Cruise Ships & Noroviruses?

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Living in Alaska, we of course have a lot of cruise ships stopping in. What gives with the "Noroviruses" that seem to be so widespread on these cruise ships?

Heard about these sometime ago, reminds me of "Legionnaires Disease" that broke out awhile back (though of course Legionaires is respiratory and the Norovirus is gastro/intestinal...

Still both seem to be contracted by large groups of people associated with a gathering in a common place.

We have a ship in Whittier, Alaska tonight with 2000 tourists waiting for the crew to "disinfect" the ship before they set sail again...then you read or hear on the news that another incident has occurred.

Thoughts?

Greta

Flashaholic
Thoughts? Thoughts?? THOUGHTS????? ... I'm leaving for a freakin' cruise the day after tomorrow and you post a thread like THIS?!?!?!?... Thanks Rick... I love you too... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, everyone have positive thoughts about Sasha's trip. All will be good and she will have lots of fun.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
For Sasha,

Norovirus: What You Need to Know

[ QUOTE ]
What are preventative measures I can use while cruising to avoid coming down with Norovirus?

First and foremost, says Disney Cruise Lines' Mark Jaronski, "Wash your hands often. As far as we've seen, that's the best way to avoid contaminants." Beyond that, avoid uncooked food as much as possible -- and that includes everything from raw oysters to salads. Water can also be a carrier so limit yourself to the bottled variety (and avoid ice cubes). Limit person-to-person contact as much as possible (shaking hands and such) -- not to mention sharing drinking glasses and eating utensils. Cruise Critic also advises travelers to pack extra soap, your own supply of Lysol and, just in case, a bottle of Pepto-Bismol.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have fun!

-Bill

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Sasha...I'm home sick (and I mean really SICK!)...now you have me hacking half of my lungs up (with an evil laugh trying to escape between strings of flem!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You're supposed to be gone anyway by now! Just don't drink the water, eat the food, or touch anything that others are touching (or breathing)!

Did they make you sign a waiver? (I'm just jealous!)

Now seriously, here's an article.

Yes, your cruise and the timing of this outbreak sort of motivated me to post this question. We have several members in the medical field and I really would like to know what's up with the viral infection and cruise ships.

Sorry - I REALLY didn't mean to upset you!! Really, please don't make my punishment too harsh...then again...perhaps I've been bad!

Greta

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
now you have me hacking half of my lungs up (with an evil laugh trying to escape between strings of flem!)

[/ QUOTE ]

HA!!! Serves you right, killjoy!!
eviltongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
...then again...perhaps I've been bad!

[/ QUOTE ]

whipping.gif