Emergency Flashlights ???

DavidTHR

Enlightened
Interesting article from newsmax.com about the importance of including a flashlight in your emergency kit (it's good to see the "flashaholic" message getting out to the general public):

Reprinted from NewsMax.com

Emergency Lighting – New Choices For Your Preparedness Needs

Bruce Mandelblit
Friday, July 30, 2004

Emergency lighting has never been more indispensable, especially for those people who have chosen to be proactive in their disaster preparedness. From the heartbreaking events of 9/11 almost three years ago, to much more recent occurrences, it is more evident than ever that proper lighting is a "must have" in every emergency plan.

Think about this: In about the last year alone, there has been extensive power outages in the Northeastern and Midwestern United States (including New York City as well as other major metropolitan areas); parts of Canada; the greater London area; and Italy. Add to these the deadly hurricane Isabel, the lethal California wildfires, and the recent flooding in the Northeast and Texas, many thousands of people and businesses have gone without power for as much as a week or more!

We are fortunate that in 2004, high-quality personal and emergency lighting comes in virtually all shapes, forms, sizes and prices. Here are a few of the latest in safety, security or convenience lighting that you may want to consider adding to your emergency kit:

Home Safety Light (www.cyberlux.com): This is a new emergency lighting system that is designed to provide up to a full-week of lighting from a single set of AA batteries. This Made in the USA product does not use bulbs, but rather white diodes that help to provide long-term lighting with a minimal use of battery power.

CC Trek Light (www.ccrane.com): The CC Trek Light features two white LEDs that provides a bright light for up to 50 continuous hours, plus it will produce a useful light for over 100 hours more. This functional light fits easily into a backpack or purse, and includes an elasticized lanyard.

Teknolite (www.teknolite.com): This is a unique looking flashlight that uses LED technology to generate about 150+ hours of burn-time on a set of batteries. It is shock, vibration, pressure and water resistant, and features "glow in the dark" locater lights to help to detect this flashlight in total darkness.

Arc Flashlight (www.arcflashlight.com): Although this small flashlight is powered by just a single AAA battery, it produces a powerful light using a LED. This American-made flashlight also has a run-time of about 5 hours on a single battery. A great size for attaching to a keychain or carrying in a purse.

TheLEDLight (www.theledlight.com): A distributor of many high-tech lights including the Streamlight 3C. The Streamlight 3C is a powerful and rugged 10 LED flashlight that produces up to 336 hours of run-time from a set of batteries.

Princeton Tec (www.princetontec.com): The Princeton Tec Impact Flashlight uses a single LED light that can see object about 50 yards away. It comes with 4 AA batteries for up to 150+ hours of use.

EternaLight (www.techass.com): The EternaLight from Technology Associates is a unique small personal light. It uses bright LEDs that have up to 700 hours of burn-time on a single set of batteries.

LED Headlamps (www.e-headlamps.com): E-Headlamps.com is a website specializing in LED Headlamps. In certain emergency situations, a LED Headlamp might just fit the bill since it will allow the use of both hands while providing a brilliant light. Popular models of LED Headlamps include the Black Diamond Ion, the CMG Tracer and the Princeton Tec Scout.

PALights (www.palights.com): The PALight is an American-made palm-sized personal and emergency flashlight. It features a LED that has multiple modes of use including a high-beam mode and an "always-on" mode.

Inova Flashlight (www.inovalight.com): Inova makes many different models of LED flashlights including the X5. The handheld X5 floodlight features 5 LEDs which are visible to about 2 miles and have an approximate 20+ hour burn-time on set of batteries.

Pak-Lite (www.paklite.net): The Pak-Lite is a new LED duel-mode flashlight that is pocket-sized and can be seen up to 1 mile. It is available with either a red or white LED and it snaps directly on to a 9-volt battery. It has up to a 10-year shelf life, and it will operate for about 200 hours on a high setting or about 1,200 hours on a low setting.

Lite Tracker (www.graceindustries.com): The Lite Tracker is one of many models of emergency and safety lights made by Grace Industries. The Lite Tracker is a small and lightweight light that uses LEDs to offer high visibility at a distance of up to 1 mile. This Made in the USA personal safety light is manufactured using industrial grade plastic and is water-resistant.

A Quick Security Tip: Be sure to have an ample supply of the appropriate batteries available for the emergency lighting products you have. During an actual emergency, it may be very difficult, if not impossible, to obtain spare batteries.

My Final Thoughts: Emergency lighting has literally gone through a high-tech revolution. Today, we are fortunate to have a wide choice of quality lights from which to select. It is good idea is to think about obtaining different types of lighting products for distinct uses. For instance, you may want to get a certain light designed for long-term illumination in case of a power outage; a powerful and rugged flashlight for your vehicle; a reliable light for your keychain; and so on.

Do your research, and you will find the utmost in security, safety and convenience lighting for your specific needs.

And, remember, now is the time to acquire your emergency lighting, before it may be needed for the next man-made or natural disaster.

(Thanks to the lighting manufacturers and distributors who provided information and examples of their products.)

Note: If you manufacture or distribute any Security, Safety, Emergency Preparedness, Homeland Defense or Crime Prevention related products, please send information on your product line for possible future reference in this column to: [email protected].

