U2 proto

astrogrub

Newly Enlightened
I had a brief look at one of them today....Its interesting, Kinda like an adjustable and slightly lighter/smaller L5. I would've prefered the "ring" to detent but as it was, it seemed to have enough "friction" or whatever to hold a setting.

I would also doubt that a detent noise would cause anyone problems since it would seem, even turning the thing on is more likely to get noticed even at the lowest level.

It also seemed to kinda "wink" off between settings but not sure that was what I was seeing.

All in all it would appear to be a nice light to have.

mbt25

Newly Enlightened
When is the U2 road show coming near me? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
So...you rotate the ring for selected brightness, but there's no detent to tell you when that specific level is reached?

--dan

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doesnt seem like a great mechanism... More of a "spin the ring and see what brightness level you end up with" I guess Ill have to see it when it comes out. It is SF after all, Im sure they put a lot of thought into it.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Huh...That's weird. Infinite settings, but with no reference point...

I'd have to see one "up close."

--dan

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I worry this might just be another hype that is falling down the drain. No reference point at all, what a let down. I was much awaiting the U2 as I am a Surefire fan.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I got to check out one of these last night, here at my home, in familiar settings where I have "walked" with other lights and I was able to compare its output against a couple other lights. I would not term this light a "wow" light. Like its physical profile that is devoid of any sharp or hard lines or edges to be felt in hand, its merits are understated upon immediate inspection but will likely grow with use and awareness. I can't and won't attempt to evaluate this light in the foreign (to me) language of tactical.

In theory, I would imediately assume the need for indexed and tactile stations corresponding to the various levels. In parctice, there are no tactile signals given for the level sellected but but the visual information regarding the level and its "appropriatness" to the task at hand are immediate and obvious. Prior to light, a preselection of level will be subject to some error because you can't "count". However, due to the level of designed resistance in the rotation of the sellecting collar as well as its limit of rotation, you can be assured of either bringing light on at the last level of selection or at a lower or higher level by rotating the collar in the appropriate direction, prior to lighting.

What am I trying to say. How about that this light simply works and it works simply. There are six different levels of output available and they are very obvious, visually, when using the light and you can quickly, with no distraction from additional tactile input, select the level you deem best for the moment by viewing the return of light sent out and adjusting accordingly. You really don't need a "click" to see what is happening! In fact, in not needing to pay attention to the number of existance of clicks might free the mind to concentrate more clearly on the visual information resulting from the illumination tool./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif If the select collar had detents or numbers or even a back lit display with luminous output of the current postion, many of us would be happier with the implied as well as stated control we would have over the light output. In most cases, this control or knowledge would be secondary the light performing its *real* task.

I guess my take is that this light is a very depedable and viable illumination tool with varible output for those needing and using it as such. It might fall short on expectations for those of us more interested in the beam itself than what the beam is illuminating.

The U2 is very comfortable in the hand and in no time, you find yourself capable of using it effectively with a mastery of its function. I think it is a real "honest" and understated tool that does the best job of utilizing a 5W LED and its potential of any light I have seen to date. From the effective distance and and range known with the KL5, this light trades lumens for run time and night vision preservation as it is backed off in output for illumination of targets closer at hand.

A couple parting comments;

As has been stated before, the U2 is easily a host for the fat 18+mm diameter Li-Ion cells. They are significantly looser in the tube than the SF123's in a L1 or A2 tube. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif I also think the U2's front *busness end* is going to be a fun part for modders to work with! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My only disappointment was that the U2 left with my friend and was not left behind! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif Now it's back to /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
So how did the U2's output compare? You said it was not a "wow" light. Is the output on high similar to the L5? L6 maybe?

Reno

Enlightened
The U2 continues to lose it's appeal against all the dimmable options we CPF'ers see every day (Arc4, Mc2s, VIP, Lionheart).

Looks like SF's notoriously long development cycle is gonna cost them....

McGizmo

Flashaholic
On high, it is esentially a L5; same reflector and likely similar output current. IMHO, the 5W LED is either hosted in a large reflector like the Mags or PhotonKing I for an effective tightly focused beam or it is used in smaller reflectors for a closer "wall" of light. The U2 allows 6 sizes of "walls" to be provided as needs dictate. There are three changes to the U2 that I viewed that I personally would want, I believe. 1) A tactile index because I like the mechanical signal,even if it isn't really necessary. 2) A lower level of lowest than I saw, simply because I think there is more dynamic range available in this system than is currently being exploited. 3) I would prefer a tail standing and guarded tail cap and this is a personal preference not without its disadvantages over the current offering.

