Eternalight questions

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm considering the new Eternalight Elite X-ray, but I use rechargeables. I know it lasts a long time on a set of batteries, but I plan on driving it hard. Anyone use the eternalights on rechargeables?

Any other kinds of comments about these lights would also be appreciated. Size, weight, feel, beam, etc.

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Guy,

I own 3 Elite-XRays and an Ergo. The Elites are *bright*! But I realized that this max brightness can only be realized when using lithium AAs. Alkalines just didn't produce the same output, let alone lower-voltage rechargeables.

Another thing that might discourage you from using rechargeables in any eternalight is the self-discharge rate of nimhs and the fact that battery changes on eternalights in general are more cumbersome than any regular twist-off/twist-on light.

You'll need a screwdriver to tackle the 4 small screws and some patience in taking it apart, replacing the cells and putting it back together again. The assembly bit needs your full attention because water-tightness depends a lot on putting it back together as the manufacturer intended. This light was not designed for you to have to change batteries frequently, for sure!

Battery changes on the Elites are more pleasant than on the earlier models, but its not something you'd want to do monthly(which you'd probably have to do if you're 'topping-off' the nimhs regularly as generally recommended). Otherwise, with lithiums, this light is maintenance-free!

Otherwise, my Elites are *the* benchmark against which I measure all other LED lights I buy/assemble. So far, my elites have proven to be very, very satisfying, even against bigger lights with more LEDs, practically matching my 7-LED LW3000, for instance. Just tonight, I matched an elite up against a bare Luxeon Star/w optics (running on 3xAA alks), and it did well indeed! I'm hoping to post pix soon.

As for the other qualities of the light, I like the way it feels in my hand, the quality of the build, that it floats with lithiums and the nightbeacon. Tough as boots too. Its the first light I grab everytime, and the one i always pack on a trip. Got one in my car and on my fridge door too.

Yes, I love my elites! It'll probably take some future new model elite with LS emitters to shift my current elites from their place of prime regard!
grin.gif
cool.gif

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh yeah, Guy, forgot to add:

Even though my elite is an EDC, I use my LW3000/LW4000/VersaluxULM for when I'm sure I'll need max brightness for long durations. I use nimhs on my versaluxULM. IMHO, eternalights in general were *meant* to be used in their dimmer modes most of the time, thus utilizing the microprocessor. So, maybe the elite *isn't* quite for you if you're thinking of blasting full power most of the time. If not for my other lights, I'd pick an Arc-LS for that purpose!
smile.gif

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by geepondy:
Is there a cheaper place to order the elite xray yet, other then the $79.99 at the Techass web site?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Geepondy, try here:
http://www.theledlight.com/elite-xray.html

The ad's been around for awhile, so hope there's still stock available. Good luck!

cool.gif

Spork

Enlightened
oh wow on sale for 74 dollars
shocked.gif
The arc ls doesn't look so expensive after all
grin.gif

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cyclops942:
Yes, the price was $34.99! For that price, I'll buy my own lithium AAs, and make it into a better-than-Marine model.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

$34.99 is for a regular XRay, not the Elite. The regular Xray doesn't have the newer tougher body, improved battery case, the magnet, the reinforced screwholes and most importantly, the uprated (S-Rank) LEDs! So, even if you stick in lithiums, you're still missing out on quite a bit against the Elite. Those uprated LEDS are *noticeably* brighter! Well 5600mcd vs 6400mcds (x4), you get the picture
smile.gif