Smashed car Keep or Dump?

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was destined to become a classic. The 2001 Kia Rio in "Golden Sunburst" AKA Lime Green Metalflake, the only model year for that color. But alas, it was hydroplaned into another car. All cosmetic damage fortunately. But the dollar amount became (after a suprise revision of the estimate I was not told about until two days of arguing with the Insurance adjuster) more than the Insurance company was willing to pay.

The dilemma: Shold I let it suhffle quietly the mortal coils and let the Insurance company auction it off or keep it for myself and either sell it for salvage or slowly restore it? It would mean a measly $400 difference in payoff.

I know it would not have any post repair value but then again I don't get rid of cars until they are almost totally inert lumps and then usually donate them to Goodwill or similar. This would also be my first ever sub 100K abandonment of a car.

The car is still fully functional and has run for 400+ miles at highway speeds, even when not on the highway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Keep it if still street legal. Don't bother with a restoration. Kia's are extremely expensive to fix verses their value. If street legal, all the lights work and so forth then you can probably sell it for $1,500.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
The hood is smashed, the front right lamp assembly is toast and the inner crossbar-radiator-hood latch is bent but can be beaten out. The hood can possibly be hammered back close as it is not ripped or torn. No one was hurt at least the other persons didn't claim any injuries yet. And you can't tell I even hit the Neon but I suspect a whopper of a bill anyway.

It will have to be brought up to some level of repair to run on the street as it now will have a Salvage Title and Insurance will be hard to get. The BMV has to sign off that it passes their acceptance so it can be re titled as a recoverd or restored vehicle.

If the body shop took it apart to evaluate the "hidden damage" they didn't find first off due to not opening the hood and looking so they could get a lowball quote then I probably will let it go as I don't have the facilities to handle a car in a bag.

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why not donate it as it is then. Im sure some FD will take it to train with and I believe you get a tax deduction equal to the book value. Check around first tho.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
What!... cut up, smash and crush? EEEEK /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif

You barbarian. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

If it weren't running, wait no, that's sick. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick.gif

(Tounge planted firmly in cheek)

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
While cleaning out the car at the body shop and not decided fully yet what to do with it several factors some illogical and some purely emotional caused me to decide to keep it.

First with the nose and headlights removed, the "hidden damage" parts that pushed the car into totalville show no signs of damage to my untrained engineer eye. I assumed it was an attempt by the shop to lowball the bid to get the work and then spike it afterwards with unseen damage. I even watched an estimator adding phantom hidden damages to another car on the lot wile I was there. Phantom as that they would have been seen up front if they wanted to do it properly.

Second was when I had repeatedly stressed that my intent was to have it repaired if at all possible the shop damaged the rear quarters, previously unharmed by taping the bumper to it and scratching the panels and the trunk lid.

Third was the dork that removed my plates using the plate as a lever to break a metal screw "rusted solid" into a plastic nut, damaging the plate and breaking off the screw. That was what sealed the deal. Although I was leaning to keeping it anyway. The first case I understand is SOP for some smarmy repair centers and the latter two are a partial lack of respect for people and merchandise.

When I pointed out by fax to the shop I was keeping the car and expected the damage inflicted to be compensated for and to reply by fax I got an email to call so they wouldn't have anything on record. The excuses were rampant and weak.

If you want to really scare someone in an situation like this, don't complain and plead your case or displeasure. Do like Joe Friday and state your case once and then just use a one word "ok" or "right" to whatever excuse the other dweeb spouts. They want to engage you and intimidate you with a flurry of blah blah and the silent treatment freaks them out.

When I picked the car up tonight, no manager or estimator even set foot in the front even after the receptionist called them for a question about it. They did fix the broken plate screw but did not do a thing about the damage from the bumper taped to the trunk lid. They were going to charge me $75 for the teardown but they did not and if they did I would have contended based on their own estimates that the cost of paint and buffing out the damage they inflicted would mean they owed me money.

FYI, This endeavour has cemented my long held theory that places that blitz ad (billboard, local popular radio and TV) have to because they can't generate word of mouth to stay in business due to whatever reason, mostly poor service/treatment/ etc.

Now I am off to replace the hood and right lamp assembly. The rest of the damaged parts, even the plastic bumper are 100% intact as far as I know except for minor dings and scratches and at most need a little prep work to some minor bending back.

End of rant, I feel better now. I may eventually post before and after pics when the phoenix rises from the ashes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif