photon II

D

**DONOTDELETE**

just got my photon II, i ordered white, the box says white, but it has a slight purplish tint to it. what gives?

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
White LEDs unfortunately do not all light with the same colour tint. Many appear blueish, some are purply, some are almost yellow or green. It`s just the natural variations that occur within the manufacturing processes, which are extremely difficult to control precisely. To get around this they get sorted by colour tint (and brightness) and assigned a "rank", which, often, manufacturers can specify when ordering their LEDs.

I was under the impression that Photon used LEDs that were from a less blueish rank (maybe B1), but occasionally one odd one will get through the sorting process, or perhaps they experienced a shortage of the desired rank and had to make do with an alternative for a little while.

If you don`t like the purply tint you can always take advantage of LRI`s great customer satisfaction guarantee- I reckon they`d accept a return for a refund or perhaps an exchange- and see if the replacement has a better colour. But if it`s not too much of a problem to you, don`t worry- it`s a common occurance.

Incidentally one of my white Arc-AAAs (the normal black bodied one, not the LE) has a distinctive purple tint to the beam. Another is a lot whiter, just a little blueish.

grin.gif

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by switch625:
just got my photon II, i ordered white, the box says white, but it has a slight purplish tint to it. what gives?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I have a photon II also and it has a purple/bluish tint. If you want to see how mine compares to the tint of yours you can look at beam pictures I have put up on my web-site:
Sean's Flashlight Page

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
No fair!
frown.gif
wink.gif
tongue.gif

My Inova 5X is jet black in color and has *no* markings or labelling of any kind on it. Yours says "Inova" on the butt end.

Maybe mine is an earlier "edition" than yours.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by telephony:
No fair!
frown.gif
wink.gif
tongue.gif

My Inova 5X is jet black in color and has *no* markings or labelling of any kind on it. Yours says "Inova" on the butt end.

Maybe mine is an earlier "edition" than yours.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea, I didn't want the black one for fear of it getting scratched up.

I was surprised about the "Inova" inprinting on the end also that's why I photographed it.
smile.gif
Under that it says "patents pending".
I've updated my web site a little tonight and have a closer view of the end on there.

x5rear.jpg

D

**DONOTDELETE**

thanks for the replies!

sean, according to my wife the camera/color expert, she says it's blue.