StreamLIght Jr. Luxeon "Turbo"

McGizmo

Flashaholic
StreamLIght Jr. Luxeon \"Turbo\"

I got a SL Jr. delivered today and had it on the *table* in no time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

face-on.jpg

I had to remove material from the bright Al retaining nut as well as the 27 mm reflector to get the reflector down into focal range. Although the LD is not a bad beam with the reflector, this was to be a turbo so I took out the LD star and replaced it with a R2K star that I had. I chopped the rear end off a PR head that I had and bored and tapped it to go on the Jr.'s body. I couldn't cut the proper pitch (34 TPI or perhaps metric) but a 32 pitch worked because I ended up with very little thread engagement anyway. I was surprised to see that a cut down star was used instead of an emitter. While the LED was disconnected, I did a quick bench test and if I recall correctly, there was 320 mA at around 2 volts going to the LED and maybe 440 mA at 3.3 volts or so? Anyway, I suspect this is not a constant current driver but I leave that to the electronic experts.

sideways.jpg

At one meter, the stock light mesured 340 lux and the "turbo" measured 1230. This is kind of a cool light and longer than I am used to. Below it is compared to some other "long" lights:

long-lights.jpg

Although the subject line includes the term turbo, it's probably a cheap shot including the pedestrian E3t with its 11400 lux, 120 lumen "scalped" P91 but in grabbing the "long" lights, I culdn't resist. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

turbos.jpg

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: StreamLIght Jr. Luxeon \"Turbo\"

Wow! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif Really kewl, Don. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast

You do this to torture us, don't you?
C'mon, you can be honest now!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
These look cool, Don. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Mister T

Newly Enlightened

Excellent mod as usual, but I have the feeling that the Surefire E3e with turbohead /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif and over 11000 Lux /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif tries to draw all the attention. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast

What the heck is an E3e and where can I get one?!?!?!

And, nice mod. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jon

jdriller

Flashlight Enthusiast

Aren't we all glad that Don can't leave well enough alone? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic

StoneDOg,

I believe the only authorized dealer for the E3e is GlowBug. We are talking vaporware in its finest here! I was very fortunate, some time ago, to become the custodian of a prototype sample and in the spirit of /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif included it here. It just fit so well with these other long fellows! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif I should mention that I did take it upon myself to mod a P91 for use in the E3t as the E3e was not originally intended as a t. I believe the t was being considered for the E2e and MN03.

Back to the Jr., I took it for a walk last night and was real pleased with the performance of the reflector. I suspect that many will take it upon themselves to stick a so17xa in the stock head and possibly replace the LD star with a HD star. Unless you swap emitters, there could be a problem trying to put a Lux III star in there due to the thicker star PCB. I think the Jr. is a candidate for some of those good 1W stars that might still be kicking around. As I have asked befor and never hear an answer, I wonder if the truly "hot" 1W's are even being made now with the advent of the Lux III. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif Anybody get a R bin 1W of recent vintage????

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

Don, how did you cut down your r3k star? Every star I've tried to cut down ended up with it's pcb shorting to the star's aluminum..

Hey wait a minute, the L2, that's not out yet is it?

McGizmo

Flashaholic

IsaacHayes,

I just whacked the "spokes" off on a band saw and then cleaned the edges on a floopy wheel sanding wheel. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif I didn't consider that there was the potential for shorting the PCB! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif Ah, the bliss of ignorance....

The L2's have ben out for a while now. I got mine from Dan at TW.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

perhaps cutting only a little would work, as I do not know how far the copper traces of the pcb go out.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Hey,
I cut big time! Half way through the solder pads if not more! I guess I just walked through a mine field with luck on my side!

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

Don, that's a really nice mod. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

But you've got me pining for an E3E battery tube now! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

Dang you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Scott,

In the spirit of "smaller, brighter, better" we should petition SF to bring out the E3e tube! Perhaps we need to let them catch up on some of the other things though. Like the U2 and stock levels on allready existing line items. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Perhaps the new KL1 when it comes out could be offered on an E3e but called the L3????? It would be nice to see the buck/boost circuit of the KL1 exploited with a battery tube that could go for 9V of CR123's or 2xAA's! (We won't mention 2x 17500 Li-Ions ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif Not sure they would fit anyway. Hummm.....)

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey, if you wanted to do an E3 (not E3e), you could use a UBH, and do a similar mod that this_is_nascar does fot the E->P61 mod (I forget what he calls it)...which was developed by Don, of course... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

(Sorry to hijack your thread, Don! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast

McGizmo: Put a Lux V in it! and DD using two of my AA sized
Lithum ions at 3.6v 700mah each. (group buy linky)

I've already done it with my mag 2d. It lasts about 50 minutes!
With that turbo head of yours, it'll really make it a bright light!

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Should we consider thermal relief here??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

There is plenty room for a hunk of heat sink as well as a constant current driver. This light has all kinds of mod potential and certainly a couple Li-Ions could expand the possibilities. There is even room for low voltage shut down circuitry or even PCM's if one knew what they were doing! I certainly don't! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
Perhaps the new KL1 when it comes out could be offered on an E3e but called the L3????? It would be nice to see the buck/boost circuit of the KL1 exploited with a battery tube that could go for 9V of CR123's or 2xAA's! (We won't mention 2x 17500 Li-Ions ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif Not sure they would fit anyway. Hummm.....)

[/ QUOTE ]

Don,

physically 2x17500 would fit but the KL1 circuit would overdischarge LiIons, and especially 2 in a row, better don´t do this - the "accidential™" inclusion of Li-Ion overdischarge protection for bare LiIons PK implemented in the KL4 is unfortunately NOT present in the KL1.

Klaus

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Klaus,

"accidential™" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

Good point but I think I was thinking about a couple Pila's?? I believe they do have overdischarge protection, yes?

Heck, there is certainly room in the battery tube of this JR for a side mounted red "Warning Will Robinson" LED and other electronic stuff if you went with a couple 14500's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif If you went with a sandwich, or canwich, I wonder how many CR2's you could stick in the battery tube of the JR. Well I leave it to others to exploit this fellow!

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:

Good point but I think I was thinking about a couple Pila's?? I believe they do have overdischarge protection, yes?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes Sir,

I was just commenting on 17500 as this number typically is used for bare LiIons of 17mm dia and 500mm length, the 150S type PILAs are around that size too, just slightly longer due to the added protection circuitry.

Klaus