Non expert opinion - Attitude, Impact, Long Life, etc

Spectrum

Newly Enlightened
I have recently (since about Christmas) contracted LED madness. Since then, I have purchased two Brinkmann Long Lifes - $11.56, one Dorcey LED light - $8, and an Energizer folding lantern -$8 from Wal Mart, a Princeton Tec Impact -$30, and an Attitude - $20 from Sports Authority, and three Princeton Tec Pusar keychain lights.
I also looked at the CMG Infinity, but did not buy. Here is my opinion, after a few weeks of using these products:

Attitude – my favorite:
The most overlooked by reviewers, and the most useful of this group. Small and bright, It easily fits in a pants pocket, briefcase, or computer case. Uses cheap and available AAA batteries, and has good battery life. I haven't done any tests, but I am on the original batteries after a month and a half of using the Attitude for several minutes at every opportunity – walking the dog at night, searching through closets, looking in the freezer, etc. Provides a bright uniform area light for looking at anything from a few inches away up to about ten feet. Highlights reflective objects like tree trunks against a dark background 40-50 feet away, so you can see where you are going. I don't need a waterproof diving light, so I wish it had a switch instead of twist action.

Impact – biggest disappointment:
I realize that the beam is somewhat brighter than the Brinkmann Long Life, but I find the utility of the Impact to be exactly the same or even less. The spot focus makes it less handy for seeing where you are going, or finding something in the dark, and yet it is still too dim to really see out to the edge of your yard, or up into a tree at night. For it's size, weight, cost, and (4AA) battery requirement, I wish they had made it a larger version of the Attitude instead, with 4 or 6 LEDs, and a diffuse rather than spot beam. If I had to find my way down a stairwell in total darkness, I would choose an Attitude over an Impact any day.

Brinkmann Long Life – Good value, cheap, and useful:
This is a great light to keep on the bedside table, or in the den to find the remote or see whatever you want to see without turning on the room light. The momentary switch on the end comes in very handy for this type of use, instead of having to twist the head to turn it on and off. It is also cheap, and only requires two AA batteries. I wish Brinkmann had made the Long Life much smaller, instead of re-using the case from another incandescent unit, which prevents it from being a pocket light. Still, it can replace all those standard flashlights around the house.

Dorcy – cheap, but not particularly good for anything:
You can look right into the beam, so you know it is not very bright. It is big, and uses 4 AAs. The advertised battery life is long, but who cares -- if it is not the light you would reach for when you need one?

Future targets: I keep being tempted to buy a white Infinity, for keeping in my computer bag on trips, reading on the airplane when the lights are out, etc. I tried one at an Army surplus store, and it was really, really, dim. I tried to find a spot under a shelf or something so that I could see the beam, but no place was dark enough. I took out the battery and re-inserted it, and this time it wouldn't even turn on. Maybe it was defective.

I think I would like a Lightwave 3000 or 4000. Any feedback or suggestions based on my comments? Any Impact fans want to fight? Did I just get a bad one?

TrevorNasko

Flashlight Enthusiast
Atlanta, GA>> The Flashlight that was broken shall
i'm sorry to hear you have the illness. there is no cure
grin.gif
read up on my impact upgrade its a big improvement
cool.gif

snake

Enlightened
Hi ,
I like my attitude too, when I choose I compare it with Impact. Impact is heavier coz 4AA compare with 4AAA as well the size of attitude is even smaller (shorter) then a AA Mag. about the beam I feel impact is brighter then attitude in longer distance may be I just compare it in the shop. Now for a overnight camping I can only carry an attitude and a UKE 2L save lots of weight and space!!

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
HEY! That was a well thought out and informative review you got there! FINALLY, someone did a direct comparison of the Impact and Attitude. There is just too much marketing hype behind the Impact, that makes it SEEM better, when in reality it is just a single LED torch.

Again...nice review. Now save your money for the SF LED lights!!!
grin.gif
grin.gif

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Spectrum:
Impact – biggest disappointment:...
For it's size, weight, cost, and (4AA) battery requirement, I wish they had made it a larger version of the Attitude instead, with 4 or 6 LEDs, and a diffuse rather than spot beam....
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Honestly - I don't know what gets into these designers heads!!!

I could never figure out why PT put 3 leds in a Rage, and only 1 in a Tec 40. Good company, but what were they smokin'?