Copyright 2004 by Bruce Mandelblit

Bruce welcomes your thoughts. His email address is: [email protected]. Bruce is a nationally known security journalist, as well as a recently retired, highly decorated reserve Law Enforcement Officer. Bruce writes Staying Safe, a weekly syndicated column covering the topics of security, safety and crime prevention. Bruce was commissioned as a Kentucky Colonel - the state's highest honor - for his public service.

This column is provided for general information purposes only. Please check with your local law enforcement agency and legal professional for information specific to you and your jurisdiction.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Cool, David, I think we are all aware of the need for preparedness, particularly here in NYC, but very few have actually done anything about it.

Even for a flashaholic like me, who keeps all sorts of crap because "I might need it someday," I only just finished preparing bailout bags for my wife and I.

daloosh

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
daloosh said:
Cool, David, I think we are all aware of the need for preparedness, particularly here in NYC, but very few have actually done anything about it.

Even for a flashaholic like me, who keeps all sorts of crap because "I might need it someday," I only just finished preparing bailout bags for my wife and I.

daloosh

[/ QUOTE ]

I was down in the Bronx a few weeks ago, and we had a massive thunderstorm. I had my usual raingear and stuff (daypack, waterproof hat, poncho, etc.) and I got a lot of weird looks from people - especially when I walked into a restaurant. I was dressed and prepared logically for the kinds of conditions we were expecting. There was after all a severe thunderstorm watch, and numerous warnings had been issued. But I got the impression that people who live in highly urban areas don't tend to think about things like that. I think they're very accustomed to having a lot of services nearby, and tend to rely very heavily on local government. This is very different from the mentality that people have who live in in rural areas. Sorry to say, but unless city folk change their approach to these kinds of issues, I think some of them may get a very rude awakening one day.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Woo hoo! Arc & Eternalights were mentioned in the article! Great to see these guys get more exposure and be up top there with the rest of them! Oh sorry, nearly missed that out, eHeadlamps is also one of our sponsors here... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Thanks for sharing this David! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sounds like this Bruce guy might be a bit of a flashaholic himself... he mentions multiple lights for multiple purposes... and to do more 'research' for stuff like that. I'm guessing CPF will be getting more hits & new members in the next few weeks or so!

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting read,
My emergency lights are Elektrolumens Anglelux 2D (24 hours of run time) and Arc AA (13 hours on lithium AA)
Have a 5W Cyan 5D Mag and it ran over a month of gradually dimming light. Not much use after 2 weeks as a walking light but usable after a month.
The longest electrical outage that has hit me in the last few years was 7 hours. The Arc AA lit up my bedroom perfectly and makes a great reading light. The Anglelux worked well as a living room light.
I keep a few lithium AA batteries around as an emergency power source for my Arc AA and a 12 pack of AA alkalines for my modded mags. Arc AAA on the keychain works well and is always with me.

DavidTHR

Enlightened
I was very happy to see a article about the importance of quality flashlights.

I think this is a VERY IMPORTANT message to get out to the general public: Purchase a few quality flashlights RIGHT NOW, and extra batteries, BEFORE they are needed.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is cool to have someone writing stuff like this but I think this fella is just biased. Where are all the incands? In a foggy scenario I realized that incands are working better than LED and can you imagine what will happen if there is a fire? People might just get trapped because their LEDs can't work as well as incands do in showing details through smoke.

JOshooter

Enlightened
I like that Arc, and Eternalight were mentioned, and M@g was finaly no where to be found.

I laughed at the fact that one light uses "white diodes", another uses "white LEDs", and another uses "LED technology".

It would have been great if this board was mentioned so the public can be educated that much more.

DavidTHR

Enlightened
JUST LOOK AT TODAY'S NEWS HEADLINES:

The new increased terror alert in NYC, DC and NJ (and Tropical Storm Alex near the Carolinas), it only reminds me of the great importance of having the proper "emergency flashlights" available at home, work and vehicle -- as well as on one's person !!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

HesNot

Enlightened
I'm sitting in Myrtle Beach SC waiting on Alex - thankfully I packed my SL TT2l, an Arc 4+, Arc LSH-P and Streamlight Strion. I've got a few sets of NiMH AAs fully charged for the LSHP and the SL TT has seen little use but I should get around 20 hours out of the led mode, not to mention my 4+ at the dimmest setting. We should be in pretty good shape for light, if nothing else! I do wish I'd packed my Infinity Ultra, nothing like some long burn time... Also a time when I wish I had a really long runtime light... Oh well.

DavidTHR

Enlightened
I just received an email from a friend who lives near Hatteras Island in North Carolina.

Hurricane Alex cut his power for a few hours, and he reports his Inova X5 worked great during this power outage.

My friend is NOT a Flashoholic -- the Inova X5 (by the way, a birthday gift from me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif) was the ONLY flashlight he had during the hurricane, plus about a dozen candles!

Maybe on his next birthday, I will send him an ARC.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
The X5T will produce useable light with, otherwise dead, cells that won't work in an Arc or TT-1. I wonder if the TT-2 fares better (with its LEDs) than the 1L and very used cells?

The X5T will work with depleted cells that show only a couple hundredth of a "flash amp." I'm glad I was, recently, given one as a gift because I probably wouldn't have spent the $$.

BTW, is 250mA a normal current consumption for new cells? Thanks.