surefire lights in "day after tomorrow"

Status
Not open for further replies.

turbodog

Flashaholic
surefire lights in \"day after tomorrow\"

Other than the occasional glimpse this was the first movie I know of that had surefire lights used by the 'general public'.

sodakar

Newly Enlightened
Re: surefire lights in \"day after tomorrow\"

Are you talking about the scene when the nerdy student was fixing the radio in the library? I could only see the tailcap, but it definitely looked like a SureFire... Not sure where the heck he would've gotten one, but...

I also noticed that towards the end, Jack was using a Maxabeam... Pretty standard...

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast

M6's a few M4's...About the only thing about that movie that was any good. WHat a stinker...

--dan

turbodog

Flashaholic

Radio scene in library.

Scene where they are on the ship searching for the penicillin.

FNinjaP90

Enlightened

Yeah it was pretty cool how they used the M6 to beat up the wolves in the ship.

When the guys were searching for books, some had Surefires, other had Maglites. You can obviously see the ringy beam of the Maglites opposed to the perfect smooth beams of the Surefires. The SFs also didn't look that bright. LOLA's maybe?

I wonder if the New York Public Library actually houses a stash of Surefires?

turbodog

Flashaholic

You know, we all talk of "disaster" or "emergency" lights. I own a lot of lights, and I have to say that in most situations, a surefire would be the last light I would reach for in these type situations. Why? Battery life and no spare bulb. Someone will say, carry spares. That's great and all on a camping trip, but what about a situation where you barely have time to grab just 1 light and head for the door. That one light that must last you through the next day or two with no extra supplies for it.

What type light then? Something with long runtime. That usually means C or D cells. Spare bulb or an led light. Something with decent throw so you can check out things at a distance. Decently waterproof. Tough. I've got a mag 3C with an everled... that's a very hard combination to beat.

All that said, I love my surefire a2 and am on the pre-order list for a u2.

Blikbok

Enlightened

TurboDog: I think you'll agree, the single-setting SF lights are less than ideal when that single setting isn't ideal.

After having my A2 for a week, I completely re-evaluated my other SF lights. I have almost completely lost all interest in single-brightness lights.

However, I think that the example of grabbing a single light on the way out the door is a little simplistic. It takes very little planning to pre-position lights in the car or assemble a bag with common essentials, the "Get out of Dodge" or SHTF bag.

Like in the movie, how the hero had artic supplies pre-boxed and ready to go before he left for New York. He didn't need to go shopping, because as the introduction established, he was previously in frigid weather, and had all the gear ready to go for another expedition.

(Almost wandered off topic!)

I found the movie painful to watch from a scientific and story-telling standpoint. I was trying to restrain myself from mocking it out loud. I did think, however, how the library scenes would have been different if a few people had EDC lights. I also caught myself counting the dollar values of lights in each scene. SF M6's and Maxabeams? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Empath

Flashaholic

A thread on the same theme is running in the Cafe. I'm going to close this one. Anyone wishing to continue the topic, please refer to this thread in the Cafe

Status
Not open for further replies.