Question for Arc 4+ Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an Arc 4+ First. I have screwed and unscrewed the tailcap so many times that I think I've damaged the little brass flat switch such that it no longer clicks on and off. Now I just have to barely touch it and it goes on. Maybe I twisted the tailcap down too hard and smooshed the switch too much, I don't know. This problem is obviously not acceptable, as it goes on and off with the lightest touch now (and no click at all). I spoke with Peter and he said it sounded to him like perhaps I'd have to send it in to Arc to have them check it out. While I'm OK doing that, I'd much prefer to either fix the switch on my own or buy another switch. Has anyone else had a problem like what I'm describing and how have you fixed it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

ledy

Newly Enlightened
I only open the tailcap about 20 times but I notice that the gold is no longer there (where the flat disc touches the bezel). Since the travel distance for clicking is just so small, I imagine that if that disc is a little thiner (only on the edge), you would be able to screw the tailcap closer => push the battery a little forward and therefore the switch on the head. Does it help if you don't screw the tailcap as tight?

simbad

Enlightened
Hi Troy, I have a first also and since I got it never made any audible click but the button is not that "light touch", Ive opened the tailcap a couple of times because Ive seen like a "change" of the pressure needed to turn it on.
Some people related in other threads about the plunger going off its place, I am not helping you alot, ask Peter again or CY for a quick help.
Cheers

kev1-1

Enlightened
I have a first as well, and again mine has never felt/sounded like it 'clicks' on and off. However, it doesn't come on as easily as just a slight tap. Sounds like unfortunatly Arc may be your best bet?

ZuluWhiskeyFox

Enlightened
I have a second. I have noticed similar problem. Found that the thickness of the rubber lip/spring holder thingy is very critical. It sounds to me like the lip on your rubber boot is somewhat compressed. I say that because I've noticed that overtightening of my tail cap reproduces your symptoms. Try placing some sort of spacer/thin washer between the rubber lip and the spring holder thingy. Or between the gold disc and the spring holder thingy. A little bit of fiddling of this nature resolved my switch problem. Mine being a second, sending it back for repair was much less attractive of an option for me.

good luck,

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast
AWTYD did you by chance change the battery type? I know that sometimes changing battery brands can cause something like this also.

mut

pyro

Enlightened
I have this behaviour too, the switch gives his
signal before it is completely pressed down and clicks.
This wasnt happening when it was new.
The problem is that sometimes a double click gets me in level 16.

kev1-1

Enlightened
Is this the problem fixed in the Arc 4+ Rev2? Are all these problems occuring on Rev1 Arcs, or across the board?

simbad

Enlightened
Since the past issues the last batch of 4+ are coming with a not very noticeable click but it works with no problems, the different feel of the switch between both versions is because the Rev2 body is about 1mm longer than its predecesor.
My light does not click at all but I feel the contact when Im pressing the button.

Sakugenken

Newly Enlightened
I also have a Rev. 1 and recently my switch has become a bit "soft". For example a single click sometimes drops me into level 16.

*Retired*
Also consider the disk in the head. It may have lost it's springiness (is that a word?) I lifted mine a bit and it has fixed all my issues with the switch. You can bend it out, by lifting it, it takes a bit of force.

cy

Flashaholic
Dad, your ARC AA body was shipped yesterday, so you should get it soon.

I've read your thread and are totally familiar with the issues related to ARC 4+ switch.

The base problem is the defective design by HDS. 4+ switch design is hyper sensitive to battery length. as little as .010in can throw your switch totally off. a dented battery can throw off some switches.

I've posted all this ad nauseum. I've almost given up at the lack of interest in my mod, that fixes most of the problems.

sensitivity will alway remain a problem in this HDS design. I've designed a mod to overcome the contact problems with arc 4, but stop pursuing due to lack of interest.

Like you I've mailed out for free, lots and lots of free rubber discs for mods.

To truely fix the problem, you really need to see the arc4 light. If your light is a first, I recommend sending in to peter, Arc will customize a fix for your particular ARC4 and get your ARC4 working perfect. But you still will have a exposed button. This is where I believe my mod is clearly superior. Also my mod reduces the switch linkage to the simplest possible form without using any padding to shift.

If you have a second you can follow the clear instrutions from the mod thread. You only need a rubber disc.

I was doing mods for free for some second owners and only asking payment for shipping back. That took so much time, I had to stop.

I've got extra gold disc now, but will not send out modded gold disc due to individual differences from unit to unit.

The details on how do do your own mod is already posted. you only need a 3/4in rubber disc. I lathe out a cutter so I've got a ton of rubber disc already punched.

I've posted this so many time I've given up trying to spread how excellent this mod is.

ZuluWhiskeyFox

Enlightened
cy, I've made my own version of your mod as you described in your posts. It works great. I can relate to it being very fussy about thicknesses of the various bits of material. Much fiddling was required to get it right. To cut the main rubber disc I fashioned a cutter out of a piece of copper pipe. I'm a big fan of this mod.

cheers,
zwf

cy

Flashaholic
Zulu, I glad you got the mod to work right. It's blindingly simple mod. The hard part is to get the right material punched out for the rubber discs.

ledy

Newly Enlightened
cy, are you still sending out the mod to people? I want one.

Status
Not open for further replies.