say sorry for the long post, but it's very skimmer-friendly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif..

today was the nicest day we've had so far.. @ 81ºF today, it beat out the former nicest day of the year, which was only 66ºF.. so of course, it's the nicest night of the year too, still 56ºF and i thought i'd take myself a nice hike..

let me describe the area quickly.. it's a public park.. it has a huge Olympic-sized track and the main-park is in the middle of it.. on the far side from the parking lot you also have several benches along streams, and the start of all the trails..
there are 5 or 6 different trails to start from, but they all connect to trails that connect to the main trail.. and the main trail goes completely around a lake (hence the name of the park being Mantle Lake).. the lake's about the size of football field, or a bit bigger.. it takes about 45 minutes to hike around the trail.. and it's all cut out thru the forest.

so anyways.. i took the following lights: Elektrolumens Blaster 3, Elektrolumens FT3C, Princeton Tec Tec40, Inova X5T-HA, Streamlight 3AA luxeon, Underwater Kinetics 4AA luxeon eLED, and the Arc AAA.

i started out by shining my lights across the lake's width (again, keep the idea of a bit bigger than a football field).. the Blaster 3 and FT3C did best, followed by the PT40 and then the UK eLED.. the other lights failed to light up the shoreline (possibly 'cause there is a very bright CCFL light by the parking lot, about 130 yards away)..

the lights i used most were the FT3C, UK eLED, and Inova X5T-HA.. so here's a rundown of the lights..

FT3C: a wonderful walking light if there's a bit of light pollution.. too bright for smaller, dirt-packed and root-ridden trails.. i used the FT3C only a couple times.. i used it to spot some ducks on the lake and i used it to scare the living crap out of some bats.. BEAUTIFUL COLOR for walking tho.. i'd luv to have a dimmer light with the same luxeon.

Blaster 3: again, too bright.. and a bit too heavy for the small trails where you have to navigate alot of ups and downs and alot of roots.. a very nice tint for hiking tho..

PT40: probly would've been a great light if it didn't have the terrible "sunrise orange" color.. maybe the bulb needs replacing.. it was still however a bit too bright, but it had nicer side-spill than the FT3C and Blaster 3.

SL 3AA luxeon: i do not like it for hiking.. i quickly put it away.. the side-spill is too dim, and the hotspot is too small for easy navigating.. i like this light around the house.. altho its brightness was nice.

Inova X5T-HA.. i luvd this light.. huge spot.. not too bright.. one of the lights i used most.. i only wish it had more side-spill.. but this put out the perfect amount of light, and with a nice white, very slightly yellow tint.. not too bright, so when i look @ something up close in the path or a birch tree or something i don't blind myself and mess up my night vision. also VERY tough.. you could drop this light 1,000 feet and i think it'd still work just fine unless it landed *just right*.

UK eLED: my new favorite light for night hikes.. beautiful tint.. beautiful side-spill.. beautiful corona.. hotspot that's bright enough to spot things farther off than the X5T-HA and the SL 3AA luxeon, but not so much that it blinds you when pointed @ birch trees or light-colored patches of dirt.. i'm going to order another of these and they'll accompany me on hikes from this day forth. heh.

Arc AAA.. truly it's not bright enough to be ideal, but it has beautiful beam coverage, and if you were stuck navigating the woods with it, it really wouldn't be all that bad! really, it wouldn't! the sidespill to corona to hotspot transition is one of the smoothest i've seen on a light.. so it really provides nice coverage for watching where you're going, so as not to fall off a cliff or bridge or something..

so that's how i see things.. now i'm gonna discuss some nuisances with you.. in order of annoyance..

actually b4 that, i'd like to mention one that i don't think is legit'.. and that's bears.. there are alot of black bears around here.. we Northern Mainers enjoy them being a part of the wildlife.. but many ppl i've hiked with have an underlying fear that they're gonna get mauled during a hike while they're stuck on the far side of the lake or something.. this is simply not so.. i've seen bears around, but never on main trails, and never being a burden.. they just lumber about and do their bear thing.

so..

#1. SPIDERS. not spiders really, but spider WEBS.. if i had a nickel for every spider web i walked thru in that 45 minute hike, i could put a down payment on a 2004 model vehicle.. it was extremely annoying.. why do the spiders do that? they know ppl are gonna walk thru and screw them up in a matter of time.. maybe it's just a *get the bugs while you can* thing.. i dunno.. but they were thick, sticky, strong, webs.. i was tempted to slice thru a couple with my Spyderco Cricket, but i pulled out my limbo skills instead (seriously, ha).. the webs were all about waist to eye level on me (i'm 5'8") and it just sucked.. i found 4 spiders hitching a ride on my sweater when i got back inside..

