A continuation of Wilkey's magnificent project!

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
A continuation of Wilkey\'s magnificent project!

With all respect to Wilkey, I've started a new thread on one of the greatest flashlights ever built! The Aurora!. This thread is not about the Aurora, rather, it's a continuation of discussion on the possible batteries, bulbs, reflector configurations that we can use to try to imitate what he has done

Some things that he has already done and we've learnt:

Bigger reflector = Better furthur throwing beam.
Batteries needed will be nothing short of spectacular stuff like high current cells like KAN/Sanyo/GP which the RC community has already been using

Bulbs: Osram's HLX blah blah blah number bulbs which comes in varying wattages, efficiency and lumens. Maybe Wilkey can chime in here?

Body: Most people would want a body similar to a Mag so that there is a hidden wow factor when one of your non flashaholic friends picks it up and turns it on. But I would op for a custom body so that changes, however big, can be accomodated. (I don't seem to be doing so good on the pun department, pardon my lame attempts)

Please! Share your knowledge here! Let us make this project of building the brightest flashlight in the smallest, most ergronomic form factor available!

FNinjaP90

Enlightened
Re: A continuation of Wilkey\'s magnificent project!

Well we know that the KAN 4/5A cells gave enough current. But they don't have the runtime that we are looking for. Does anyone make some really nice A or 4/3A cells? If so, we can wire them up in the original configuration of 3 columns of 4 cells in series to acheive 14.4V to power the LVR3I.

The original 4/5A pack was 6.8" long and fit in a 3D body. An A pack would be 7.9" long and should fit in a 4D with runtime, then a 4/3A pack would be 10.6" long and might fit in a 5D.

A cells would have to need a bored out Mag body, so I don't know if it will be more economical to use the stock body or just make a brand new one from scratch.

Would Oto's Magdaddy head not be big enough? Cuz I'm down for a 4" reflector if he can make one. It will look more in proportion with the 4D body anyway.

FNinjaP90

Enlightened
Re: A continuation of Wilkey\'s magnificent project!

We should also move this to the Homemade forum.