• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired WTB: Lux III with very high forward voltage

ledlurker

Enlightened
looking for a White Lux III with a P or Q forward voltage. The higher the better. I figure there might be some rejects out there with some abnormally high forward voltage.

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
The highest I ever saw is N and I doubt it will go any higher than that - there are SWANs avaiable though.

Klaus

ledlurker

Enlightened
yeah, I wanted to change over my Legend LX. I have already built a drop in heat sink out of 2 copper pennies (pre 1980). I found out by accident that the pennies are the perfect diameter for the legend LX. All you have to do is sand them smooth drill a 0.250 inch hole in one, epoxy them together, mount the emmiter on the tope one run the wires down through the holes and then the larger hole, put a diode in for polarity protection. I do not need to modify the base flashlight except for cutting the reflector. If you want better heatsinking then you can AA epoxy it down to the barrel lip.

That I was hoping to find a "reject one" that might have a unusually high forward voltage one

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
From yours truly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8pcs minimum though - here´s the THREAD

"S" 3 Watt stars

85 Euro for 8 pcs shipped, uninsured, signature delivery
160 Euro for 16 pcs shipped, uninsured, signature delivery
240 Euro for 24 pcs shipped, uninsured, signature delivery

From the "S" bins there are SV1J, SWAN and SYOK avaiable

Klaus

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe a dumb question. If you want high Vf, why not add another diode in series with a lower Vf luxeon. A schottky will increase the effective Vf bin by about 1 1/2 letters and a regular Si diode by about 3 letters. BTW, using a lower Vf luxeon and a series resistor will give you a flatter discharge curve [current level over the total discharge of the cells] than using a higher Vf luxeon without resistor. IMHO, direct drive from low impedence cells like NiCd, NiMh, LiMnO2, Li-ion is a bad idea.

ledlurker

Enlightened
Ok, thanks, Off to experiment with some more diodes. I just wanted to stay away from using a resistor. I thought using a high voltage LED (around 5.75 to 5.85 Volts) would give me a nice flat discharge curve without wasting any power through a resistor. I think the diode might waste some power. For my own mod I would just leave the diode out and be careful in installing it.