Sirius vs. XM satellite radio, which is better?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was going to wait before considering satellite radio until I got a new car and a new head unit to support it as I already have a nice head unit. However I listened to satellite radio for the first time which happened to be Sirius and I was floored. The unit I listened to used a FM modulator to transmit to your current head unit or any FM radio. I realize this is not as good soundwise, as a direct unit but I think still sounded pretty good, plus there was audio out jacks in the unit to plug it straight into am amp of some sort.

Any experience on both, particularly on initial costs and does one have better satellite reception then the other?

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Re: Sirius vs. XM satellite radio, which is better

I have started research on this topic. I am going to get XM. I have not researched Sirius as I discounted them because GM is plugging XM. XM has over 2 million subscribers, I trust them to be around. As far as head units, I am looking at a Roady instead of an in-dash head unit. There are a few companies that make an adapter you can use instead of an FM modulator for better sound. If you want to learn a ton go to Satellite Radio Forum

DanM

Newly Enlightened

I know this will sound like a flash-a-holic but I have both. I picked up Sirius because they have all the NBA, NFL, and NHL games every week

Wave

Newly Enlightened

I had the Kenwood H2A SIRIUS receiver attached to the stock Rockford Forgate Stereo in my 2003 Nissan Xterra SE-S/C in November of 2003. I can honestly say that I haven't listened to FM radio since. Plus I can listen to it on my home PC and for you sattelite TV subscribers out there, I believe you can now access SIRIUS thru it.

+1 for SIRIUS since they have the NFL contract.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have XM and am very happy with it. Great for my trips to the middle of nowhere, where there is no daytime reception at all. I looked into Sirrius, and decided against it. (Now if they would just come out with an XM Walkman!)

Here is a good XM info site: http://www.xmfan.com/

matt_j

Enlightened

Yeah I researched xm and I like it but I'm waiting for a portable version (walkman not a boombox they have)...

Eric_M

Enlightened

I went with XM. Better deal on the equipment and cheaper monthly service.

I'm very happy with it.

Eric

6pOriginal

Enlightened

Since the local radio stations here are very awful, and I like to do road trips. I started using XM about 1/2 year ago. I have the XM roadie, it's small and cheap (relatively). It can also use an option remote control. I listen to the 3 classical channels mostly, and sometimes the pop/rock and the news channels. The only thing I would like them to add is a tech channel. The signals are pretty good and very stable since they use geostationary satellites (unlike the Sirius Dogs) I can even keep the antenna under the windshield and still get good signal.

stockwiz

Enlightened

From a financial standpoint, XM is in better shape with less overall debt, with a much better chance of long term survival, but both are running in the red and are quite a ways away from profitability. It still remains to be seen if these companies can be run profitably. They are spending lots on marketing and the development and distribution of the technology but will have to cut costs eventually. My guess is that XM definitely survives and SIRI has a fighting chance as well pending a stable economy with loyal debtholders.

As of March 31, 2004, XM Radio reported 1,681,903 subscribers. Three months later, they report 2.1 million customers, a growth of some 420,000 in just 3 months.

For first quarter 2004, XM reported record quarterly revenue of $43.0 million, increasing nearly 230 percent from $13.1 million in the first quarter 2003. They recorded a loss of some 145 million dollars excluding one time charges, so they have a LONG way to go before becoming profitable, but are growing fast.

For the first quarter of 2004, SIRIUS recognized total revenue of $9.3 million, compared to $1.6 million for the first quarter of 2003. SIRIUS reported a loss from operations of $(119.5) million for the first quarter of 2004, compared to a loss from operations of $(99.1) million for the first quarter of 2003.

As of March 31, 2004, SIRIUS had 351,663 subscribers. This represents a net subscriber addition of 90,602 during the quarter. Much more of their subscriber base is coming from auto deals where it comes preinstalled.

If we weren't in such a liquid enviornment with their stocks with the demand they have, I doubt they would make it, but I hope they do, because the technology is unique. Dish network subscribers have access to 60 SIRI channels and I must say I am enjoying listening to one of them right now on my television.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,

Bought and installed a Delphi Roady 2 today. The Roady 2 was released a few weeks ago. It is 30% smaller than the Roady, has a built in FM modulator and will have a battery pack option very soon. For those that wanted the walkman XM this should be pretty close. Hook-up is a no brainer except for running the antenna wire. The antenna is very small and is attached with a built in magnet, it's super strong. To move the antenna I had to slide it to the edge of the roof, I couldn't lift it off. I would say the antenna is the size of a golf ball cut in half. It comes with a cassette adapter and two different type mounting options. I am running the cass. adapter as it will provide better sound than the FM modulator. The unit itself has lots of cool features of which my favorite is an auto off feature. You can set it to off, 60 min, 120 min. or 180 min. It's a nice way to save your battery. There are other frills like different colored background lighting and lots of other menu choices. The other thing to consider is you get a form to send in for a free home kit. That includes an AC adapter, another antenna and RCA wires. The free home kit must be post-marked by 10 Jul. so it's do or die for that deal. I bought mine at Circuit City for $130. That seems to be the going price and I wasn't interested in saving $10-$15 and lose a chance at the free home kit. Call before going because the one I got was put on the shelf less than 15 minutes before I got to the store. I called in the AM and they were out of stock but thought they had some coming in a few hours. Low and behold they arrived and I got one. I bought the 2 year service for $199 which saves $40. If I cancel they will refund me whatever I don't use. Overall I am very satisfied and would recommend the product unless you really need a hardwired unit.

coachbigdog

Enlightened

Have had xm for over a year and LOVE IT! Never 1 single issue with them.