Although not a "wow" light, the U2 is a very strong "Hummmmmmm.......... yeah........" light! What it lacks in wow, it more than makes up in pure utility and well attended attention to detail, design and service. In use as well as carry, I believe the U2 will provide the user with a non demanding and dependable solution. The clip is well engineered and utilitarian. It felt to me like you could grab the U2 in any orientation and not "feel" a need to reposition it for better comfort or access to its controls. With a pocket clip attached, this is no small ergonomic feat, IMHO, but then I make no claims to being an expert on ergonomics or usability inducies. I leave that to others. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

And while I am still in search of my tongue, The U2 I got to test drive had a very nice and white and bright light output with only a suggestion of a "donut", ergo, all U2's will be the same in this regard! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif I forgot to ask if the driver is based on PWM but since I didn't see any color shift in the levels, I will make that assumption until advised to the contrary.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Reno said:
The U2 continues to lose it's appeal against all the dimmable options we CPF'ers see every day (Arc4, Mc2s, VIP, Lionheart).

Looks like SF's notoriously long development cycle is gonna cost them....

[/ QUOTE ]

Well from my point of reference, for momentary illumination, I believe two levels of output are more than adequate. For constant on illumination, I see value to additional levels and a more refined selection of output; certainly when the target is not so distant as to require maximum output. In such a condition, I can't imagine a more effective tool, currently in existance, than the U2.

I think it is very significant to keep in mind that the U2 is a host to a 5W LED and this light should be considered for what it does with its various levels of flux and NOT in terms of its various levels of lux. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

I suspect that I am not communicating well here but in parting, let me say that I think the U2 is too well refined in its target of design goals to rate a "wow". It may well be too simple and practical to stand out in the eyes of us flashaholics. I could see my wife or brother selecting the U2 from a set of lights I might offer them because they just want a flashlight that will provide illumination in a range of landscapes and applications and the whoopie sh*t that some of my other lights provide mean nothing to them. If you contrast the ergonomics, luminous output and ease or intuitive access of light of the U2 with the other examples cited above, although from a real mixed basket of fruit, the U2 might well be the ultimate selection made. Perhaps it is not your choice or mine but I bet it will be the choice of many others. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif In real terms and significant distinctions, the U2 currently stands alone.

Flashdark

Enlightened
What McGizmo said!

This light will replace the L1-WH, L2, L4, KL1 on whatever, KL4 on whatever, L5, and probably equal the E2e/MN03 on throw. All of this in a light slightly smaller than an M2. What's not to like if you are looking for a single, multi-function utility light? It will be interesting to see what an FM-64 or FM-65 will do to the beam shape and night navigation aspects of this light. I have one on order from Dan at Tactical Warehouse and can't wait to get my hands on it. Thanks to the recommendations of kind CPFers, I have finally found the answer to night navigation in the L1-RD/F04 combination, so I am anxious to replace my dual EDC utility combination with just ONE light, and this looks like the one. Can't wait for U3 @ 200L!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:The U2 I got to test drive had a very nice and white and bright light output with only a suggestion of a "donut", ergo, all U2's will be the same in this regard! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The proto I saw has donut beam too but I was assured that it won't be there on production product.

Alan

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont really think you can say that it'll replace the L1, L2, L4 and E2e. How can a light the size of an M2/L5 replace an E-series light? It may have similar outputs, but that is not the only factor. In terms of usefulness, size, weight, and form-factor are also heavily considered. I have the L4 and L5, and although their outputs are similar, I use and carry the L4 quite a bit more due to it's size.

rookie

Enlightened
Don, to put it simply, do you LIKE the light and if so or not, would you recommend it people at CPF? Would you say that the $270 price tag is worth it or not? Humm, should we wait til you "modify" this light and get it then...hint hint.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
For reasons I am not yet ready to de here (mainly 'cause I - uh - don't know yet?), I will acquire a U2 as soon as possible.

As soon as possible.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
rookie,

Do I like this light? Simple answer: Yes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

It was with great restraint that I didn't embarass myself by begging that the light stay in my care! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Would I recommend it to CPFer's? Without a doubt if it suits their needs as a specific or general choice of an illumination tool. I will not presume to make that call for anyone. Is the price of $270 worth it? Well considering what I have sold some of my builds for and looking at the price of SF's other lights, the answer to that question is also yes in general and unanswerable by me in regards to the particular utility afforded the individual from the purchase of the U2.

Will I personally buy one? No. I don't think one will be enough and I admit to being hopelessly and blissfully lost in this LED flashlight business! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Al makes a good point about the bezel down clip and I tried this light on my belt and liked how it hung as well as its access. As soon as time permits, I plan to make myself a guarded tail cap with tab mount and 1/4x20 thread for one of these so I will be ready for it when I get one! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif It will not be a trivial part to make but the results will be satisfying for me! It will remain a clickie, of course. I get your hint but choose not to respond at present. I hope someone else gets *my* hint and I fully expect him to ignore my hint as well! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif