Proprietary Bulbs...UGH!

flashlite

Enlightened
I abhor any device that uses proprietary (and usually expensive) replacement parts that you'll inevitably be required to replace. This includes flashlight bulbs. I like the comfort of knowing that, when I really need to replace a bulb fast, I can go to the local department store, hardware store, grocery store or even a convenience store to instantly get a replacement no matter where I am. Sure you can carry a spare proprietary bulb but, aside from the hindrance of that, what if the replacement bulb blows or is broken during a long camping trip or other excursion? LED's are nice in certain situations but even they should be easily replaceable considering the prospect of future advancements in this technology. And with PR type bulbs, you still have the option of converting to LED and vise versa with something like the EverLED bulb.

My question is, am I limited to flange base, PR type bulbs if I want fast, easy, readily available and fairly cheap replacements? Have flashlight manufacturers started using a "standard" for bi-pin bulbs yet? It seems to me that the trend is toward proprietary replacement bulbs that are really only available through limited outlets on the internet. Many of these bulbs are even inseparable from the reflector!