need help regarding white CMG Infinity

L.E.D.

Enlightened
hello, I just got back home from popular outdoor store with the above mentioned light. How flat is the output of this light, during the claimed 41 hours? is it pretty constant(anyone have a chart of the output?)? what about the O-ring....can I use silicon lubricant on it? I really like it so far.

L.E.D.

Enlightened
help meee! Oh yeah, it is also possible to achieve two levels of brightness, if you just barely twist it enough to contact (this takes effort because you have to twist it really slowly), you get low light output. twist it to how tight you would regularly twist it and you get the regular bright light.

papasan

Enlightened
i've never done any comparisons and i'm still on the original lithium battery in my infinity...but it seems to me that the circuit (as posted on their web site) is not a very sophisticated one...i would think that the output closely mirrors they input...ie, lower the input lower the output...

Evan

Enlightened
papasan: The circuit for the infinity is on their website? Have you got the URL?

Burried somewhere on cmgequipment.com I saw an offer for older models & prototypes 2 for $20. I had thought of getting a few to play with their innards, but I figured the schematic was not available and expected if I asked I'd be told it's proprietary.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Evan:
papasan: The circuit for the infinity is on their website? Have you got the URL?

Burried somewhere on cmgequipment.com I saw an offer for older models & prototypes 2 for $20. I had thought of getting a few to play with their innards, but I figured the schematic was not available and expected if I asked I'd be told it's proprietary.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I almost did that -until I noticed that TTS was selling the
new models (complete with lanyard and pocket clip), for only $2. more each.
shocked.gif

L.E.D.

Enlightened
Hey i tried a nearly dead battery just now papasan, measured at 1.07 volts, and it's still bright enough to light up my whole room using it as a candle. Seems their circuitry is pretty good (1.1 volts to at least 3.6 isn't that bad). I bet Arc AAA's or LS circuit is better, but that's why it's more expensive.

papasan

Enlightened
no, i haven't seen an actual schematic of the circuit, just the picture of one here...i dunno much about circuits, but to me it looks like a rather large coil, a couple (3?) small capacitors and a few resistors...maybe someone with more EE experience can make more observations on it...

as i said, just a guess of mine, a 'hunch' as it were...i haven't done any actual tests...

StuU

Enlightened
That's funny. The CMG site claims that leds are 3-5 times more efficient than incandescent bulbs. I thought that led efficiency was near equal with incandescent sources?

Also, look up the thread a few weeks back called Improving the CMG Infinity.

papasan

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ColdLight:
Hey i tried a nearly dead battery just now papasan, measured at 1.07 volts, and it's still bright enough to light up my whole room using it as a candle.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

how does it compare to a new battery?...and did it measure 1.07V with no load or powering something?...

LEDs are more efficient then standard household incandescents...they are almost on par with standard halogen bulbs...this is just with white - colored LEDs have a much better efficiencey because they only produce the nanometer color, unlike incadescents which produce only white light and then the unwanted colors are filtered out...

machspass

Newly Enlightened
I checked out the circuit on their web site. I'm sure that the circuit involves more than just passive components. I can see what looks to be a SOT-23 package transistor in front of the LED leads. There are probably other parts behind the LED and inductor that we can't see. You would need transistors and/or an IC to get the boost capability. Remember, some ICs can look like transistors, like the Zetex IC.
grin.gif

The Zetex circuit is one of the best that I've found. I took some current input/output measurements with respect to input voltage and I was rather impressed. I can post some of these if someone wants them, but maybe it should be in another thread since it's kinda off-topic.

Just let me know.
smile.gif
smile.gif

Evan

Enlightened
Actually, I've been wadeing thru the "Zetex ZXSC300 single-cell LED driver" thread for the last couple of evenings. Up to page 30.
Hope there is a summary when I get nearly up to current. Definitely want to try building this circuit, but no use ordering parts until I've gleaned all the experiences I can.

L.E.D.

Enlightened
hey anyone with an infinity, on the back of your circuit board, the one with the positive contact, is there one small, circular hole on it? there is on mine, I'm not sure if it was there originally....., pretty sure it was though. just making sure i didn't overtighten the head. What if you DO overtighten it with a battery in it??

L.E.D.

Enlightened
hey anyone with an infinity, on the back of your circuit board, the one with the positive contact, is there one small, circular hole on it? there is on mine, I'm not sure if it was there originally....., pretty sure it was though. just making sure i didn't overtighten the head. What if you DO overtighten it with a battery in it??

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> hey anyone with an infinity, on the back of your circuit board, the one with the positive contact, is there one small, circular hole on it? there is on mine, I'm not sure if it was there originally....., pretty sure it was though. just making sure i didn't overtighten the head. What if you DO overtighten it with a battery in it?? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes, I have a hole in the back of mine. I assume it might be to allow for escape/catalyzing of hydrogen gas from battery.
I've tightened mine down pretty firmly and it is still working, I don't notice it being brighter between tight andTIGHT. If you do overtighten I assume if there was damage it would be covered by CMG's warranty.
My suggestion don't overtighten.
wink.gif