The reflector on the Rage is perfect for harnessing a single LED, and the beam would still be a little diffuse. Put a red LED in the 2 AAA version like the UK 2AAA has as an option. The Tec 40 can easily handle several LEDs. The only thing I can think of is if you wanted an Impact as a really long lasting survival light. But then why not use a Tec 20 and stick extra batteries in your pocket? What is the point in having those extra batteries in the light if this is what you're after? So they can torque your wrist off instead of sitting comfortably in your pocket or backpack? HUMMM?

Sorry. I just got a Matrix headlamp for my Tec 20, and it's just not bright enough 'cause they screwed this one up too. They decided to fix the output low for extra runtime. ARRGGGGG!!! They just don't get it!!! Now I gotta make my own bulbs.

Empath

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Guy Guyer:
I just got a Matrix headlamp for my Tec 20, and it's just not bright enough 'cause they screwed this one up too. They decided to fix the output low for extra runtime. ARRGGGGG!!! They just don't get it!!! Now I gotta make my own bulbs.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Guy,
Please consider a concept. The man relying on a crutch, that unknown to himself is able to walk, will never walk as long as he uses his crutch. That man able to see in the ambient lights of night will never know he can see as long as he blinds his eyes to that ability through overuse of artificial light.

Most outdoor and adventure uses of headlamps of the "Matrix" type require little light. Anything greater than the minimum amount of light needed restricts your sight to only that reached by your light. The proper amount of light lets you see beyond the range of your light.
smile.gif

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Empath,

I appreciate your views. With regard to night vision, I was planning on swapping the whites with some greens, but runtime would still be reduced over the "less light" option.

In any case, when I took the light out for a walk earlier, there were some patches of ice in the nearby golf course I walk through. I almost wound up on my a$$ because these patches weren't illuminated well enough by the Matrix. Fortunately, I had my Tec 40 with overdriven 3 cell bulb, and that illuminated them more than plenty.

I guess I hadn't considered the outdoor (especially caving) application of the Matrix. I know when it's really dark (and your eyes are adjusted), even a Krill looks like a torch (non UK people will know what I mean). I'm not saying it's a bad module, just that it's not usually that dark for most people, and you need more light under such circumstances.

I really bought the Matrix headlamp to try it out first before ordering the module alone off the web. It did come with a headlamp, and I suppose the output is suitable for that. They do market the module for the Tec 20, though. Perhaps they should offer a cranked up one for the Tec 20, as that is what is more likely to be needed in that flashlight.

I suppose it all depends on your specific applications.

Spectrum

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by Aragorn:
<<read up on my impact upgrade its a big improvement>>

Very interesting! Please point me in the right direction.

Spectrum

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by LEDagent:
<<That was a well thought out and informative review you got there!>>

Thanks. I wish someone would do a battery rundown test on the Attitude. I put in fresh batteries yesterday. I had not noticed any deterioration, but thought maybe I had become accustomed to a gradually dimmer output. Afterward, I could not notice any difference with the brand new batteries, so ..

Spectrum

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Aragorn:
what! no arc! trash the infinity idea and get an arc aaa<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am going to order two Arc AAA's tomorrow.
Yesterday, I bought two new Eddie Bauer keychain LEDs for $12.99 ea from Target, but I am returning them today. They were pretty interesting -- brighter than @!*, small, and had a miniature on/off switch that could be momentary, or constant on. The package said "200 hours of light from included alkaline batteries". Back home, I found some posts indicating that the battery curve is about what you would expect: Full brightness for a few minutes, half brightness after 4 hours, then rapid decline to 3-5% for the remainder of the 200 hours. Still, they were metal, well made, had 3 repaceable LR44/AG13 batteries, and an interesting reflector or amplification setup that was described as patented. Just no regulation circuit.

Now I see why the arc is so popular. None of these small lights can offer brightness and extended runtime in the same package. The button cells or AAAs just don't have enough capacity. At least the arc gives constant brightness for 5-6 hours, and uses batteries that can be found at any drugstore, convenience store, or service station. I'm sold. I am getting one for myself, and one for my father-in-law, who has a degenerative vision problem, and now carries a solitaire in his shirt pocket.

funk

Enlightened
When questioning what PT engineers were thinking about - as pointed out - you need to consider the application. These lights were designed for Camping, backpacking etc. In this application the longest period w/ the most usable light is what most backpackers want.

The single LED in the Impact is necessary in order for the LENS to funtion........ the 4 batteries are to ensure a brightness over the longer period of time than 2 AA. I don't think that is difficult to understand. The Rage reflector can not come close to doing what the Impact lens does!