#2. SKUNKS.. okay, i haven't actually run into one on the trails in the park (altho there was one on the side of my street i saw when i drove to the park), but you can smell them thru almost the whole hike.. and it's a legit' fear in my mind.. i do NOT want to be sprayed in the middle of a hike..

#3. things scurrying acrossed the trail.. this jumped me quite a few times.. they were probly just salamanders and beetles and mice.. but with my underlying fear of getting sprayed by a skunk, it's just reaction to jump and madly search the tree-line every time.. really annoying.. also in this category, i put bats.. when you startle them they dart thru the trees like they're possessed, and nothing graceful either.. i'm talking like, the Pachinko board or whatever it was called from the Price is Right.. that's what they're flying reminds me of when they're starteled.. and startle them i did when i spotted the tree tops with my FT3C.. my bad.

#4. FROGS.. as many of you are aware.. frogs can get REALLY REALLY LOUD.. especially when there are hundreds or even thousands of them in a small area.. @ the far side of the trail where it's closest to the lake, i almost had to plug my ears! a moose could've trampled me and i wouldn't have heard it 'til its hooves broke my teeth.

#5. MUD.. i didn't expect it to be muddy, seeing as it was 80ºF today.. but it was.. if i could do it over again.. i wouldn't have worn my sneakers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

thanks for reading/skimming.. if anyone has questions about the lights i used, or anything else, feel free to ask!

-Ryan /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/knight.gif

14C

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
#4. FROGS.. as many of you are aware.. frogs can get REALLY REALLY LOUD.. especially when there are hundreds or even thousands of them in a small area.. @ the far side of the trail where it's closest to the lake, i almost had to plug my ears! a moose could've tramped me and i wouldn't have heard it 'til its hoof broke my teeth.

[/ QUOTE ]

The tree frogs in Florida are REALY loud when you step on them and the POP..and in some parts of the state it's unavoidable during the spring.....

I wish I had an ARC AAA or something else when I was stuck there for nine months....

chumley

Enlightened
Great post Ryan. I like reviews that rate lights on actual use, rather than looking at beams on white walls, although white wall beam comparison can be usefull.

I have found that hiking in areas with no ambient light, that an Arc AA or CMG Ultra G is all I need. If that isn't enough, a SL 4AA 7 led or ARC LSH-P will work. I could get by with my SL 4AA 7 led for almost all my lighting needs.

I go out at night with my dog, an Akita/Collie mix at almost 90 lbs. I don't have to worry about any man or beast wanting to attack me. My point is that the dog is way better protection than any light could ever be.

Your favorable impression of the UK 4AA led backs up all the others I have read, I think I will have to order one.

Mike.

paulr

Flashaholic
Re: 1st night-hike of the year (thoughts/evaluatio

For night hiking on easy terrain I usually don't like to use a light at all. Just walk carefully and go by the moonlight. It's very beautiful. If it's completely dark I like to use a Photon II with a red LED. I don't keep it on continuously, but just give it a momentary squeeze every few seconds to glance at my surroundings and see that I'm not about to bump into anything. Of course I have more powerful lights at hand should the need for them arise.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
14C:
nasty! bet you wont go back without a little something.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Mike:
i agree with you about the Arc AA or Ultra as being all you need.. i found the Arc AAA to work just fine for navigating paths.. i just prefer something @ about the brightness of the X5T-HA or UK eLED due to all of the roots that have taken over the paths.. it's hard to make out the detail on some of the more slender roots with it.. of course, my night vision is all around lacking anyways..
i'm jealous that you've been able to hike with your Arc LS tho.. i have not yet had the chance, as i'm not a winter hiker and i received it on Christmas.. since, it's been put out of commission and needs repair.. so no Arc LS hiking for me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif
i'd also prefer taking a dog with me, however i live in an apartment that wont allow anything bigger than cats.. my pops has a boxer/pitbull mix that i consider my dog.. they live in a different town and i can't get the dog too often tho.. *dang*. (oh well, he named the dog Brutus, and i hate calling the dog by that name in public.. even in the middle of the night, haha)

Paul:
i'd carry something very small too, if i didn't have my underlying fear of skunks. haha. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Edit:
actually, let me clarify.. i'd also carry something small on mild terrain.. but for these trails i'd want something @ least as bright as the X5T-HA. *shrug*

paulr

Flashaholic

Blinded, you might get a UKE 2L and swap the 4AA eLED head onto it, giving you a tiny little light with the exact same output as the 4AA. I think the 2L's total loaded weight is about the same as an Arc LS despite the two cells, because of the plastic body.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast

great post!

