Glowrings banned from ebay

fasteddie

Enlightened
Got a notice today that one of the auctions for glowrings on ebay was cancelled. I know that they are not sold in the US, but don't really know why. Anybody out there have an explanation? Too bad, they are really quite nice.

Gandalf

Enlightened
The substance which activates the phosphor is a radioisotope called tritium. It's one of the weakest radioactive materials known; the beta emissions (electrons, actually) won't even penetrate a piece of paper. But, the amount of tritum in Glowrings is allegedly in excess of NRC reglations for radioisotopes for 'consumer use'. Luminox watches, and handgun night sights, both use similar glass capsules filled with tritium, and lined with a phosphor, but the amount of tritium is less than in the Glowrings. England and all (or most) of Europe seem to think that the relatively small amount of tritium in Glowrings is safe for people to posses; it's just the NRC bureaucracy justifyng their existance. There is a *much* higher energy isotope present in all smoke detectors, but for some strange reason, the NRC thinks that's OK...
mad.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
I was under the impression that the Glowrings are considered a novelty in the USA "law". I understand why novelties should not be allowed to be radioactive.

However, the Glowrings serve a purpose, and I don't consider them a novelty or a toy.

It's one of the few times you can turn off the lights to find your keys.

Al

duffahtolla

Newly Enlightened
Are they illegal to own or just illegal to sell.

I can't image them running around trying to collect all the glow rings already sold.

grin.gif

never mind.. found itthanks

Spork

Enlightened
Originally posted by axolotls:
Saaby: The illegality in the U.S. is not because they were deemed hazardous, it's a licensing issue = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I wonder what the real reason is? There is a guy from the netherlands that can help you out if you live in the US. I wonder if theres something we could do to convince whoever to make them legal here. get enough people throwing a fit and someone might notice. I wish i knew who was resposnible for making them illegal. I would love to stick all their heads in the toilet and flush it a few times. They seem to fragile to keep on my keys with the arc but they work great for marking things around the house. I gave one to a girl I like and she loves it! It just makes me sick that something like these are illegal.

Saaby

Flashaholic
If it's illegal to own them...I'm not worried. How many officers or FBI agents are out checking peoples car keys for items that glow? Even if you did get pulled over and the officer saw it on your keys...how many people even realize they're illegal?!

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by mrchri5:
They seem to fragile to keep on my keys with the arc but they work great for marking things around the house.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I've had one banging around on my keyring (had two there for a while actually..) along with an Arc AAA and the usual odds and ends, for over 8 months now and never a problem. Its been dropped a few times, and beaten around a bit, but you'd hardly notice. The plastic case is a little scratched, but thats it..

Graham

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by mrchri5:
[QBI wish i knew who was responsible for making them illegal. I would love stick all their heads in the toilet and flush it a few times. .[/QB]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">LOL- probably not worth clogging your toilet over though-
If someone got a burr up the fecal canal about the glowrings, it wouldn't matter if anyone knew whether they were illegal or not, if they say it is, it will be-

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
That makes no sense.
frown.gif

I can go to my local sporting goods store and buy tritium glow sights for bow hunting.

How is that possible?
confused.gif

Are they breaking the law? If so how did they get them, they seem to be taking a big risk by being so obvious.

jabajet

Newly Enlightened
This is an alternative ebay UK , I have purchased from him before with no problems. Shipping was very reasonable.
cool.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
Originally posted by jabajet:
This is an alternative ebay UK , I have purchased from him before with no problems. Shipping was very reasonable.
cool.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Speaking of which how does one convert £ to $? I was looking at Saabs just for kicks and wondered how many $s my new Saab 9000, sold for about £3,500 is really going to cost
wink.gif
(Right hand drive is only *half* the fun)

B@rt

Flashaholic
GLOWRINGS...
Just heard from Bagheera CPF# 1076, he will be ordering glowrings in the very near future, so anybody who wants some can contact him.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sent an email to the ebay seller. Here is his reply.

Hello Everyone,
Please read this completely, I believe it will answer most of your questions.

Ebay has seen fit to take down my auctions because they believe them to be a "hazard." While it is true that these keyrings contain an element called tritium which is technically radioactive - it is the same element that is used in many watches to make the hands glow for years, and the radioactivity is so low that it does not even penetrate the plastic casing of the keyring. As such it is UN-DETECTABLE. Also I didn't invent these things, they are mass produced and sold all over the world. In any case, they've warned me
not to put any more auctions up so I must abide.
HOWEVER, what I can - and will do shortly is put up similar auctions that do not sell the items, but simply sell (give) instructions on how to purchase the items elsewhere (still from me of course). You will all have to wait a week - perhaps two, while I organize another method of transacting business?which is fine because it will take about that long for my next shipment to arrive (I am currently out of Blue and Purple). So, I will leave it up to you. I suggest you add my Ebay ID: JsYoda99 to your Ebay "Favorite Sellers" that way you can choose the option to be notified once I re-list my auctions. IMPORTANT: If you have already won Glowrings via any auctions that closed on 8/7/02 or before, those are still valid, and the transactions should be completed
as usual.
Also, if you would like to purchase any number of Green, Yellow or Orange, Please Email me and we can make arrangements. Otherwise, please wait until I get everything set up.

Thank you for your patience, and I apologize for the inconvenience.

Jason

Green, Yellow & Orange are $9.99 Each.
Shipping is $2.01 for 1 Glowring (Total $12)
Shipping is $3.02 for 2 Glowrings. (Total$23)
For each Additional Glowring add $0.51 (51 cents).
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

axolotls

Enlightened
Just go with Bagherra. They are cheaper from him and at least you are doing something good by also supporting his group.