I am always amazed in this forum by the discussions regarding LED's. No matter how bright or how many LEDs - the applications are exactly the same - basic uses/simple tasks. The ARC is of average construction and allows you no more function that a Photon or an Attitude or Trek or whatever..... I just don't get it?

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I criticized PT engineers I didn't mean to imply they were stupid - just not in touch with what most LED enthusiasts want.

I don't think I'm alone on this forum in wanting to see the most amount of LED light from the smallest package. Purposely dimming an LED light to increase runtime may be desirable for camping, but I don't think that's what the general market would like.

Many people besides campers, etc. purchase their lights because they're well wade, inexpensive, and reliable, and I buy them myself for these reasons. The addition of a useful level of LED light to their products would be nice to see (that is currently true only of the Attitude). If you want long lasting survival type light, you can always pack extra batteries instead of keeping them needlessly in your hand, as I pointed out. Battery changes are not hard in their lights, and can be done in total darkness, and with gloves on. Yet another reason I like their lights.

I don't object to the existence of the Impact or the Matrix module, since they apparently fill specific needs. I just think they should consider the rest of us and give us a Tec 20 with some good LED light, and a Tec 40 with even more. This is EXACTLY what I don't think they see!!!

With regard to the Arc, consider that it's small, bright, waterproof, and uses commonly available and inexpensive batteries.

Tesla

Enlightened
As an owner of both the Attitude & Impact, I'll second the opinion that the Impact is disappointing, given its cost. I have no problem with the focused singe-led concept, but the Brinkmann Long-Life is a better execution of the concept (except for the visible wires). I would have preferred the package to have been smaller, like the Attitude. One thing to consider is that CPF buyers are NOT Princeton Tec's target audience...backpackers & even divers are a large part of their sales. Backpacking does not necessarily call for a "brighter than the sun" light, but the Impact is really a bigger package than many need & not all that bright anyway...might as well have the benefit of small size.

L.E.D.

Enlightened
The ARC is of average construction and allows you no more function that a Photon or an Attitude or Trek or whatever..... I just don't get it?

Funk, try running over the lights you mentioned and an arcAAA with a car. then compare them. The Arc is NOT of average construction!! (average does not include a chemkoted interior, aluminum, a voltage regulator) oh yea, and the photon is obviously much smaller, but then try running it and the Arc for 4 hours then comparing brightness......
smile.gif
*Battery price*!!
The Attitude and the trek.........well, the advantages of the Arc over those is obvious.

funk

Enlightened
I think that PT would readily admit that they do not produce lights for the general public - look at the retail stores that you can buy PT most readily - they are all outdoor stores and really, that market is not a handheld market. In my parents store - they can not sell large volume in handhleds, only headlamps. This is the market for PT right now. The LED's are changing this perception, and opening a hand held sales for these retailers. The biggest advantage is not having to carry extra weight - ie batteries. It is all about light weight.

I have refrained from commenting on the ARC b/c of the forums love for it, but I really don't like this light. The size and is good, but the feel is weak. I don't really want to persue my personal opinion of the lamp, because all lights are loved..... but I would challenge COLDLIGHT to actually run the lights over with a car - I know that the PT lights will stand up, as I have seen them dropped from a plane at 1500 ft and found them only because the light was still on! (I didn't jump, I was on the ground). Just consider the size of the lights and amount of surface area that will be touched ny the tires..... I will wait for pictures.

The lights have different advantages over one another, but really, the function/task/use remains the same.....

L.E.D.

Enlightened
hmmmmmm.......what did the lights land on, sand!!? c'mon, the ARC would WASTE those lights at a durability test!!!! pretty obviously! I've got Pt impact, attitude, and a rage, and I really don't think that they would survive being ran over by a Ford Excursion (yes on concrete, funk!), but the Arc sure would. Yea, sure, they're made of durable xenoy plastic or whatever, but I'm pretty damn sure that it wouldn't survive getting ran over!

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think if you ran over a PT AA light, it might snap at the point where the bezel joins the handle. Running over it might not be the most fair test because the Arc is flatter and wouldn't experience a torque on the bezel.

I strongly suspect a PT AAA light wouldn't survive worth squat. Those are of much cheaper construction. I use them, but I can't take them seriously as emergency/survival lights.

I once sanded down the lens of a Tec 40 to make it open at this point (don't ask why). I took almost 2 hours with #40 sandpaper, and brief breaks. I was expecting it to take only a few minutes.