your findings are right on the mark.
we camp often at state parks here in Michigan, and it can be very DARK, especially in northern MI.

we often hike/walk for an hour or two per night, and LED's have been amazing for this. it is surprising how little light you need when it is really dark.

basically, and nice floody LED for walking, and a bright incan for spotting stuff is great.
some excellent combos i have used are: attitude/rage, sl4aaled/tec40, TL2LED by itself (always have the arc aaa).
last year, i had great results woth my TL2 LED--great hotspot/throw and fantastic spill.

this year, i think my twintask 2L, BB400s and madmax lites will be used a lot. im sure my uk4aaled will as well.

if i didnt have a twintask, i might go with paul's idea. get a couple of uk2L's, and have one with the LED head and the other with the incan head. im really diggin' the UK lights lately.

Bob

juancho

Enlightened

Very good post Ryan,
Chumley if you are hiking in Maine in bear country a dog can be a problem; they tend to pursue black bears and when the bear retaliates the dog is going to come to you for help bringing the bear to meet YOU!!
Paulr, I also like to conserve my night vision in the woods and not scare animals with a bright light, I have been using a Inova X5T with RED LED's it is great, thanks to the big side spill. I guess red filters also will work in others flashlights, but red LED's have a more useful light because the spill.
Juan C.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great post! Great read! I enjoyed it thoroughly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif

Thanks, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Britt

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast

Paul:
i've heard good things about the eLED in the 2L body too.. i'll have to go find a thread to look @ the runtime (which i think was impressive)..

Bob:
what do you have the BB400's and MM's in? Minimags? i've been thinking about getting a drop-in.. or rather one already fully-built.. i've seen a couple in BST the past few days and i had to maintain a strong mind to keep from snatching them up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Juan:
bear country doesn't start for about 40-50 miles from here.. and the bears usually stick to a 10 mile territory..
around the outskirts of the park i hiked in, there are only two bears whose territories run into anywhere coverved by trails.
i like the idea of the X5T with red LED's.. but do you really think it's sidespill is adequate? it has a huuuge corona, but i think the sidespill is too dim due to the LED's being recessed into the head @ that depth.. or do the red LED's perform differently?

jeez. i should know this stuff by now, heh.

Edit:
thanks Britt! after about the 40th spider web i walked thru i said to myself, "I'm gonna have to share this annoyance with CPF."
haha, so then i figured i'd have to give a rundown of the lights and everything.. which was actually pretty fun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

juancho

Enlightened

Ryan, my X5T red perform like my X5T white, same output same distance same side spill, but you are right that the lamps are recessed, but I was talking in comparison with a incandescent with a red filter, if you put a red filter in a E2E and compare in a dark night with the red X5T you will see why I prefer the X5T.
I used (and sometimes still do) to hunt black bears near Eagle Lake, Maine. The bush is very thick over there and I was once following a wounded one in the "tunnels" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gifthat they have in that bush, my only light was a Surefire 6 "c" and I was armed with only a knife, because after dark is illegal to carry a gun.By the way the 60 lumens of the 6 "c" was too much light! it tends to blind you with the backlash of light at that short distance, a bad situattion when you are on your knees. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif
Juan C.

Apu

Newly Enlightened
darn! I succumbed to the myth that bats are blind and therefore wondered how one could startle bats with a flashlight? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I just googled the truth, hehe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

nice report BTW!

Apu

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Juan:
i know what you mean now.. the X5T definitely has a better spread than an incan with a filter..
i experienced the same thing as an overly-bright light with the FT3C and Blaster 3.. i'd put the Blaster 3 @ around 70 lumens and the FT3C @ around 85 lumens.

and strangely enough, i only live about a half hour from Eagle Lake (in Presque Isle).. small world. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Apu:
bats don't have the best eye sight, true (thus, echo-location).. but they definitely see good enough to be light sensetive! heh
and thanks!

juancho

Enlightened
Ryan, go to your post "Want to see where you are?" 4/23/04
5.45 p.m. and scroll to the end of the page to post #546571
for more of our encounters!!
Best Regards
Juan C.

bald1

Enlightened

Great report. I think your weather that day was similar to what we had here. Got my S2K out with the top down on the 30th and two days later we had snow here again. When I was at Bath Iron Works outfitting a new construction ship back in '80, I had a chance to explore some of the woods nearby (as well as spend too much time in L.L. Bean /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ). Beautiful country. And as far as all the little critters you can encounter, lest others forget, author Stephen King hails from Maine. Perhaps some things in his walkabouts served as inspiration! LOL

And from this picture you can safely say I'm a big fan of the X5T. I've posted a WTT the new one in the background for a red LED flavor to flesh things out properly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif And a flashaholic here has been urging me to get a UV model as well.

