Brinkmann 3 'D' Cell, With Luxeon Star

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brinkmann 3 \'D\' Cell, With Luxeon Star

I purchased a Brinkmann 3 'D' cell flashlight. What a nice looking flashlight. The rubber on the outside is perfect for cold weather use. I used only 1 ohm resistance, and man, is it ever bright!

Go to my web page to see more details and photos.

Brinkmann / Luxeon Star Flashlight

Wayne www.elektrolumens.com
grin.gif

JollyRoger

Enlightened
Re: Brinkmann 3 \'D\' Cell, With Luxeon Star

Nice flashlight!
I like the rubber....keeps the hands from getting too cold in the winter.

smile.gif

remuen

Enlightened

Hi Wayne

As I thought I had to wait only a few days since you have showed up you last mod. And once again I have to keep back my critical comments
grin.gif
grin.gif
because this mod is again a good one. I like your mods! And this Brinkman is really a nice flashlight.
smile.gif
smile.gif

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast

Slowly, he lowers the resistance, ohm by ohm, soon he'll try the direct drive. Something about the intoxicating effects of bright light............

Real nice mod Wayne, I too like the Brinkmann lights, very nice looking.

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JollyRoger:
Nice flashlight!
I like the rubber....keeps the hands from getting too cold in the winter.

smile.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The rubber on the outside of this flashlight is a really nice idea. It seems to me I read somewhere that someone was talking about putting some kind of rubber protection on a Mag Lite. This flashlight seems to be every bit as well made as a Mag Lite, including the switch, and it already has the rubberized outside on it! Now it has the Luxeon Star in it for super long battery life, what more could you want (except a smaller size, perhaps?)

wink.gif

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lambda:
Slowly, he lowers the resistance, ohm by ohm, soon he'll try the direct drive. Something about the intoxicating effects of bright light............

Real nice mod Wayne, I too like the Brinkmann lights, very nice looking.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello Lamda,

You're right about that, lowering the resistance. As a matter of fact, with this Brinkmann, I first set it up direct drive. It is really bright. It is just about as bright with 1 ohms resistance, though.

If I were keeping this flashlight for myself, I'd use no resistance and drive it direct. As it is up for auction on eBay, I thought I'd put a little resistance in it. I don't want it to take too much of a chance of it burning out.

I also noticed the battery life is less with 1 ohms resistance than with 3 ohms. The flashlights are brighter with 3 ohms after 48 hours of burn time, than after 36 hours burn time with 1 ohms. However, afte 24 hours, they are both super bright. Most people seem to be interested in long battery life, and this is the big interest point with these oversized monsters!

Brinkmann/Luxeon on eBay

grin.gif
shocked.gif

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by remuen:
Hi Wayne

As I thought I had to wait only a few days since you have showed up you last mod. And once again I have to keep back my critical comments
grin.gif
grin.gif
because this mod is again a good one. I like your mods! And this Brinkman is really a nice flashlight.
smile.gif
smile.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Remuen,

Wayne

wink.gif

JollyRoger

Enlightened

That's why I like the green Coleman (2AA) flashlight with the tail cap switch. I modified mine with the 1674 regulator (thanks to dat2zip) and machined out the inside to take 2 "A" size nimh. Super long battery life and extra bright!
shocked.gif

I'll post pics soon...Can you host them, Wayne?

I love the "bright light," too, but I'm starting to wonder if it's worth it. I mean, after a certain point, you're heat sinking so much and losing so much energy to heat...

For now, I think the most I'll go so driving the Luxeon at around 380 - 400 mA. I just don't like the idea of trying to find a really efficient regulator...and then driving the heck out of the ls...

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JollyRoger:
That's why I like the green Coleman (2AA) flashlight with the tail cap switch. I modified mine with the 1674 regulator (thanks to dat2zip) and machined out the inside to take 2 "A" size nimh. Super long battery life and extra bright!
shocked.gif

I'll post pics soon...Can you host them, Wayne?

I love the "bright light," too, but I'm starting to wonder if it's worth it. I mean, after a certain point, you're heat sinking so much and losing so much energy to heat...

For now, I think the most I'll go so driving the Luxeon at around 380 - 400 mA. I just don't like the idea of trying to find a really efficient regulator...and then driving the heck out of the ls...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello Roger,

Sure, email me any pics you want posted. Perhaps I can dedicate a web page to CPF members photos. ??

I have the same Colemn flashlight too, and have been thinking, thinking, thinking on how I want to modify it?

One idea I have, both for the Coleman 2 AA and also perhaps the Mini Mag is to connect 2 flashlight bodies together, thus, 4 AA's, and put in about 5 ohms resistance. There you have it. Well, just an idea.

The Coleman 2 AA is really nice because the head is so big. The aluminum disc I make for the 3 'D' cells fits right into the head of the Coleman 2 AA, and the Luxeon Star with optics will bolt right onto it. I only found this out this morning. I could put the voltage regulator dat2zip has made behind the Luxeon Star, or somehow figure out a way to attach 2 of the flashlight bodies together.

grin.gif