Best (relatively) small IR flashlight?

YeeDude

Newly Enlightened
Which handheld IR flashlight will have the most beam "reach?"

My first choice would be the SureFire M1; any others I should consider?

For closer in use which of the following should I consider - if at all:<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Pelican L1
<LI>ARC-LIGHT 1-AAA LED
<LI>Photon II
<LI>ASP Stealthlite[/list]

Thanks.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The SureFire M1 is about a hundred Dollars.

An Infra-Red Beam Filter is almost as expensive. But, you get dual use with your flashlight, and I believe the FM13 can be used with the 9AN as well as the M3, and the FM63 can be used with the 8AX as well as the M2. The FM23 fits the M3T, M4 and M6.

Obviously, these FM BeamFilters also fit the WeaponLight equivelants.

Maybe the M3 with FM13 offers a good balance between options and output for it's size?

The beam with the most reach would surely be that from the M6 with FM23 IR Filter... It is small when compared to search and spotlights that could produce anything like the same beam quality.

The UltraStinger can not compete with the M6, but if the UltraS has an IR filter, it might be worth testing against some SureFires?

Maybe you are looking for smaller lights though?

What is your application?

Al

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
botach has the m2 for $112,but has a sale on everything of 15%.$96 bucks.cheap.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I don't know if the M2 with FM63 will produce a beam with more reach then an M1 (?)

The SureFire Millennium Series are certainly formidable illumination tools, and using an FMx3 IR Filter with these lights should be given serious consideration.

Anyone know of a review of IR light sources?

Al

Size15's

Flashaholic
Your friendly Moderator asks that you please keep on topic.
Our views on Dealers can be shared in another thread.

Thank you.

Al

YeeDude

Newly Enlightened
Well, in terms of application, the IR light would be used for illuminating out to a distance of maybe 100 yards for NVD observation.

I have concentrated mainly on smaller lights because the range that I want doesn't seem to warrant investing in a bigger light or filtering a large white light unit.

I have not considered getting an IR filter for my SureFires because I've always heard that they're an inefficient means to an end; that blocking out 95%+ of the output of a SureFire lamp yields IR output that a dedicated IR lamp can produce easily with less power and in a smaller package.

For example, an E1 with IR filter versus an M1. Even if we were to assume equal IR output between the two, the M1 has a significantly longer runtime. Perhaps what I've heard and read is incorrect?

In any case, I don't have an M3, but have considered getting one because it has cross-platform compatibility with my M500A. Maybe if I buy an M3 I'll simply buy the FM13...

I do have an 8NX that I use from time to time and would consider getting an F69 IR filter for it if I hear definitively that its worthwhile to buy instead of an M1.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've heard the same thing about using the IR filters on regular lights, that their not nearly as efficient as using a dedicated IR light. One thing I have ask though. what generation are your NODS? If Gen. 3, then an M2 with filter will easliy let you reach out to 100 yards on a fairly dim night. If Gen 2 then you'll need a more powerful IR source, and if Gen 1, you'll need a much more powerful light source.
With a set of Gen 2 or 3, the SurFire IR light will work great for you. I'm not sure about what kind of distance you'll get with a pair of Gen 1 NODS though, as I've never used one.