Mounting Flashlight to a Rifle

CESDewar

Newly Enlightened
We are in the process of developing protocols and procedures for dealing with the recapture of escaped animals at night and I'm investigating the practicality of mounting a high-powered flashlight to a dart rifle (Pneudart) to handle these scenarios. This is a pretty standard bolt-action rifle (with an extra barrel for the projector) to which I can easily mount standard rifle scopes, etc. I've been very impressed with the light output and coverage from Pila flashlights in tests, but I do need to find something a bit more robust than duct tape as an attachment method. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

If anyone has had some specific experience either in terms of mounting lights or recommendations, it would be very helpful. I want to run some tests comparing the accuracy we can achieve with conventional illumination versus using night-vision goggles among other things.

With the level of safety and security at our facility, I don't ever expect to have to deal with a real situation, but we take nothing for granted and always have plans in place for even the least likely eventualities.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahh, my favorite subject /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif. I went through many trials and tribulations searching for a mount to use on several models of shotguns. I finally found a sourxe for what I consider to be the best most secure and elegant set up I have come across.

The maker of the mounts can be found here.

http://www.litemounttech.com/
Ask for Mark, the web site needs a lot of work. He has numerous other types of mounts not shown on the site. He makes the mounts for laser devices. On the laser devices site you can view a PDF of the mounts that are available.

http://www.laserdevices.com/accessories/acc_mounts_search.asp

juancho

Enlightened
I have two home made ways to mount a flashlight to a rifle.
The flashlight I use is the TACM III with a remote switch cord. TACM (Tactical Mounts) flashlights are shorther and ligther than a 6P and are made of the same plastic material as the stealth figther, they use a lamp similar to the 6P, with an integrated reflector, but of 105 lumens. They are considered to be one of the longest throw flashlights.

The way I have mounted mine in a Ruger Mini 14, is by attaching to the stock with two screws and epoxie, a number 45 Weaver base (scope mounting hardware) and a regular 1" Weaver ring to the flashlight.

The other home made way, used the same flashlight, but because I didn't want any holes in my 7400 Remington nice wood stock, I placed a strip of camo tape on the stock where I wanted the mount, then I place a male strip of Sticky Back velcro 3/4 " wide over the camo tape (you could also use masking tape) them a strip of "female" velcro go on the botton of a Weaver base that is made for the Marlin 336 (I don't have the part # ) you joint the two velcros and help then to stay there with two heavy short thick rubber bands(I get then out of broccoly's ) and is ready to accept the flashlight in the Weaver ring.
The sticky back Velcro tape, I get from Campmor, it come in black rolls 15 feet long by 3/4 inch.

That way the flashlight is easily removable and not marks are left in a nice wooden stock.

Hope it help.

Juan C.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Should you go the Velcro route. 3M makes a product called "double lock". It is much more sturdy thatn Velcro and is a solid plastic item that works in similar fashion. We use it to mount our patrol car radar and computers to the dash and other locations. It has a much higher lateral strength and keeps things in place even when there is an accident. Several places on the net sell it by the yard.