the best beetwen skorpion and 6p?

davidefromitaly

Enlightened
i think the better was the 6p before i see the "flashlightrewiews" chart

but on this chart the 6p have 52 with the p60 and 70 with the p61 lamp

the skorpion have 58 but thaks to the focusable beam it can throw at 70 meters while the 6p at 63 meters with both lamps

i think that with the p61 lamp the performance would be better

so why i must buy a 6p when the skorpion is much less expensive and have a spare bulb?

Size15's

Flashaholic
You must not buy anything. If you do not want to get a SureFire; the Pelican M6 (PM6) is better choice than the Scorpion and should be considered as well.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Judging a light should not be judged by how far it can throw. Factors like how much flood you get should be taken into consideration. Surefire uses textured reflectors so that you get a smooth round beam and it is great for lighting up an area.

Scorpion is bright for what it is but when focused to a narrow beam for throw you won't get as much flood light as a Surefire. When focused to flood mode you get an irritating shadow in the centre of the beam.

Surefire lights are pre-focused in the factory to ensure that you get a decent throw and flood.

Talk about lamp, generally Surefire lamps are longer lasting than any bulb that I know. Ever since playing with my Surefires 2 years ago I have yet to change any bulb but with exception of the E2e's MN03 which I spoilt myself.

I once owned a Scorpion, after 4 or 5 battery changes the bulb is black. I sold the light to someone else and he told me a month later that both bulbs are blown.

Logically, would you rather have 2 bulbs that blow easily or would you have 1 bulb that lasts a long time?

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
scorpion bulbs are only 4 bucks I think surefire bulbs are a lot more than that.
I have a scorpion that has had at least 5 battery changes.
my bulb is still clear.
and the scorpion carry's a spare in the light surefires dont
surefires lamps blow early just like other lamp assemblys
scorpions have a textured reflector and they go from spot to flood.
I think the scorpion is a better light for the money.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
The Scorp and the Pelican were similarly priced, and the SF considerably more. All three are very nice incans, with the older Pelican focusable and the Scorp, too. However, the SF comes with a nice round beam, no need to focus (I think same on newer PM6 lamp assemblies).

I like the Scorp for its rubbery coating, easy to grip and protected switch in the bottom. When focused, the beam is as nice as the SF, but unfocused, it has horrible shadows. I keep it in my desk at work for general use. It has a nice small profile.

The Surefire is better made in terms of fit and finish, and I really like the black aluminum body. Easier to use for me, with tailcap momentary and twistie on, than either the Scorp or PM6. However, those lamps are expensive, easily four times the cost of a Scorpion bulb. That said, I have not replaced either after several battery changes, but have the backup lamps waiting.

I found the PM6 lacking in the fit and finish department, and the threads were not as smooth as the SF, but it's quite a bit more affordable, and a competent lite as well.

You won't go wrong with either,
daloosh

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
markdi said:
surefires lamps blow early just like other lamp assemblys

[/ QUOTE ]
Is that an experience you had owning an SF? I hope you had experienced it yourself before making that statement. My experience with SF lamps are more than very good. I am not starting an argument but I hope your statement is not based on hearsay as it could be very misleading to others.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Scorpion is a great flashlight for it's price.
I have changed batteries several times but never changed bulb. Spare bulb is still untouched.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
To those who don't know, the latest version of Scorpion comes with textured reflector so you would still get a decent flood if you focus the reflector for flood usage, of course too much and you would still get a shadow in the beam but it is better than not having. Sad part is it doesn't throw as well as the older smooth reflector which was the one I bought.

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not own a surefire but I have read many many posts here on cpf about bulb life on lots of lights and many posts about surefire bulbs expiring early. From what I have read they are no more reliable than scorp bulbs but
at 4 bucks a bulb and a in flashlight spare you may not get as many scorpion owners complaining about early bulb failure.

they use the same technology a hot glowing wire.

to me a incandescent metal surefire is not worth the extra cost over a streamlight.
especially with 15 dollar bulbs -- ouch.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I believe the issue is not bulbs failing early (which indeed happens with any bulb) but the lifespan of the bulbs that don't fail early.

I figure that if your "15 dollar bulb" fails after 5 minutes you are sure going to be more pissed off and therefore post about it on CPF then if your "$4" bulb fails.
At $4 the Scorpion bulb is built to cost - not built to last.
I see that SureFire have a higher expectation of performance compared to other brands. This is one of the reasons why they are called to account for every little thing that happens that does not meet these expectations.

If your SureFire bulb does not fail in the first 5 minutes or 1st battery change, it is highly likely to last 25-35 hours which very different to the majority of Scorpion bulbs that have a rate lifespan of about 7 hours and been reported to expire sooner than that.

The Scorpion bulbs do not use the same technology. SureFire uses premium high pressure gas mixes and other materials. They are designed for stability, durability and reliability. Operators depend on SureFires 24 hours a day all around the world and have done so for decades.

How many Scorpions do you see mounted on firearms?
Pelican have more PM6's mounted on firearms then Streamlight have Scorpions.

Compare the PM6 to the 6P. I do not consider the Scorpion along with the Brinkmann LX and MaxFire and all the other ~$20 flashlights to be in the same league in terms of durability and performance.

Al

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd rather have the SF 6P.

Maybe I'm being simplistic and although I agree some lights have a much higher bang for the buck, I believe you get what you pay for.

I've never been a fan of the SL Scorpion. Personally, unless I needed a tactical light, I'd go for the SL Twin-Task 2L.

GregR

P.S. I now own or have owned eleven Surefire lights, the first was a 6P purchased about 1991. In all that time, other than one defective lamp pop in the first five minutes, I have NEVER had to replace a SF lamp for any reason. I use my a couple of my Surefires daily, one or two others weekly, and another few on a monthly basis.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not sure if somebody here has done a beam shot comparison but if budget is a constrain then go for the Streamlight. Although I am a Surefire guy but I still think Streamlight is quite a respectable brand. I would rank Surefire, Streamlight, and Pelican as among the best flashlight makers known to me.

I have tried the Pelican M6 Lithium suggested by Al or size15s and I am impressed by it's beam throw too. Just that the beam is not as smooth as a Surefire's. Still cheaper nevertheless.

If you like, I would suggest you look at Streamlight Strion. I don't own one but what I do know is that it is rechargeable and many have claimed that it's beam is better than the Scorpion's.