Flag.

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
I really dont remember. As far as the flag being flown at half mast right now my understanding is that it is a custom that when a President dies to fly it at half mast for one month.

kodiak

Enlightened
I respect the custom. Does anyone else feel uncomfortable having the flag at half mast on Independence Day? We are at war. Should we not fly the flag high this weekend? For the men and woman fighting in foreign land. I'm sorry if i'm out of line.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
[ QUOTE ]
kodiak said:
I respect the custom. Does anyone else feel uncomfortable having the flag at half mast on Independence Day? We are at war. Should we not fly the flag high this weekend? For the men and woman fighting in foreign land. I'm sorry if i'm out of line.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not out of line and I think you make a good point. However, I believe the one-month at half-mast custom should remain even over the 4th.

OBTW and this is only a temporary hi-jack. My son turns 15 on the 4th of July. My wife went into labor the morning of the 3rd and I asked her to hold on for a while (that went over big). Well, she held on until 10PM the next night, 36 hours of labor. By noon on the 4th I was saying, come on already or you're going to miss it. I still haven't lived it down.

kodiak

Enlightened
Happy Birthday to your son! I'm suprised you're alive to celebrate it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif You must have a real keeper!

StuU

Enlightened
We also have to remember that our flag is just a symbol. Every nation and tribe can have a cloth symbol.

What makes America worth defending are the principles embodied in that radical document known as the US Constitution. And we will be judged by future generations as to how we lived up to that document and the principles it embodies.

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read this morning that the President ordered the flag back to flying high early to honor Independence Day, so all should be back.

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
On my way home from work Thursday I noticed a small American flag laying in the median between lanes as I was stopped at a stop light. All I had to do was get out of my vehicle and pick it up. Instead I drove off. I turned around about a 1/4 mile down the road and went back and picked it up. I just could not stand to see our flag laying there on the highway. I hung it on the wall of my 6 year olds bedroom. It may just be a cloth symbol but I was raised to respect that symbol and all it stands for. God bless America and let freedom ring.

theepdinker

Enlightened
StuU,
Yes it is a symbol. Not JUST a symbol.
Respect for the flag shows appreciation for all the rights of citizenship and benefits of living in America.
If you don't understand this concept, you need to travel.
You need to see the conditions others live in.
Most people are born into a society that holds them to the position they were born into. You have the best opportunity to improve your life in the U.S. compared to any country on earth. Don't believe me? Ask immigrants why they are here and want to stay.
If you can't appreciate it after traveling and seeing for yourself then all the flag will ever be to you is a piece of cloth.
If nothing else, some respect for my beliefs and culture is due me as much as the same for a recent immigrant.
Everybody have fun & be safe. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/party.gif

Theepdinker

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flag at Half Mass for July 4.

[ QUOTE ]
kodiak said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I was going to start a new thread, but I see one has already been started.

Is it custom to fly a flag for half mass for this long every time a past Presidend passes away?

My good (but liberal) friend blamed the flag being flown at half mass for so long "A George Bush Political move" and "this thing was all pre-arranged by Nancy".

I would love to prove her wrong.

Anyone have any references?

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Flag at Half Mass for July 4.

Here are the rules for flying a flag at half mast as shown HERE

The flag, when flown at half-staff, should be first hoisted to the peak for an instant and then lowered to the half-staff position. The flag should be again raised to the peak before it is lowered for the day. On Memorial Day the flag should be displayed at half-staff until noon only, then raised to the top of the staff. By order of the President, the flag shall be flown at half-staff upon the death of principal figures of the United States Government and the Governor of a State, territory, or possession, as a mark of respect to their memory. In the event of the death of other officials or foreign dignitaries, the flag is to be displayed at half-staff according to Presidential instructions or orders, or in accordance with recognized customs or practices not inconsistent with law. In the event of the death of a present or former official of the government of any State, territory, or possession of the United States, the Governor of that State, territory, or possession may proclaim that the National flag shall be flown at half-staff. The flag shall be flown at half-staff 30 days from the death of the President or a former President; 10 days from the day of death of the Vice President, the Chief Justice or a retired Chief Justice of the United States, or the Speaker of the House of Representatives; from the day of death until interment of an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, a Secretary of an executive or military department, a former Vice President, or the Governor of a State, territory, or possession; and on the day of death and the following day for a Member of Congress. The flag shall be flown at half-staff on Peace Officers Memorial Day, unless that day is also Armed Forces Day. As used in this subsection -

1. the term "half-staff" means the position of the flag when it is one-half the distance between the top and bottom of the staff;

2. the term "executive or military department" means any agency listed under sections 101 and 102 of title 5, United States Code; and

3. the term "Member of Congress" means a Senator, a Representative, a Delegate, or the Resident Commissioner from Puerto Rico.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
The US Flag Code

I found it myself! it IS a Bush/Nancy conspiracy!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

excerpt

16.When flown at half-staff, the flag is hoisted to the peak for an instant, then lowered to the half-staff position (half the distance between the top and bottom of the staff). Before the flag is lowered for the day, it is raised again to the top. For some local conditions the flag may be flown at approximately half-staff. On Memorial Day (May 30), the flag is displayed at half-staff until noon and at full staff from noon until sunset. Half-staff honors the heroic dead; full staff shows that the nation lives, for the flag is the symbol of the living nation. Presidential proclamations set forth the following instructions as to when and for how long the U.S. flag should fly at half-staff: <font color="red"> for 30 days from the day of death of the president or a former president of the United States; for 10 days on the death of the vice-president, the chief justice or a retired chief justice of the Supreme Court, or the speaker of the House of Representatives; </font> from the day of death until burial of an associate justice of the Supreme Court, a member of the Cabinet, a former vice-president, the president pro tempore of the Senate, the majority and minority leaders of the Senate, or the majority and minority leaders of the House; on the day of death and the next day for a senator, representative, territorial delegate, or resident commissioner within the District of Columbia and until burial within the state, territory, or commonwealth concerned.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Flag at Half Mass for July 4.

[ QUOTE ]
Fitz said:
Here are the rules for flying a flag at half mast as shown HERE

Fritz,

Thanks! We must have posted at the same time. Your reference is much more official than mine, thanks!