--Bob

small_flashes_sm2.JPG

jbrett14

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
BlindedByTheLite said:
#2. SKUNKS.. i do NOT want to be sprayed in the middle of a hike..

[/ QUOTE ]

Ryan, I enjoyed your post. As for the concern of skunks: I don't think you will have to worry about them. I am no skunk expert, but from my observation of skunks, they seem to only "spray" as a last resort, when being attacked or threatened. I actually followed one around my yard one day, getting pretty close without any problem at all. He just kept walking away from me (they don't run very well). Another time I saw a dog get closer to one, and the skunk cocked his tail and was ready but never actually sprayed. Kind of like a rattler that is prepared and ready. I think the dog would had to of actually tried getting the skunk before it would defend itself. So, unless you are actually trying to get the skunk, you should have no problems. The skunks are not out to get you, and would probably prefer not to have to use their stink guns. Perhaps someone more qualified with greater experience than I have had, can confirm this. Enjoy the skunks. They are actually quite entertaining to watch. I once watched one get inside an empty potato chip bag out in the yard. He tumbled around as if playing, for about 15 minutes in that bag.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice post Ryan, I read it all and enjoyed it thoroughly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

What's wrong with your Arc LS? Let me know if I can help.

Peter

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Three skunk stories (only one with a flashlight):

I grew up in a small town in Iowa. There was a grimy little guy there who used to walk by our house everyday. He'd stroll by on his way into town, with his pet skunk at his heels. Nobody messed with him.

My wife and I used to live on a farm. On moonless nights, it would get pitch black out there. My parents came to visit on one of these nights. At the end of the evening, my father stepped off the front porch, tripped over something and fell on his face. I dashed in to get my spotlight to see what was the matter, and saw a big skunk glaring back at me. No harm, no foul (sorry), and both the skunk and my father went their separate ways.

I didn't think anything more about it until a couple days later when I hear a commotion outside and detect a rather noxious odor coming in through our open bedroom window. I go out to have a look, and there's this big skunk again camped out under the window. Now, I'm getting a little concerned.

A few days later I'm heading out to my car in the driveway to run an errand. There's the big skunk again between me and my car door. This time, I go back in, get my .357 magnum, and put an end to his reign at my house. A bit of advice: don't ever shoot a skunk in your front yard. They leave you a powerful and longlasting memoir of their presence before they expire.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bob:
i agree.. the geography in Maine is very beautiful.. we're lucky to have extremely fast access to deep forests from most anywhere in the state.. i'm sure Stephen King has been inspired by some things in the middle of the woods (scary to think about it tho)..

JB:
you're right. skunks frequently make their homes underneath the hollow steps of my apartment complex.. i've sat on the steps and had them walk around me b4, and they really don't pay me any mind.. i'm just afraid of getting right on top of one without either of us having anywhere to go (some trails are very narrow and go thru very thick forest)..
as for your "enjoy the skunks" advice, i'm still torn, haha.. but i do agree they're entertaining.

Peter:
thanks, i was pretty excited to get some nice weather to try out some lights..
as for the Arc LSL, it seems to be an LED failure, altho Merri said it could be a problem on the board.. so as of now i'm not exactly sure.. it's definitely not the power packs or switches tho.. and i'm sure you could help /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif, i'll send a PM later on.

Sotto:
the skunk guy is a hilarious image, haha.. did he have a spiked collar for it? heh.
"don't shoot a skunk in your front yard", i think you could make some money putting that on a fortune cookie, haha! and maybe next time you'll reach for something with less oomph, haaa.

-Ryan

jbrett14

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
sotto said:
This time, I go back in, get my .357 magnum, and put an end to his reign at my house.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I first read this, my first thought took me back to my senior year in high school. On the way home from a girl's basketball game in Detroit, we were shot at by a couple thugs in a van. My buddy gets shot in the stomach and the bullet ends up hanging on his jacket, after first going through the vehicles door, and then completely through his mid-section. We find out later that it was from a 357-Magnum. So, here I am reading this and imagining what it must have done to that skunk. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif I guess you wanted to make sure he didn't survive. Sorry for getting off topic but I always think about that day when I hear the words .357 Magnum. My buddy, by the way, made a miraculous recovery, boggling the doctors. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif