What was your FIRST EDC and when?

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just found the first light I ever EDC'ed - it was a red 10mm LED direct driven off two tiny coin cells, I believe 1.5V each, LR41. It was a keychain light, something that used to have the logo of a company I used to work with and still miss working for. That was five years ago in 1999. It was more of a toy, though I did use it to find many a keyhole on a dark night. It wasn't any more useful than that, but it was a sign of things to come. Maybe they were far more progressive than I ever imagined they were - LEDs in an EDC back when LEDs weren't anything more useful than indicators. The LED was replaced several months later by a (relatively) more useful Mag Solitaire. Red just doesn't render color correctly. Today of course my EDC is a KL1, and I have a C2 that I'm trying out.

I'm interested in hearing what started you carrying lights, when you started carrying them, vs what you are carrying now.

cool4light

Newly Enlightened
it was a black mag solitaire around 12 years ago. i did not know any better /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
at the time i thought it was a great little light.
then i found out the little swiss army knife that had a red led and started carring that.
then i found out about CPF and now carry arc aaa - the swiss army knife light- and a higher output such as arc lsl or whatever the situation warrants.

sidespill

Enlightened
I'm guilty of EDCing the solitare as well. Don't lie guys you did it too. Before that I used a bic lighter because i used to smoke and it was always there and was all I had.

double_r76

Newly Enlightened
Just started EDC with a light this year... Arc AAA. I've also got a Glowring on the keychain. Not really sure why it tool me so long, I've been EDCing a pocket knife for the past 16 years!

-Randy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first EDC was a 2xAA chrome-plated brass penlight issued to me in the US Marines 35 years ago.

paulr

Flashaholic
I think my first EDC would have been an Eveready penlight around age 12. I remember EDC'ing a plastic "Bullseye" 2AA light which used a #222 screwbase bulb in a reflector a while later. They still make those things and they are nice little lights. I also liked the Garrity-type disposable penlights that they also still make.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm you guys sure have been carrying a lot longer than I have. Don't feel bad about the solitaire - a decade and a half ago it was really the best EDC you could obtain - most of us wouldn't have heard of this amazing "Surefire 3P". Back then LEDs were little things for sticking in the front of computers to tell you that the power was on (as if you didn't already know). A friend gave me the Solitaire five years ago, and it was only in December 2003 that we even talked about placing our first Surefire orders. Surprisingly, the Solitaire has gotten me through a lot of interesting situations, like they say it's surprising how little light you can just get by with.

Of course, these days, the more the better. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

rastaman

Newly Enlightened
my first edc light was a gag-lite solitaire about 10 years ago. replaced it later with a photon II.

capnal

Enlightened
Just this morning I had a flashback memory.
My wife brought my coffee to me while I was shaving. She also brought me this MiniMag 2xAAA that I was asking her about the night before. Brought back a memory for me. Back in 1991, my friend David and I did a lot of hanging out at city parks and stuff where it was wooded and away from everyone else. He had one of these MiniMag 2xAAA's in blue and I thought that was the coolest thing ever. I quickly went to Target and bought a pack that had a 2D and 2xAAA together, green. We carried those MiniMags and used them a lot. After that I pretty much had that light with me whereever I went. I guess that would be my first EDC light.

David died in 1993. His father still has his blue MiniMag. My original green one was lost on a camping trip somewhere around 1997. I have 3 of them now although they are not my EDC. Sort of sentimental I suppose. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Tekna (sp?) keychain light. Bright and fairly large for the keychain. I believe it was part of a gift to my mom, but she decided that I would make better use of it. That was about 15 years ago.

flashlight_widow

Enlightened
What a lovely wife you must have, capnal. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm fairly new to the flashaholic scene, so my first EDC is my current EDC - a Surefire E1. It was purchased for me about 3 years ago.

Arizona_Dan

Newly Enlightened
A black Solitaire, maybe 15 years ago; it's now more silver than black; haven't used in years, but can't bear to part with it. Been through a lot together. Now, an ARC AAA.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Solitaire that exploded when I left it in my pants (only 2 weeks old and I hated the dim beam) Now the Arc AAA

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Minimag 2AA back in the 80's, Pelican 2AA waterproof light in the 90's. Minimag 2AA BB500 Luxeon in 2002 and a Minimag 2AA BB500 R2H SX17 and Arc AAA-P these days.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
In all honesty, I never EDC'd a flashlight until (very) shortly after joining this board. My first was an Arc AAA. (Of course shortly after, it became an Arc N, and then....) (You bastids! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

Larry

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mag solitaire here probably bought it 10 years ago. Black but worn completely down to silver. Wore out a couple renewal rechargeable alkaline batteries and . . . still has the original bulb.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Solitaire for a long while starting back in 93 or so, then nothing for a long while. Now Ultra-G, waiting for my ArcAAA.