Mag-Lite "Donut"

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
Mag-Lite \"Donut\"

Anyone know how to get rid of the weird donut looking flood beam /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif the Mag has?

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Mag-Lite \"Donut\"

Replace the Lens

Alternatively, get a orange peel aluminium reflector or splutter the original reflector yourself.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't think replacing the lens won't help the beam shape much; but the sputtered reflector will. It won't turn it into a Surefire quality beam, but it will clean up alot of the artifacts. Replacing the lens will get you around 9% more output/throw.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm sure there's a "how-to" for sputtering in the archives, but I can't seem to find it. Could someone post a link or a how-to. Thanks.

BTW I caught a post here about Fellowes "Writeright" PDA screen overlay film. It works surprisingly well to clean up the Mag beams. Seems to cut output slightly, but not that much. I got mine at Office Max. Like 12 sheets for $9.95. Be sure and get the type for a mono (not color) display because of the texture. The pack I got is for a Zire.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*

The Acrylite lenses work great at smoothing out the beam and have less light loss than Writeright.

Here's a link to a thread with a brief discription of how to sputter a reflector. For more information do a search using "sputter" with Darkzero for a user name, newer than 1 year.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

Lenses will not do much for defocusing a M*g.

But they make the tight and slightly less tight beams WONDERFUL!

Acrylite or the Writeright for a Palm Zire will do nicely!

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the links. Sputtering doesn't seem too difficult. I'm going to give it a try.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*

I read that one of the guys practiced sputtering on the inside of plastic cups. That seems like a good idea to me.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ops... I mean, replace the lens with a LDF version from flashlightlens.

illumiGeek

Enlightened

Actually, non of this will get rid of the doughnut in flood mode. The above suggestions will smooth out and improve the spot beam, but you will still have a dark void in the flood beam. However, it won't be as objectionable since the increased spill with partially fill in the void.

You can get a nice flood beam from the Mag, but it pretty much becomes a flood light since the changes needed ruin its ability to focus to a fine spot.

For a smooth(er) flood beam you can replace the lamp with a frosted lamp (very nice beam with a bright central peak that still provides a bit of throw). If you carry a clear lamp in the tail you can switch between spot and flood.

You can rub the inside of the stock plastic lens with fine sandpaper or steel wool (this is also an easily reversable option).

You can spray the reflector with matte white paint. Matte silver will also work for a bit brighter, but not quite as even beam.

Aloha, Tim

Neg2LED

Flashlight Enthusiast

cover the lens with Scotch Satin tape on one side and sputter the reflector.

neg

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast

Use fine sand paper carefully to defrost bulb.
It works on spot and flood beam. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

StEaLtH_

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
fivemega said:
Use fine sand paper carefully to defrost bulb.
It works on spot and flood beam. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I just tried that with my 6D, and it works great! Thanks!
You do lose a lot of output though, but nice smooth beam now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif