2005 Chevy Equinox ?

DavidTHR

Enlightened
I'm currently in the market for a new vehicle.

I have my eye on the new 2005 Chevy Equinox SUV.

Anyone own the Equinox, or have any information on this new SUV?

Thanks.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never heard of it, but I'd be careful with any American made vehicle, especially a first-year vehicle (from any maker for that matter).

--dan

DavidTHR

Enlightened
My current vehicle was also an "all new" first-year car -- the 2000 Chevy Impala.

It has been a GREAT car with now almost 100,000 miles on it with no major repairs with only regular oil changes.

I, therefore, have no problem with buying an "all new" American vehicle.

In my humble opinion, American vehicles rock!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Just my 2 cents. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I get nearly every carmag published in the U.S. and the consensus is that this is a very good vehicle. A larger, roomier version of the Saturn Vue.

The only negative was that some of the mags thought that the old V6 installed in the Equinox was reliable but not state-of-the-art.

I'd say, go for it if it fits your needs.

Marty

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two of our three cars we bought the very first year they came out. They are doing pretty darn good! We got a '93 Volvo 850 and it has over 130,000 miles on it. We also got a '98 Sienna which has about 70,000 miles on it.

Depends on the company. Kinda gambling too, but it can be fun to have the car the very first year it came out.

Back to the Equinox, I have seen it a few times at car shows, and it looks pretty nice. I don't know anymore than that though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Brock

Flashaholic
As far as a new model goes it depends on how "new" it actually is, or what is new on it. Many cars that are new are using existing tried and true parts from other models. So it isn't a new item that hasn't got the kinks out yet.

DavidTHR

Enlightened
Good point -- I think the Chevy Equinox is based on the Saturn Vue SUV.

Draco_Americanus

Enlightened
one must rember that even some forgin vehicals are indeed built in the usa. I belive toyota and honda both do this.
I drive both a 1988 s-10 rust bucket that has 179k miles on it with the orginal motor and a 1998 jeep grand cherokee that has around 157k miles on it.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if the Chevy is using the 3.8l V-6...They should have used the Honda V-6 that's in the Saturn Vue...

--dan

FNinjaP90

Enlightened
The Equinox motor is a 20 year old design that's made in China.

If I were you, I wouldn't buy a brand new car. Depending on how nice a car we are talking about, cars depreciate 20-40% in the first two or three years. So might as well buy a two or three year old car with 20k or 30k miles and pay 70% of the original msrp. A car with 20k miles is pretty much the same as a brand new car anyway.

DavidTHR

Enlightened
Thanks for the review link.

I plan on visiting some Chevy dealers this weekend to see the Equinox firsthand and to see what "deals" they are offering!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

DavidTHR

Enlightened
I believe I am eligible to get the GM "Supplier Discount" -- the GM Employee Price Plus 4 Percent -- so I think I should be able to get a really good price on the 2005 Equinox.

The only issue will be what they will give me on my trade -- a 2000 Chevy Impala with about 100,000 miles on it!

I usually put a lot of mileage on my vehicles, so I like to get a new car or SUV every 3 to 4 years if I am able to do so.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
FNinjaP90 if has the 3.4L engine then it is not made in China. The 3.4L Assembly plant are Ramos Arizpe, Mexico
and Tonawanda, NY, and is a GM design. If by 20 year old design you mean pushrods as opposed to overhead cam, that is so you don't have to stop every 60k and replace the timing belt and half the engine like all the "superior" OHC designs. The current 3.4L is a fairly new design as the old 3.4L was an OHC engine. Its also interesting to note that the low tech pushrod design of the 3.4L still lets my wife's Impala get MPG in the 30's which is very comparable to smaller cars with much higher tech engines which require more maintenance, so low tech does have its good points /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

FNinjaP90

Enlightened
I just read in car and driver that it was a 20yr old design that's made in China. But you have to agree with me that no matter how reliable and low-maintainance it is, 185hp and 210ftlb torque from a 3.4L engine is pretty crappy. That's 54.5hp/L.

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Goes to show how bad those magazines are with the facts. Even if it is low HP it doesn't matter since it moves the vehicle just fine. We have a 3.4L Impala, it gets MPG in the 30's and can move that large car plenty fast. When you compare that to a more complicated modern design engine that gives more HP but moves a smaller car that same speed and the same MPG then it shows how well the "old" design works.