Those with S017XA-Reflector......????

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
hows the throw on these? please post examples of what you're running these reflectors in and how hard you're driving the luxeon. any comparison would be great(doesn't necessarily have to be pictures. im debating whether to follow through with my Blaster 3P preorder or not and hope to incorporate this reflector in that light if it has some good throw.

14C

Enlightened
uhhh..I am pretty sure the Blaster 3P uses a 30 mm optic. You realize you'd have to find a way to get a 17 mm reflector to work in it?

Just FYI - I am sure I found a link somewhere to the manufacturer of these and they have a 27.5 mm version I think. This would be what you'd want I'd expect. It would have better throw too. If I can find the link again I'll post it.

Edit:

http://www.cadresearch.com/

sflate

Enlightened
I'm running one on a minimag with a Badboy 1000 and a 3W T-bin. The throw is very good to excellent and it is NOT a pinpoint beam. It is a very decent size spot with the best gradual side spill that I've seen. This makes it not only very very good for throw but very good for up close work too. It is not the very best you will get for close-up or for throw but it is the best compromise for both situations that I have ever seen and I have used NX-01, NX-05, McFlood, Mag reflector, and Fraen LP. I haven't found a perfect way yet to mount it and still use the twist on/off. I am doing it with success but I don't like the way I do it because the reflector is held in by the lens (I'm using glass). I broke the glass on my first attempt but I've been running it again for several weeks with no problem - but I'm trying to find a better way. I need a washer of the proper size to hold it in place by the metal around the lens but haven't found one yet. Guess I'll have to make one. Also, With a 5W it gives a great beam for close up to medium throw work (up to I'd say 15') Doesn't give a lot of throw but it's perfect for me when I work around the house like putting up a light fixture where I need light a few feet in front of me. I have a .jpg file of the physical specs for this reflector as well as 2 other larger ones that the company makes. (20mm and 27mm) I have several of those too but haven't experimented with them much yet. My first impression of the 20mm is that it gives a smaller hot spot and further throw than the 17mm. I prefer the 17mm since most of the work I do involves looking in computers and network cabinets (1' - 20') and this reflector beats out even those much larger than it. I do worry about how high heat will affect it over time.
Here are the specs:

17mm

20mm

27mm

Picture of all 3

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
14C said:
uhhh..I am pretty sure the Blaster 3P uses a 30 mm optic. You realize you'd have to find a way to get a 17 mm reflector to work in it?

Just FYI - I am sure I found a link somewhere to the manufacturer of these and they have a 27.5 mm version I think. This would be what you'd want I'd expect. It would have better throw too. If I can find the link again I'll post it.

Edit:

http://www.cadresearch.com/

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, i know the 3P uses a 30mm optic. from what i've gathered, if using just the high dome emitter and not a star, you can simply drop one of those 17mm reflectors right down on it. with the blaster 3P i was thinking it could just be epoxied/glued down.

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
sflate said:
I'm running one on a minimag with a Badboy 1000 and a 3W T-bin. The throw is very good to excellent and it is NOT a pinpoint beam. It is a very decent size spot with the best gradual side spill that I've seen. This makes it not only very very good for throw but very good for up close work too. It is not the very best you will get for close-up or for throw but it is the best compromise for both situations that I have ever seen and I have used NX-01, NX-05, McFlood, Mag reflector, and Fraen LP. I haven't found a perfect way yet to mount it and still use the twist on/off. I am doing it with success but I don't like the way I do it because the reflector is held in by the lens (I'm using glass). I broke the glass on my first attempt but I've been running it again for several weeks with no problem - but I'm trying to find a better way. I need a washer of the proper size to hold it in place by the metal around the lens but haven't found one yet. Guess I'll have to make one. Also, With a 5W it gives a great beam for close up to medium throw work (up to I'd say 15') Doesn't give a lot of throw but it's perfect for me when I work around the house like putting up a light fixture where I need light a few feet in front of me. I have a .jpg file of the physical specs for this reflector as well as 2 other larger ones that the company makes. (20mm and 27mm) I have several of those too but haven't experimented with them much yet. My first impression of the 20mm is that it gives a smaller hot spot and further throw than the 17mm. I prefer the 17mm since most of the work I do involves looking in computers and network cabinets (1' - 20') and this reflector beats out even those much larger than it. I do worry about how high heat will affect it over time.
Here are the specs:

17mm

20mm

27mm

Picture of all 3

[/ QUOTE ]

ooh beamshots! please /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

where and how you getting these reflectors?

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about the 27mm one in the Blaster 3P? Surely that would give more throw.

I would be interested if there was still some way to allow manual focus adjustment, as there is with the optic. Does anyone know if this would be possible, and can anyone point me to beamshots comparing the 30mm optic with any of the reflectors?

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the 17mm's on order from Wayne, but I don't have them yet. In my experience with the 30mm optic, though, I've found it to slightly outthrow the Pelican reflector (and with a wider hot spot, but much less spill). So I find it hard to believe that a 17mm reflector (as good as it may be) would compete with the 30mm optic for throw. I would take the previous poster's suggestion about using the 27mm instead - just to be on the safe side.

Edited to eliminate subhuman grammar. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Lux Luthor said:
I have the 17mm's on order from Wayne, but I don't have them yet. In my experience with the 30mm optic, though, I've found it to slightly outthrow the Pelican reflector (and with a wider hot spot, but much less spill). So I find it hard to believe that a 17mm reflector (as good as it may be) would compete with the 30mm optic for throw. I would take the previous poster's suggestion about using the 27mm instead - just to be on the safe side.

[/ QUOTE ]

well i guess the 27mm is a good consideration. now how to get one? and will it fit the blaster 3P /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to 14C's link, they should be available at Future Electronics (not sure if they are yet, though).

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wayne at Elektrolumens said that he just ordered 100 27mm reflectors, but he doesn't know when they will arrive, and he didn't say whaat he would sell them for.

Hopefully he will try it out in the Blaster 3P and then we can get some idea of the comparison with the optic.

sidespill

Enlightened
one consideration no one seems to mention is the reflector's height. 17mm 20mm 27mm those are all measurements of the width. These may be too tall for some applications, then again I don't know cause I don't have any. Pics of a 30MM optic next to these reflectors would help.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
4X4, Wayne (EL) said he will be getting in about 100 of the 27mm reflectors but not sure when. I myself would like to get some 20mm ones but Wayne is not interested in getting them. I hope he does get some in the future.

Not sure if these will help but:

Left: CNC-123 BB833 TY0J S017XA Reflector, Right: MagAA BB500 Q3J MagAA Reflector @ 7ft.
(keep in mind that a MagAA reflector focuses tighter than the S017XA)
bb833-ty0j_bb500-q3j.jpg

Left: LB Micra (current unknown) Q3? S017XA, Right: MagAA BB500 Q3J MagAA reflector @ 7ft.
micra_q3j-bb500.jpg

You can also see comparisons of the S017XA against others in my Optics Review.