Eric_M

Enlightened

Just another note, this is the coolest mounting option I've found: http://store.myradiostore.com/arsr15flgstm.html

It's a goosneck that uses the left front seat nounting bolt on the passenger side. There's no modification to your vehicle. It really gives it a custom look and keeps it out of the way.

Definitely worth the money.

Eric

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast

I now bring this thread back from the basement. How do people feel about Sirius vx. XM now?

I ended up buying a Sirius receiver. Why? It started with a radio promotion for XM. Buy one XM and get the Roady free. That sounded tempting enough to consider XM. I asked seven people at work which one they liked and everyone said XM. Why? One guy said because and the other guy said it comes in his wife's new Cadillac so that means XM is the best. Being a flashaholic means I don't trust any specs anyone throws out.

Pricing the two systems didn't help since XM raised their price to the level of Sirius.

XM does have receivers that are portable but I never like a Walkman and the ear buds. That didn't help my decision.

XM can program time shift and I thought that might be an advantage. But I found out that Sirius now does time shifting.

Sirius has a plan that instead of $12.95 a month plan, yearly, 3 year plans or you can buy a forever membership for $499.95 (for the life of the receiver.) That is a lot of dough but if you do the numbers then after 3.5 years you are even money. And what if the prices of the monthy charge go up? Prices don't go down like they used to.

Since both radio sources allow a three day test trial I started testing both. I started listening to XP since the people at work swore that is the end all to radio. Siruis started at a disadvantage because I was prejudiced by the people at work.

But in the end I went against the majority. I always do. I liked the music coming from Sirius. Back and forth from Sirius to XM then I wandered back to Sirius to stay.

What tipped me to Sirius in the end of the decision? Your monthly fees allow both XM and Sirius to be accessed through the Internet. XM requires a module to be added to your computer to access the radio while Sirius does not.

So I wandered around at work during lunchtime today. I started up Sirius in all the computers there to the same Sirius radio station. When everyone wandered back they came back hearing Donovan's song, "Sunshine Superman" echoing through the building. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Right now I'm listening to Jackie DeShannon, "What The World Needs Now Is Love" on Sirius radio in my backyard on the notebook computer. No special module needed.

What won me over to Sirius is the variety of programming and I don't need the receiver to listen to the songs I like.

I wonder if Sirius would know if my receiver ever broke? If I had a lifetime contract with Sirius who is going to tell Sirius to cancel a contract because the radio broke? If I didn't tell them then I would have Internet radio forever. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm probably going to buy the Sirius, mainly because of Howard Stern, who will be going to satellite next year. As a delivery driver, he really livens up my morning and gives me a lot of laughs. Another reason is that I found out Jim Brewer (sp?), comedian extraordinaire, has an afternoon show he does on Sirius.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Been an XM'er for about a year and a half. It is on 24/7. I've experienced about 5 minutes total time where I had no signal and that was almost certainly weather related. Talk about reliable. I've got the boombox and a car cradle. I listen to a wide variety of programming and love it. I haven't tried the PC version yet, but I'm pretty sure that there is now streaming audio (no extra equipment required). There was (is?) an XMPCR that was a computer add on through the sound card only, but recent changes in their account structure has made that no longer necessary (at least I think so).*

But why would I still choose XM over Sirius today if I was starting out? Not because XM stock goes for about 5 times what Sirius does (as of close Thursday $ 33.83 vs. $ 5.99). Not because XM has twice the subscriptions (4.2 million vs. over 2 million)

Wanna know why I'd really still go with XM? I've got a notebook that I keep by the radio so I can write down songs I've got to add to my CD collection. I've only had the list for about 8 months.

Darn thing has way over 1000 songs already. That and the fact that everyday I hear songs I haven't heard in over 20 years.

This thing is like crack for your ears.

* Just double checked, and there is no additional equipment needed to listen to XM Online. It's part of my subscription and even works with dialup. Oh, lawdy, I am hopelessly addicted to XM. It is (GASP!) worse than my addiction to flashlights!

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast

FYI, more and more recievers are become "Satellite Radio Ready". Apparently, the whole XM or Sirius Ready stuff was a spoof(XM or Sirius signed with companies on certain radios to say only one or the other). While it did say that only one would work, it didnt take much to make the other service work on the same radio. But most are now just Satellite Ready and goes for both. I bet that I will soon get a satellite radio reciever. I hear too much about them not to get one. I will go with XM I suspect. Its what I personally heard it my bros car, so I know what it offers.

Cameron

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you can listen on your PC for free, that is a big plus for Sirius. Considering the financial instability of the company, I am leery of purchasing the lifetime contract just yet. I still plan on getting one or the other before the year is up. It may come down to what is easier and cheaper to set up in the car. I'll probably go with a unit that transmits to your fm receiver for now although I'm sure the quality isn't as good as a direct input type.

Eric_M

Enlightened

XM offers free web listening now as well.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast

There are no modules required anymore to listen to XM? Has anyone tried XM-internet remote access on a computer without a module?

I've had XM for the last month and love it. In fact, I'm listening to XM on the internet right now. XM has the MLB contract, but Sirius has NFL and most college basketball. Hope I don't need to get Sirius, too, in the fall. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif