NorCal CPFers, can you name this landmark ??

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see this landmark in a lot of movies, and I remember visiting it a long time ago and would like to go back.

I think it is in San Francisco
p6.jpg

Screehopper

Enlightened
Yup, one movie it was in was The Rock. The part where Sean Connery meets up with his daughter before the cops/etc close in on him again.

The Exploritorium, children's museum, is a pretty neat place. Suitable for adults or big kids. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
6pOriginal said:
and as far as I remember, they said the pieces were just placed on top of each other, no cement used! Very cool!

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, it was a quick construction project as part of the 1915 Exposition to celebrate the SF's recovery from the 1906 Earthquake:

Tattered treasure Saved from ruin once, the 1915 Palace of Fine Arts needs help from dome top to lagoon bottom

[ QUOTE ]
It's been 30 years since a $7 million program paid for a rebuilding of the Palace's original wood-and-plaster structures, using concrete and steel to give them new life. Until then, architect Bernard Maybeck's vision of Greco- Roman grandeur was gradually crumbling into ruin.

Now it is crumbling again.

Four years ago, a 30-pound chunk of concrete fell from the landmark's dome into its rotunda. Since then, conditions at Maybeck's contribution to the Panama Pacific International Exposition of 1915 have further degenerated, angering Marina District neighbors, disappointing tourists and alarming Maybeck devotees.

[/ QUOTE ]

-Bill

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went on a few field trips to The Palace back in my younger years. It's really beautiful...like most of San Francisco. One of the top things to swing by if anyone's ever in the SF Bay Area. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Darkcobra

Enlightened
Also the number one place to break the question!
I think during every single trip out there, I notice a man on his knees and a lady crying for joy.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif