High dome or low dome for blue Luxeon?

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
i like the idea of a flood (to illuminate my mini-lighthouse)--so the low dome with nxo5 might be perfect.

is there a difference in color between high and low dome?

Bob

mahoney

Enlightened
I don't have enough experience with high dome colored Luxeons and optics to talk about a difference in optical performance between high and low dome, but my experience with low dome colored Luxeons is that they tend to have a lot of "artifacts" in the beam when used with a NX05 optic. Perhaps a McFlood would give a smoother flood.

So far as color goes, I've not seen more variation between the color of a high dome versus a low dome than you would have between any two colored Luxeons of either dome type. There can be significant variation in a given color, though not nearly as bad as you get with "white", and if you are lighting the emitters up side by side, you will sometimes see a difference in hue or shade.

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think it would change the colour on a coloured LED. On a white one it might, because the different dome shape will focus differently on different parts of the die. Because the Phosphour coating is not uniform in thickness, this might cause a difference in colour.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
i ordered a low dome because i think it will provide a nice smooth floody beam with an NX05.

as always, you opinions are much appreciated!

Bob