Glo Toob FX or Krill Extreme 180 degree??????????

gatesy3

Newly Enlightened
Being a bit of a light freak --I like t have all sorts of light emitting objects, have afew light sticks that you use once but I have read about these Krill lamps and Glo Toobs. The Glo-Toobs seem to be quite bright and virtually indestructible, the Krill a bit longer and possibly brighter, are there any afficianados out there on this sublect please???

Thanks

Gatesy3

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
i've a bit of experience with things that glow--especially glowsticks.

Re: Krill -well constructed, but even the Extreme 180° has relatively dim output-(IMO) suitable as marker only. Also the 2500hr. El panel life should call for at least a 6 month warranty instead of the chintzy 3 month one they offer now. I has serious reliability problems with all three of them -that I had 2 years ago. For the money, I expect more.

Re: Glo-toob-much better brightness, but uses a 12v. alkaline (one use) that might be hard to find in certain areas. Also the Glo-toob is $30. or so.

For the most serious use I recommend the Canadian made Lazerstik--$12.U.S. and runs on cheap button cells for 20 hours.
Rugged construction and waterproof.

My other Favorite is the Korean made Gilla sticks that allows for battery replacement (3 X 357/LR44/76).
Those batteries are as cheap as 10 cents each, on the internet. You can also use the NiMH H40 rechargeable buttons to power the Stick. For waterproof use, just put the stick in a heavy duty clear freezer Ziploc bag. There was a group buy on these sticks awhile back and a few of them should still be available to buy.

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a light called a "Sauce Lightwand" (see cksauce.com) and it is a 3 LED color changing glow stick about the size of a large fountain pen (about half of which is the glow part). To dark adapted eyes, it's fairly bright. It's quite handy to power because it runs on a regular AA battery. However, annoyingly, you need a little philips head screwdriver to get the door off the battery compartment. It would be quite a great tent light if you could easily select one of the steady on color modes, however it forces you to search through several flashing color changing modes to get to the steady-on one you want. It will shut itself on in about 10 or 15 minutes, but I think you can disable this feature so that it remains on indefinitely. I bought mine at REI Co-op.