LumiLEDs new plant in Malay

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
AFAIK, it will be in Penang, a nice island off the NW coast of M'sia, and hopefully the locals here will be able to get some bulk discounts? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif If so, maybe we can help organize a group buy for everyone, that is if they're willing to sell direct. This'll be interesting methinks... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Sub_Umbra said:
Penang -- my eyes glaze over thinking about it. What a wonderful place.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto Sub, what a culinary experience it is in PG!!

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the street food in Penang, I love esp the char kuey tiao! Cheap, and tasty, and in quantity! YUM!!! My mouth is watering already.

LS plant in Malaysia? hmm... do they make 5 watts as well? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nerd.... Yep! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
hotbeam said:
[ QUOTE ]
Sub_Umbra said:
Penang -- my eyes glaze over thinking about it. What a wonderful place.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto Sub, what a culinary experience it is in PG!!

[/ QUOTE ]

That is so funny! I was thinking of the food, too. And then nerd comes right after you and mentions Penang street food. 20 yrs ago I used to go to those little chinese open air cafes on the corners -- the kind with 6-8 cart-kitchens parked around the 2 open outside walls. Penang is my all time favorite place. I haven't been there since before the causeway was built.

I worked a lot back then all over the Third World but Penang was actually the place where I was treated the warmest.

That kills me that you both mentioned the food!

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, you guys are right all the way... Penang is actually one of the most well known places in M'sia for food, so no surprises that the thought comes as a first reaction to the name... Even for us locals, going to Penang usually means a major pig-out, and yes Nerd, Penang is still well known for its char kuey teow (fried flat rice noodles). There's still lots of hawker stalls all over the place, with Gurney drive being the most popular for tourists especially, but I've been told that its now become too commercialized and quality has dropped... You'll probably have to get a local to bring you around to the rest of the 'hidden' delicacies around the island for a real food experience nowadays... Well, am glad that Penang (M'sia) is well thought of by many ppl, even though its mostly just related to food and Leds! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CaseyTan

Newly Enlightened
haven't been to penang for many years, missed the good Penang Laksa, Char Kuey Teow, Ice Kacang etc etc. yum yum...

love the food /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif, but hate the traffic there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

btw, i'm a M'sian too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

nexro

Enlightened
I haven't been to Penang for a long time too. Have a few friends there.

Let's all meet up there sometime /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

nexro

*Retired*
They have already made their LEDs there for some time now. Read the article.

"The new facility will replace the current factory in Penang
this summer, tripling floor space to permit a corresponding increase in manufacturing capacity."